It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sen. Stabenow [D-MI]"This is NOT an accident."

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
After emailing one of our Senators to thank her for voting "Nay" on the bail-out bill, I received this email in response:

Thank you . . .

. . for contacting me about the financial crisis package recently considered in Congress. I share your anger and frustration about this situation. Although I think we need to act to fix our American economy, I do not feel this bill is the right way to do it, and I voted against this package when it came before me in the Senate.

What is most outrageous to me is that this is not an accident. We are in this crisis because of a failed philosophy and a failed set of priorities that have rewarded greed. We have seen policies of massive deregulation and willful neglect of what is going on in these markets.

We know there is a crisis on Wall Street, but there's a much bigger crisis in Michigan and across America. Hard-working families, who play by the rules, are the ones in crisis every single day, and this bill does little for them. People are losing their health care, their pensions, their jobs, and their homes.

This legislation is fundamentally the wrong approach to fixing our economy. We need to start from the root of the problem and help families stay in their homes and keep their jobs.
Just last week, the Senate was unable to get bipartisan support for a jobs bill that would have helped families in Michigan who are suffering the worst in this economy. Our bill would have created desperately needed jobs in Michigan. That bill represented the right priorities!

Although I'm glad the final bill included some alternative energy tax provisions that I have championed in the Senate, the underlying legislation did not do enough to address the real problems of jobs, health care, energy independence, and home foreclosures.

In the coming months, I will continue fighting to stop the policies that got us to this crisis and hold the people accountable who failed to protect our country. Most importantly, I will continue to focus on creating new jobs in Michigan.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed about issues of concern to you and your family.

Sincerely,

Debbie Stabenow
United States Senator
[emphases, italics and link mine]

Far be it from me to advocate for any member of the US Congress. Like millions of Americans, more than even before, the distrust of our federal government is sinking like the Lusitania. [Not the Titanic...]

That said, I have to dole out some appreciation to the Junior Senator from Michigan for voting against this sham of a plan...even though it "included some alternative energy tax provisions" the Sen. Stabenow had lobbied for in the Senate. Unlike many of her more pork-hungry colleagues, she actually voted on what at least appears to be her conscience by rejecting this bill.

Unfortunately, as we all well know, the stock markets continue their crash. All according to plan...even this US Senator said

"This is not an accident."

[edit on 10.9.2008 by ItsTheQuestion]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Very interesting and truthful letter,

It amazes me that the bail out was sold to us as the only alternative to stop the financial crisis, I still can not digest the moron president we have when he dare to come live to tell that this bail out is to benefit the tax payer and the homeowners facing foreclosures, he even said that millions of Americans are able to stay in their homes.

That is a lie and he dares to tell the lie like we Americans are dumb and stupid.

People are been evicted from their homes everyday in every county and the houses are allowed to sit empty and been ransack by vandals.

While our tax payer money is used so some fat pig CEOs can go and releases their stress in expensive resorts in California.

I say let every America that is evicted go and make camp in Washington in front of the White house and in the manicured lawns of the fat pigs that got our nation in this mess.

[edit on 9-10-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
STar and Flag for you for writing to your rep. My question is after watching lehman, AIG acknowledge that they gave huge bonus, vacations, Millions of dollars to top CEO's. Why are they not in trouble the CEO's why is it being over looked and they are not being tried in some court somewhere. A president cant even get a BJ, and get impeached. And all this is going on and no one is going to jail because of it. You have got to be kidding me

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Marg, I've been admiring your posts for some time. Thanks for chiming in on this thread.

I find it down-right amazing that a sitting US Senator would say in this obvious form letter, doubtless sent to hundreds, if not thousands, that this "financial crisis" is "NOT AN ACCIDENT"!!!!

You mention Pres. Bush lying to us like we are stupid. The great irony here is that, while you and I and millions of Americans on and off ATS see past these lies, the fact is that the unfortunate majority are ignorant.

