It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

obama buys 30 minute timeslot on network tv

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Obama just purchased a 30 minute timeslot. this along with the channel he bought on the dish network is some interesting spending of money. I dont think ive ever heard anything like this. WIll it work? Waste of money? This is a no flame thread. No need to come here calling Obama a terrorist here. Simple debate on this use of campaign dollars compared to mccain.

obama buys 30 minutes timeslot

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Very wise, I would say. Current events require more than sound bites to explain. If he addresses problems from an intellectual and reasonable point of view, people will respect him all the more.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
does he just plan on talking for 30 minutes? like a state of the nation speech? if it is, it will not be received very well. it will come across as presumptiious. especially if he is sitting behind a desk with a flag behind him.
i am curious to see what he does with his 30 minutes.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Is he going to put up his own personal presidential seal? Seriously, if he expects to get independents to view he better drop some promos or teasers.
In a way it gives McCain ammo. McCain can bring up how Obama broke his pledge to accept public finance. Furthermore for someone who campaigns feel like McCain no longer stands a chance they sure are working overtime.

Do you think if his viewer ship numbers are small that this could backfire on him?

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

it very well could backfire in so many ways.

and don't count mccain out yet, i made that mistake during the rpimaries when they showed him walking through the airport alone carrying his own briefcase and he had just "let go" of most of his staff.

problem is...mccain never counts out mccain

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I read (I forget where - or did I hear it?) that Obama wants to reach all of the states. He doesn't want to ignore the states like California and New York that he is certain to win and hasn't campaigned in. He wants to reach all of the people and win the popular vote by a margin so he will be more of a president of all the people instead of just 51% of them.

I think this is a great idea and no matter if he's sitting behind a desk with a flag and a seal or is wearing a Burger King crown, it's what he has to say that I'm interested in. I'm really quite tired of all these extraneous deflections and the politics of distraction and deflection.

As a nation, we are better than that and we are smarter than that.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I'm really quite tired of all these extraneous deflections and the politics of distraction and deflection.

As a nation, we are better than that and we are smarter than that.

Oh yes BH you should be tired of these kind of threads:

Tina Fey as Sarah Palin "Really Great!!""
www.belowtopsecret.com...

or

McCain Without Shame: Hired Operative Who Slimed his Daughter
www.abovetopsecret.com...

or

Palin's First Interview (because it is sooo important)

or

Sarah Palin is the GOP's Obama!

or

McCain is Looking and Sounding More Like Bush Every Day (because they look sooo much alike)

or

Cindy McCain's Half-Sister Voting for Obama (because the woman shouldn't have her own opinion)

or

McCain's Jealous & Pouting for Attention (oh, very important journalism)

does the word hypocrite do anything for ya?

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Notice I did say "WE are better than that".
I include myself. I never claimed innocence, so, no, hypocrisy is not the issue. It's a seductive political game and most of us who spend any time in politics are guilty of it.

I'm STILL tired of it.

I wouldn't consider most of your list as deflection, however. The last 2, yes, definitely, but the others are either interesting discussion pieces, indications of a candidate's integrity or comedy!
(which all have their place in intelligent political discourse)

Sorry bknapple32, to be off topic.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Obama is emerging as the most savvy politico in a generation and he may end up making Bill look like an amatuer.

Don't believe me? Think about it he totally blindsided and out manuvered Hillary Clinton and is now doing the same to McCain who simply does not have the funds to compete.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Fathom

Again, more deflection. It seems to be your method of operation...

Nonetheless, this is a smart strategic move on Obama's part. First, McCain can't compete on the same level due to monetary constraints. Second, having the opportunity to get his core message out nationwide during peak prime time hours a scant week before election day brings him top of mind. Third, Obama is a charismatic, eloquent and persuasive orator.

That, my friend, is a great combination.

McCain has a difficult road ahead of him.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fuzzy Wabbit
reply to post by Fathom

Again, more deflection. It seems to be your method of operation...

no, that is not my m o but this is:
i put trolls on ignore
c-ya

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I just wanted to bump this up to remind people that it's tomorrow night, Wednesday, Oct 29.

It will air on CBS, NBC and FOX at 8 PM.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I guess the World Series whiners have been somewhat silences on this issue....since the rain is doing a fine job of delaying it as it is. Rain, ahhh, no biggie. Obama...wawawawa!

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I just wanted to bump this up to remind people that it's tomorrow night, Wednesday, Oct 29.

It will air on CBS, NBC and FOX at 8 PM.

8pm EST

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Anyone in here thought about what propaganda strategies might be employed in this 30 min ad?

He can't go negative... that would make people stop watching...

Is he going to target independent voters? or is he going to try and re-engergize his supporters to ensure they turn out at the polls?

What response could McCain come up with to this whole ordeal?

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
if you call laying out his tax plan and getting rid of all the lies about him propaganda, you have your answer. i call it telling it like it is.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   
nah, just laying out a tax plan and fighting against lies doesn't equate to propaganda.

Most of the time, Propaganda is the methods employed to get a point across...

wiki definition is

Propaganda is a concerted set of messages aimed at influencing the opinions or behaviors of large numbers of people. As opposed to impartially providing information, propaganda in its most basic sense presents information in order to influence its audience. Propaganda often presents facts selectively (thus lying by omission) to encourage a particular synthesis, or gives loaded messages in order to produce an emotional rather than rational response to the information presented. The desired result is a change of the cognitive narrative of the subject in the target audience to further a political agenda.

Political Campaigns are almost, by definition, Propaganda Machines

I'm just wondering if he will deviate from his current methods that he likes to use... THe Obama campaign has been genius at doing this by using only mild propaganda techniques that are typically viewed by the observer to be positive in nature... Thus enabling him to assume a "moral high ground"

Keep in mind, I've stated in threads I will not reveal who I'm supporting until after the election. I am purely interested in understanding why propaganda is so effective... and fully understanding the popular methods used in today's day and age....

What better time to do this than during an election cycle... where almost all messages put out by either campaign are going to have "spin".

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by MOFreemason
8pm EST

Yes, thank you.

It's also apparently going to be aired on MSNBC.

nj2day, I hadn't really thought about it. I just want to see what he has to say and I'll judge it afterward, not before.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
p.s fox came out to say that obama did not delay the world series AT ALL. the game was ALWAYS scheduled for an 830 start..

more lies from mccain.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

Apparently ESPN was lying, too, because last night, they were claiming the game had an 8pm ET start. At least that's what was on the ticker at the bottom of the screen.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join