It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: U.S. spied on Americans' intimate conversations abroad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Report: U.S. spied on Americans' intimate conversations abroad

www.cnn.com

Congress is looking into allegations that National Security Agency linguists have been eavesdropping on Americans abroad.

The congressional oversight committees said Thursday that the Americans targeted included military officers in Iraq who called friends and family in the United States
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Are you F ing kidding me? When are people going to rise up? How long are we going to take this lying down? Now they are spying on our troops phone calls to home. Listening to phone sex? I would rather live in Congo right now that in this piece of $hit country we call america. Our country is dead folks,D.E.A.D.

See you in the camps!

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by cbass
When are people going to rise up?

d'you mean 'rise up' as in those NSA geeks getting all hot and flustered at listening to ordinary folks' intimate conversations? Makes you wonder if the acronym 'NSA' stands for 'No Sex Allowed'

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I can only speak from a military standpoint....but it is common knowledge that when one is deployed and talks to someone back home that the calls could be and probably are monitored. I know this as fact and from experience.

Makes sense to me, as most of these people are in hot spots and we cant have some looser telling unauthorized people where they are what they are doing.

However, not sure if this story is talking about this known practice.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
From another military viewpoint, even phone calls made from US bases in US are prone to be monitored. This is routine and is common knowledge among service members.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by cbass

Personally, I have to wonder why they would do this. I would be surprised if .5% of these calls had anything to do with terrorism. In fact it would not surprise me if the percentage is zero. So what would be the purpose of monitoring them. I am afraid that this is possibly a test bed for recording all calls made into, out of, and within America. Very scary stuff indeed.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by BluegrassRevolutionary

Because their are many people in the military who have secret and top secret clearances. This isn't something new. It has been happening way before 9/11. A friend of mine got busted to lance corporal because he was having an affair with a married woman. They caught him by listening in on their conversation. They don't monitor each and every one. Kinda like a checkpoint. Spot check here and there.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

IF this is nothing new it is a wonder that it is being reported as such by the mainstream media. Why the article then?

top topics

join