It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnetic Reversals & Evolutionary Leaps

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Author Bob Felix and personal friend, was on C2C last night talking with George Noory about his new book. I've read it and find it very enlightening, putting forth a very cogent theory concerning how evolution has moved in fits and starts.
Interview with Robert Felix

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a big question i have about magnetic reversal is "what; if any, effects it would have on electronic equipment?"

no internet maybe? no cell service? no telivision?

haha, talk about being on your own

[edit on 9-10-2008 by drsmooth23]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Well that is a funny question. It is about like asking if your cell phone will still work as your drowning in the ocean!

With the flood of cosmic radiation anybody caught above ground will simply fall over dead. The other planet cleansing events will pretty much wipe out all organic life, or cause all kinds of mutations. It all depends on how the field changes at it swaps. You'll find some good images of that from a good google search.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
ok, let me rephrase. how do we know that this will cause the magnetosphere to dissipate? why not just a reversal, like the topic states? north becomes south. we have atmospheric gasses swirling around from the corialis(sp?) effect, and that effect is an earth constant. nothing besides earth falling from orbit can change it. you have all these ions in the gases that reflect cosmic rays. would all that just disappear?

lets imagine for a split second that electronics no longer work. if it has a chip, its is now void due to "magnetic reversal" think about the ammount of information about finances and national security that would be gone in a split second, essentially like the largest 'pinch' or EMP imaginable.

the way you put it there would be our death. then eons of mutation. and notthing we can do to save ourselves.

im trying to think how much we would have to change our lives without electronics, but without the massive deaths. more of a chance of survival the way im trying to look at it, but is all that just crazy talk?

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by GriffinRD
Well that is a funny question. It is about like asking if your cell phone will still work as your drowning in the ocean!

With the flood of cosmic radiation anybody caught above ground will simply fall over dead. The other planet cleansing events will pretty much wipe out all organic life, or cause all kinds of mutations. It all depends on how the field changes at it swaps. You'll find some good images of that from a good google search.

I tried listening to the interview but it was loading far too slow, one hour would have lasted three. I'm going to use your statement and assume that it holds the gist of his theory. If I've missed the mark, or if Felix has addressed my remarks, I apologize.

There is little doubt that magnetic reversals have happened in the past. They have occurred at very irregular intervals. So irregular that no pattern or cause can be discerned. The last reversal occurred more than 750,000 years ago.

The evidence, in the form of solidified lava flows, suggests that the reversals do not occur suddenly, but over a span of thousands of years.

Although fast by geological standards, reversals are by no means quick on the human time scale. They take roughly 5,000 years, with estimates ranging from 1,000 years and 8,000 years.
Source

While it is certain that the magnetosphere would be affected by the reversals, there is no reason to believe it would completed disappear. But the main problem with this theory is that, even if the magnetosphere did complete dissipate, it would not lead to a huge increase in surface radiation. It is our atmosphere which protects us from most cosmic and solar radiation, much more so than the magnetosphere.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

well, i am an arm chair pseudo scientist at best, but I agree 100%. however, if i am getting my numbers right, these reversals sometimes mesh up pretty well with extinction events. i believe there was one around 65 million years ago, which might have effected our dinosaur brethren.

there are other extinction epochs, but comparing time scales past the million year mark is a little complex for me.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

Here's an interesting one. Some researchers are finding temporal connections between extinction events, periods of impacting, and magnetic reversals. The impact events would be the cause of the extinctions as well as the cause of the reversals.

The researchers found that the reversal frequency increased sharply during three periods, each separated by 30-Myr intervals: at 8 to 12 Myr ago, 35 to 45 Myr ago and 65 to 75 Myr ago. They point out that the spurts coincide with globalscale catastrophic episodes signaled by mass extinctions, impact craters, geochemical anomalies and the production of small glass grains called tektites, which are thought to be created by impacts. Pal and Creer suggest that "the approximately periodic recurrences of catastrophic episodes caused reversal spurts during [times of frequent reversals].'
Source

Of course, since this is a real scientific paper, peer reviewed and all that, there are dissenting opinions.

However, according to Richard Muller at the University of California at Berkeley, "the model that they [Pal and Creer] describe fails miserably when you try to work it out in detail.'

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by GriffinRD
Author Bob Felix and personal friend, was on C2C last night talking with George Noory

The next time you see him you may want to inform him that only the ignorant go around asking, "If man evolved from apes why are there still apes?"

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
this is interesting i was speaking to my father the other day and we were discussing this same issue. He isnt big on wild theories but my constant persistance got him to start to look into 2012 and he began telling me he thinks there will be this magnetic shift. He went on to say that this shift could be "evolution" in that it effects whatever life is on earths molecular and biological structures in order to survive. i thought it was interesting and neat to see this thread pop up after such a conversation

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I found it interesting that the 'magnetic reversal' concincides with the end of our galactic year (as we crosss the galactic plane), even more interesting, is phage's information on the length of the 'magnetic reversal', lasts thousands of years, how long would it take to cross through the galactic plane? I'm sure someone mentioned a while ago it would take a few thousand years, although, I can't find an answer on the internet, what would you type in?! lol.

