It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skywatching Apps?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I was hoping you more experienced sky watchers could tell me what applications you use to do certain things skyward. ie. Track the space station. Or any tips and tricks w/ Google Earth. Also any websites would be appreciated. Hope this isn't in the wrong forum. It is for tracking objects I can't identify.

Thanks

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I can't remember the one my cousin used to use but it was pretty much like a google earth for satellites, and it would show you their current path realtime and you could even stay up and watch them pass overhead.

Although for stars and planets, stellarium is a must have, and it's free.
www.stellarium.org...

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by susp3kt

I also strongly recommend downloading Stellarium. Once you get it set up correctly it works great for tracking stars/planets. If you have any questions about Stellarium I would be happy to help.

spaceweather.com has a simple satellite tracker that I like. You just enter in your zip code and it will tell you if/when satellites will be visible.

Heavens-above.com also has a more detailed satellite tracker.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
The most comprehensive and accurate satellite tracking system employs the two line orbital elements of around 10,000 objects published daily by NORAD through the Space Track website. You have to register and be given a password. An alternative is CelesTrack.com

These data are fed to a tracking program which enables you to predict sightings from your location over several days. There are many such softwares, but the one I use is simply called Satellite Tracker. This can be downloaded free from the Satellite Tracker Forum at Yahoo. It also downloads the orbital data automatically, so you don't have to understand all the details.

Like many of these trackers, it's designed to drive a GoTo telescope, but you don't have to use it that way. It will allow anyone to predict all the objects that pass over their local skies. Websites like Heavens-Above use the same data for their daily updates.

WG3

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
You might want to download WinStars 2.0 somewhere... it's easy to find, not very large file, good quality and easy interface.
You can track all planets, stars, constellations,meteors, comets etc. plus a bunch of sats and the ISS... It has both Planetarium and Solar System mode...

If I'm not mistaken it's also free...

Let me know if that helps...

Peace

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Big thanks for all the help! I'll give them all a try.

top topics

join