Ignorant of how planned this whole fiasco seems to be. Ignorant of how things like War...on Terror/Poverty/Drugs/etc. are purposely meant to inflate pocketbooks while decreasing population. Ignorant of the onslaught of propaganda we're fed through the media, hollywood, sports, etc.

Ignorant of just how murderous this world really is.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by isa75

Surprisingly, Sen. Stabenow isn't even up for re-election this fall. And she still bucked the party line! Even voting opposite her senior colleague from Michigan, the powerful Sen. Carl Levin [D-MI].

You mention the un-fairness of all of this. Corporate Banker fat-cats fly off to vacation on some Isle of Eden, while our pensions, our 401K's, our SAVINGS sink in value.

Jail? The only one's who'll end up in jail because of this quite successful [for them] strategy: all the new criminals, brought into and up in an increasingly toxic, hateful, divided world. I grew up in one of the most dangerous dinosaurs of a big city in America. When there are no jobs, no capital, no money, no food...people do whatever they think they have to do.

People are capable of doing anything at any time, if the situation calls for it. And this will become more painful and more obvious in the near-future.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Considering the rest of today... Dow down 5000+ in one year.

"This is not an accident."

A "trainwreck," as they say. Planned!

No kidding.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Thanks, I am very impress when some of our politicians have the guts to tell the truth and are not afraid of repercussions.

Too bad that is not many of them left as most of our politicians are nothing but corrupted piece of corporates s^^^^t.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsTheQuestion

I received the exact same email from stabenow. It was nice to get the reply albeit many probably got the same thing. When here election comes up....she will receive my vote.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   

So many of them seem owned by monied interests. I was cautiously surprised that this legislator voted against the bloated bond, which posted anyway.

Of course.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Yes, it was a refreshing change from what I expected. As far as her reelection, which she'll be up for in 2012, statement such as the one highlighted above will not be forgotten. By either side.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsTheQuestion

Don't you think it is a bit of a stretch to say that "the stock market is crashing according to plan" merely because the senator says "it was no accident"?....

Isn't is easier to consider the possibility that the crash is an unintended result of deliberate greedy mistakes by irresponsible bankers, rather than a "deliberate plan"?

I'm just sayin'

-rrr

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickyrrr
[Isn't is easier to consider the possibility that the crash is an unintended result of deliberate greedy mistakes by irresponsible bankers, rather than a "deliberate plan"?

I'm just sayin'

-rrr

Is there really such a big difference? Greedy "mistakes" is a poor choice of words when they all knew years ago that this was gonna blow and they let it happen anyway. Unintended result -perhaps, irresponsible bankers - no doubt, a deliberate plan whether by ommission or commission is the same in my book.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by rickyrrr

If I thought it were a "stretch," ricky, I wouldn't have said it. I say what I mean and mean what I say.

Is it "easier to consider the possibility that the crash is an unintended result of deliberate greedy mistakes [???] by irresponsible bankers..." [emphases mine]

Yeah, I suppose it would be "easier," in the sense that I could just blindly believe that these bankers you mention are foolish and capricious enough to make such "unintended" mistakes, even though, as you claim, their "greed" was "deliberate".

Methinks your logic is fuzzy, to be kind.

When the Senator told thousands of email recipients like me that "it was no accident", well, then perhaps such a strong statement by an elected official merits a bit of investigation and speculation.

What could she have meant instead? What, ricky, is your definition of the opposite of an "accident"?

That all said, I hope you're right. I hope that the bankers who are truly running schtuff are merely mistake-prone, naively hoarding all they can gain, to the detriment of EVERYBODY else. And that, surely, they cannot be smart or corrupt enough to have hijacked our economy. To say nothing of the idea that "if they can, they will", as in infest and destroy your pocketbook and mine, from the inside-out.

Don't you think it is a bit of a stretch to be lapping up the warm milk that Wall Street, the Fed and the Treasury are pouring in your bowl, without at least checking the date on the carton?