All in all, very interesting, I favour the 'plasma cosmology' and electric sun models to the standard model, so the link of evolution, to increased energy wasn't exactly hard to imagine.

Also thinking, maybe this would wipe everything electrical, altering the laws of magnetism and electricity as we know it? Start from scratch, a whole new beginning? New expressions of electricity allowing us to re-examine the things we thought we knew so well? Could lead to a paradigm shift of science, perception and understanding, technological evolution, mebé?

EMM

Edit to add: link don't work.

[edit on 11-10-2008 by ElectroMagnetic Multivers]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectroMagnetic Multivers

The Solar System does move through the galactic plane about every 40 million years. But, as I said, there is no pattern to past magnetic reversals.

[edit on 11-10-2008 by Phage]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

The Solar System does move through the galactic plane about every 40 million years. But, as I said, there is no pattern to past magnetic reversals.

40 million years? thought our 'galactic orbit' took around 225-250 my, we'd pass through the plane twice through an orbit? so around 110my I would've thought, could be wrong though, it is wiki, lol.

"Estimates of the length of one orbit range from 225 to 250 million "terrestrial" years."

en.wikipedia.org...

EMM

Edit to add: I agree though, I have seen no pattern, not to say there isn't one there, only that is doesn't seem to be soley reliant on our galactic orbit. Maybe other 'dense' areas of cosmic energy in space we pass through? who knows.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   

In addition to the orbital motion, there is a vertical oscillation. The vertical cycle occurs 2.7 times each orbit.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   

In addition to the orbital motion, there is a vertical oscillation. The vertical cycle occurs 2.7 times each orbit.

Not familiar with this, how would the vertical oscillation affect it's orbit?

Sorry for one liner.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

The Solar System describes three kinds of motion, each one at a specific speed and with a limited alternation:
1. The wider and fastest movement is the orbital motion of the Solar System around the nucleus of our galaxy. The speed of the Solar System orbital motion around the center of the galaxy is 217.215 Km/s. The Solar System completes one track around the galaxy each 226 million years.
2. The second movement, described in most of astronomy books, is the oscillation of the Solar System from north to south and vice versa with respect to the galactic plane. It is a swing upwards and downwards, determined mainly by the gravitational pull among the celestial bodies in the Solar System. The speed of this movement is of 7 Km/second.
3. The third movement is in route towards the center of the galaxy and the order reversed or moving away from the center of the galaxy. It is also a swinging movement, but influenced by the gravitational pull of outer and inner celestial bodies of the galaxy that are near to the Solar System. This motion has a speed of 20 Km/s, and it is drawing now toward Hercules constellation.

Seen altogether the three movements confer to the Solar System an apparent helical motion around the nucleus of the galaxy.

Source

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thank you very much, very informative, would this vertical oscillation be enough to 'dip' our solar system into the 'plane'? Is that what you where suggesting? Or where you just pointing out that it wasn't based on our orbit?

Thanks,

EMM

Edit to add: To show what I mean:

And edited:

A is our position 'above' the plane, as it spirals around and through the galactic plane to B.

Could explain the frequency of pole shifts?

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   

It's just one component of our overall motion though the galaxy.

The solar system does indeed periodically pass through the galactic plane but there is no evidence, nor reason to believe that this has anything to do with magnetic reversals.

There is some correlation with mass extinctions but what the connection might be is a topic of a lot of debate.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   

It's just one component of our overall motion though the galaxy.

The solar system does indeed periodically pass through the galactic plane but there is no evidence, nor reason to believe that this has anything to do with magnetic reversals.

There is some correlation with mass extinctions but what the connection might be is a topic of a lot of debate.

Well, I thank you for the info you've given me, I've never realised how often we do 'cross' the plane. Surely it can be measured how often we cross through the galactic plane? afterall, we at least have an estimate for how long it takes for 1 orbit, could it not be established, how long one of these dips would take? Giving, at least an indication, of how often tis could happen?

EMM

Edit to add: Just been thinking about your bold and, I think thats a bit unfair, afterall, this is the first time we have been around (first hand) to actually witness this event, not just studying volcanic rock, and it happens to coincide with a 'dip' into the galactic plane, the volcanic rocks couldn't have told us this aswell, so, how would we know?

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   

As I said, we cross the plane about every 40 million years. The trouble is there is no way to tell where the "exact" plane is or when we cross it.

The galaxy in our neighborhood is about 1,000 light years thick. To even pretend to know where the exact centerline is our when we are crossing is absurd.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   

As I said, we cross the plane about every 40 million years. The trouble is there is no way to tell where the "exact" plane is or when we cross it.

The galaxy in our neighborhood is about 1,000 light years thick. To even pretend to know where the exact centerline is our when we are crossing is absurd.

Once every 40 million years? I got the impression it was more than that from the diagram your link showed, then again, it is only a diagram.

I wasn't asking for the exact centre line, more of a guesstimation as to how often we drop through the plane by the figures shown, I tried, but maths was never a strong point, lol.

EMM

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join