It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear power / mid east data - interesting article

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
www.memri.org...

at the very bottom - re Iraq selling uranium to Canada - interesting too

Btw - this is a good time to mine for big stories being thrown out "with the garbage"

[edit on 10/9/2008 by trusername]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Thanks for the thread. It actually brings up a thought I've had for some time.

I have been following the story about how Iran is so hot to develop nuclear technology (for peaceful purposes, of course) and how they will use it to generate electricity.

Why would a country that is sitting on veritable lakes of oil care about alternative energy systems?

I read through your link but was baffled by the water resources paragraph.

The potential for water conflict in the Middle East is real. Nuclear power might provide a cost-effective way of meeting growing public demand for water and, ironically, could reduce the potential for conflict.

The article states in the previous paragraph ;

About 60 percent of the region's water is trans-boundary water, i.e., water which flows across international borders, leaving a number of countries, including Egypt, Iraq, and Syria to be affected by decisions made by upstream riparian countries.

Maybe they could use the extra power to run desalinization plants. Oh, and nuclear power plants require HUGE amounts of water to cool the system and create steam to power the generators.

Dunno.. So, anywho, I just thought I'd throw in my alternative energy comment.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by zlots331
Maybe they could use the extra power to run desalinization plants.

Strangely, you can create a nuclear powered desalination plant without the intermediate step of generating electricity. Not sure how it works -- I imagine you superheat the water, and condense the steam. It is being done in India, China, France, and probably other places.

Here is a link.

www.iaea.org...

Google "nuclear power desalination" for a whole list of links on this subject.

[edit on 9-10-2008 by Buck Division]

join