It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Are Not Headed for a Great Depression

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

The article was orginally published by the wall street journel. It was written by Gary Becker. Mr. Becker, the 1992 Nobel economics laureate, is professor of economics at the University of Chicago and senior fellow at the Hoover Institution. I would say this guy knows a thing or two about economics. I cant stand people who dont read the whole thread. It is only 5 pages. People like you just look for fox news to be mentioned in the post and immediatly disregard the article. If you read the full thread you would already know that the original source wasnt fox news. THis question has now been answered for the fourth time.

Mod Edit: Hold off on the personal attacks. Cheers

[edit on 12-10-2008 by alien]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by tide88
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

The article was orginally published by the wall street journel. It was written by Gary Becker. Mr. Becker, the 1992 Nobel economics laureate, is professor of economics at the University of Chicago and senior fellow at the Hoover Institution. I would say this guy knows a thing or two about economics. I cant stand people who dont read the whole thread. It is only 5 pages. People like you just look for fox news to be mentioned in the post and immediatly disregard the article. If you read the full thread you would already know that the original source wasnt fox news. THis question has now been answered for the fourth time. Some of you really arent that smart and it shows in your idiotic posts!

Greetings......It is sad to see that you are so condesending with those who have a viewpoint that difers from yours.....Having said that I fail to see why so many people hold acadamia in such high esteem....Just because some guy has multiple pieces of paper that attest to his brilience does not make him an authority on any thing other than studying and memorizing the text lessons and passing a test....The truth be told...there are no authorities on the scene and this eco situation we are in is unique and totaly un charted.....

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by theodorej

I respect peoples view point when it has merit. If they think we are heading for a great depression, I respect that. Heck, they may be right. However, the thing I do not respect is those people who immediatly dismiss something posted because it was posted by foxnews website. I also dont respect people who make comments without reading the whole thread. WHere if you did you would see it was actually from the WSJ. And yes, that someone we are talking about know mores about economics then anyone that is posting on this board. If they choose to not believe him, so be it, it is their right. Of course if I was to post an article about definite doom and gloom and it was linked to an article from fox news we wouldnt be having this conversation. It is only if fox news posts something they disagree with. If they agree with the article, it is fact. I could post an article from fox about a six headed alien baby that was spotted in tennessee and it would recieve hundreds of stars and flags and no one would question the source. They would say "It is from fox, a msm, it must be true." That is what I do not respect. Good Bye.

[edit on 11-10-2008 by tide88]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
There are too many ways to make money from the ordinary Joe
to the Illuminati (whichever branch).

Market stagnation sets in and the last time it went down I picked
up some that went back up.

I just happened to sell out of my hedge funds, which did do as well
as a bank and still does I assume, and Microsoft and Intel that I
picked up when they were down the last time.

TV interviewer went out to find local impact of credit crisis and
found a check cashing business. Not too much business lately,
he thinks people got layed off.

ED: Yeah, people are allowed to talk about aliens...
Tesla Free Energy UFOs no.

[edit on 10/11/2008 by TeslaandLyne]

[edit on 10/11/2008 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

Saying this bailout is necessary is akin to telling slaves that the plantation benefits them because it keeps them employed.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tide88

I don't know where you live, but here in the New Orleans area we have a third world economy with New York city prices on everything

so don't trust some economist to make you feel safer, you should worry about who's paying that guy to give everyone false statistics

read more than one source will ya

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Maybe reading the G-20 plan for us in this thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

will help open some eyes

When even they say that

the forum will evaluate the current risks and prospects of the global economy that impact on the domestic policies of the members. Recent volatility of the global market suggests that there are issues requiring coordination.

Then it's time to realize we ain't in Kansas anymore Toto

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by tide88

Greetings.....This forum is about discourse,Iam not seeking anybodies respect or distain for that matter....Fox news is one of many media providers I use to be fully informed....I read the article in WSJ in its entirety and Iam not impressed with any so called expert, whose only credentials offered in liu of hands on experience is pieces of paper attesting to their brilliance......

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by argilla11

About time someone noted this. I've read all the comments up the this one and no one noted that. It's whats the rothchilds/rockafellers do to collapse an economy so they can reap off the debt of the aftermath. The mass media coverage of the event is what is making the event, and this coverage is a fear tactic used to collapse a market. Once collapsed with the great debt and damages we will be forced to hand over further power to those at the top of the ownership(globally), just like when all the gold from the populous was drained during the depression or the collapse in europe that caused the world wars. You collapse, have panic, collapse more, crumple and do anything possible to regain stability, and thats where they get your signature on handing them ownership of you in trade for help. It's not about the world climate or a recession, its about deregulation and mass media fear to cause the populous to give the outcome the top of the food chain(economically) requires to reestablish it's stranglehold. We need to simplify the system and simply murder these top families using us all as pawns, there is maybe 10000 of them total, and I feel the world would proceed just fine without them breathing. You're a species on a rock, why do you continue to let such games of control and such imaginary figures of debt,wealth, and currency rule your lives? There needs to be a public upheaval or this will go on til the end of man kind. I know it sounds radical but its the truth. All the figures are just a number in some database controling your comfort level. You have the right as a populous to but the rules in their place, which truely, is under your control. Kinda like when the hyena realise they outnumber scar(first thing that came to mind) or the monstars in space jam that are far larger than their boss. You don't need to keep being someone elses slave, it will only take a days worth of worldwide will power to reconstruct the roles. This whole event and devauation is due to you playing the cards they are making you play, because it's a game of chess you dont know you're within or you could easily beat the inbred pompus moron forcing the moves. Leave your money in the system, polling it out will just collapse it all further. It's like buying at walmart, you might save a dollar here and there, but when your money loses worth from the 62% of the goods being purchased from china(if you get economics at all you understand money leave the pool is a loss for that pool) you're weakening your future dollar to inflate, which will cost you far far more over time then the dollar you saved initially. I believe much of the populous has lost the ability to notice once they punch a bag that it swings back. If you're not thinking a step ahead, you're thinking a step behind. Everyone needs to get up to pace or you're continue to be slaves and patsies.