Forgive me if I've offended you. Perhaps I extrapolated your views in error. Believe me -- it's nothing personal.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
still can't login (cpdaman) but i hope this post sees the light of day soon because i think it is very IMPORTANT

i will say

this is certainly NOT an accident that the Credit markets are frozen

I mean the PTB may have liked the asset/credit bubble to continue for ever but they new there policy's were not sustainable so they KNEW it was a matter of time

the dow falling is not planned, it didn't have to be

the smart money got out of stocks and into bonds last year

they hope the stock market FALLS so they can buy up the centralized company's on the cheap soon (and make more money).

I have been searching financial boards like an obsessed lunatic the last few days, because so much is going on, and my biggest concern (currently lol) is the inability for for shippers of food to get credit to send there loads out. The demand is there, the supply is there, but the credit is not.

The credit specifically related to shipping food is called LOC'S (letters of credit) and there are signs this marke is FREEZING UP!

Kissinger said appox. with oil you can control country's with food you can control people, the food shortage will be tremendous leverage in getting people to accept the Fascist NWO (one world gov't) , because without this leverage the anger directed at govt's and bankers would not put them in the strongest position to implement a solution that more people are realizing is not the best option for mainstreet.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
one more post as "anonymous" (cpdaman)

I must add this it is IMPERATIVE that the MSM cheerleaders dodge the question of putting blame on wall street ("we can leave that for another day" B.S) because labeling this as an accident is KEY to ensuring those who messed up in the first place are given the authority and (trust by the remaining sheeple) to put in a solution that benefits them the most

Again watch for the food shortages coming up and google the latest on the LOC'S lines of credit for food shippers and this market potentially freezing up!

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Correction, I was thinking Granholm.

Despite the ups and downs, she has done a decent job of assisting Michigan. I didn't agree with evey decision she made, but no one ever does. Through it all though she stayed at Michigans side, and that says alot to me.

She is right, this economic crisis was no accident, and could have been completely prevented. But what happened, it was allowed to occur, and in my opinion, allowed like Pearl Harbor, 9/11 and like another future crisis.

They allow such to occur because of an ulterior motive shared by the worlds rich. Why, so they can get richer, and the poor get poorer.

[edit for correction at top of page]

[edit on 11-10-2008 by ADVISOR]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

Granholm is a disgrace to public office. She has done nothing in my eyes to help the people of this state other than tax them. Why she is still the governor is beyond me. I especially love the Driver Responsibility Fees. It's a freakin joke and she needs to be taken out of office.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Well collectively we have been paying the mortgage on the Whitehouse for well over 30 years, so that is bought and paid for now time to move on in.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Re: "Driver Responsibility Fees"

It is a cold, hard fact that in MI, one can be pulled over and, if he/she doesn't have a copy of their proof of insurance, they are fined a $200 D.R.F., paid once per year for two years...even if the driver in question HAS auto insurance. I.e., if you take proof of insurance to the judge...too bad!

It's a racket. Much like the booming MDOC population. More revenue for the state, which will obviously take it any way she can get it.

Back to the topic-at-hand, my take on Sen. Stabenow's statement is that she knows how deep the proverbial rabbit hole goes. And perhaps she understands [a woman's intuition?] just how distastefully un-American [at least, according to our grandparents' definition] this whole crash/bail-out scenario really is.

The Hegelian Dialectic at work [or is it play?] here allows for Big [Scary
] Government to save the day. Hence, it's been re-branded as a "Rescue" Plan.

The irony is that their "solving" a problem of their creation!

Poor, poor us.

And the timing couldn't be better for the man chosen to lead us into the 2012 election cycle -- Sen. Obama. Who, like his rival, was quickly behind this bail-out.

Watch the Zeitgeist Addendum, while you're at it.

[edit on 10.12.2008 by ItsTheQuestion]

top topics

join