Mind under matter,
Peace Brent

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
[
edit to add: One thing I admit this article doesnt talk about is the 11 trillion dollar debt the USA has that it didnt have back then.

So the government 'prints' 11 trillion. Anyone know how much the banks 'printed' that is now gone? Upon that one answer hinges the outcome of either inflation, or deflation. They both 'print' money that did not previously exist, and is not backed. One, the banks, has their printed money evaporate. The other, the government, steps in and THEY print the money. Net balance? Is it inflation, or deflation? Right now, cash is king.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Gregarious

The Banks created the Debt. The Debt is a fictional commodity. Thus the current 'deleveraging' that is making the Debt go away. IF countries do not let it go away then they monetize it by creating money from nothing and in turn make the Debt real. The real solution is to forgive Debt, since it doesn't really exist anyway.

Won't happen though, thanks to the Greed that wrought it in the first place. Governments always choose to monetize Debt. That's why no Fiat currency has ever passed the test of time. Look at all the monetization going from country to country at the moment. One bailout (monetization) after another. Global Hyperinflation will be the Consequence.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
CUE STANDARD MOD SPEECH

Hi People,

Yup - you all know the drill by now:

"Attack the post not the poster"

...please hold off on the personal attacks.

Cheers muchly.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I'm sorry, could I explain something? The high inflation we had during the 70s? Only a fraction of that was from the government printing money. Most of that was from the banks counterfeiting money, as much as they could loan out from their greedy little hands. You raise the interest rates, and the amount counterfeited goes down, due to lower demand for loans. You lower the rate, and more is counterfeited/loaned. Banks loan NONE of their money out. It was all previously kept in the vault, and they loaned out up to 9x what they had in the vault. A lawyerly way of complying with the 10% law, while still running a giant scam. The 'profits were about 1200% while paying deposit holders about 3%.
They counterfeited trillions. Now, due to the $700 billion scam, they no longer are restricted from how much they must 'vault', but can counterfeit anything they can loan out, to whoever, no matter what the credit risk, or value. I hope you are not a banker, you would definititely not want the public to understand your longstanding robberies. These gangsters/bankers can bribe politicians thru PACs, but they can't bribe the public, that I am aware of.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by tide88

We Are Not Headed for a Great Depression, we are repeating the Weimar Republic. Our solution to the "economic crisis" is to throw money at it. The problem is we are not borrowing the money. We are just printing more of it. This will lead to hyperinflation.

The government will deny the hyperinflation, but we will all pay higher prices for everything. Denying the hyperinflation will allow the government not increase social security payments, military pensions, etc. to keep up with real inflation.

I used to make fun of conspiracy theorists, but now I am paranoid that I am becoming one. I see this "economic crisis" as way for the government to get more control over our lives.

If we don't vote out everyone who voted for the "rescue package", then we deserve the government that we get!

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by CharlesMartel

100% correct. Same old story, different generation. They'll soon learn the Hard Way, 'Save your hard earned money (not paper) and don't trust loan sharks!'

Edit to add: It will be the Greatest Depression regardless of the mechanism used to get us there. Hyperinflationary Depression is every bit as ugly as Deflationary. A Quadrillion Dollars of Debt as per OTC Derivatives will destroy us. Sad thing is, it doesn't really exist. Until they try to print it, that is.

[edit on 13-10-2008 by HimWhoHathAnEar]

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   
ur joking right? you really thing this is going to get better? this is just the start. and now every country that has felt that the usa has been pushing there world agenda around. russia china japan ect. will now think , its now or never to attck. or just matbe they will wait for the earth quake next year in chicago ?

www.survivalprimer.com...

reply to post by tide88

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I just read a blog on a financial site, and the Fed is not printing more money, partly to defer the bad press the Fed Chairman was getting. It may happen, it may happen soon. But so far, no government printed inflation. During the Reagan Administration, he was operating on the 'trickle down' theory, and as a direct result, the national debt, a large debt, was paid off. So the Communist splurged on spending us back into debt. Then this Terrorist/Jihad stuff went down, and spending went up. The huge national debt was quickly rectified in the past, and it can be done again, with a drastic change in leadership. And there are none pending. Just a derivatives scam collapsing.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by micheshi

Greetings......Interesting point/argument............got me thinking

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by CharlesMartel

Greetings...........The weirmar republic....

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
I'm sorry...seriously....you really didnt cite FOX news as a basis for your opinion did you??

FOX news is far from "fair and balanced". Before anyone brings up MSNBC, CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, or anyone else... no they are not either. However FOX news is VERY clearly the front runner in propaganda. It is common knowledge and admitted by the former spokesman of the White House.

Are you serious? You cite the spokesman of the White House as a credible source? I have a bridge you might be interested in buying...

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join