It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zimbabwe Inflation Hits 231,000,000%!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Zimbabwe's annual inflation rate - already the world's highest - has soared to 231,000,000%, newly released official figures for July show. The rise - from 11,200,000% last month - was largely due to increases in the prices of bread and cereals. A landmark power-sharing deal between President Robert Mugabe and opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai has failed to ease the country's economic crisis. Meanwhile, the UN says it needs $140m for food aid over the next six months. The UN World Food Programme estimates that two million people are in need of food aid, and that the figure will rise to 5.1 million - or 45% of the population - by early 2009. "Millions of Zimbabweans have already run out of food or are surviving on just one meal a day - and the crisis is going to get much worse in the coming months," said WFP official Mustapha Darboe. The inflation figures are from July - before the power-sharing deal - but reports from Zimbabwe suggest that the prices of many goods has continued to shoot up, while the value of the Zimbabwe dollar is plummeting.

This is really sad ... half of the population is going to be starving in 2009 if the conditions don't improve? Wow something really needs to get done ... i know some people may say that each individual country should only focus on their own personal issues ... but this is inhumane to let this happen ... heck if anything the u.n. should loan them a couple billion and let zimbabwe pay it back it time .... just a thought ... this is just bad .... i'm sure that if things don't improve that the world may be heading in the same direction

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

A sobering thread.

Maybe if we experience the same we'll one day feel real anger about African states plundering foreign aid to spend it on arms or to syphon it off into Swiss bank accounts. I certainly wish this on no-one, I hasten to add. It's just an observation that the figures quoted are so astronomical as to appear meaningless, and the people of Africa are so far removed from our daily lives as to effectively be living on another planet - in our psyche, that is.

Tragic.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
The problem with Zimbabwe is sickening to me.

This is what happens as people like Mugabe are allowed to control this country. More powerful nations love dictators because the dictators allow there land to raped for it's resources while looking the other way as they are paid off with "foreign aid" and they build palaces for themselves and live the good life.

All you have to do is look at the economy of Zimbabwe and it's easy to understand why they are hurting.

The dictator Mugabe is just concerned with power while the resources of the land are raped and taken by other countries. Nothing will be done about Zimbabwe because people from other countries get rich and live good off of their resources.

en.wikipedia.org...

Just look at their main industries:

mining (coal, gold, platinum, copper, nickel, tin, clay, numerous metallic and nonmetallic ores), steel; wood products, cement, chemicals, fertilizer, clothing and footwear, foodstuffs, beverages

The country should be rich and the people should live good but the people are not seeing a dime from the resources of the land but other people are.

Look at the economic aid:

Economic aid recipient: $178 million; note - the EU and the US provide food aid on humanitarian grounds (2000 est.)

Mugabe and his henchmen are living good while the people starve and their land is raped of it's resources.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
OP, I hate to disagree with part of your original post, but I dont think 2009 is an accurate figure. I think they may not make it to the end of 2008.

One of the reasons that I do not donate to the food drive charities is because of the fact that governments that run these third world countries. The money and food contributions get strong-arm filtered at the door and barely any of it gets to the people it is intended to benefit.

The millions that they want are just supplements to help aid their agendas against the people and building their armaments. If there was ever a dictator that needed ousting, its in Africa.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Enough with the "Loaning" of money and "Loaning" of assets.
These people can't even feed their children.
Give them food already! No one should be left out to starve to death, this pisses me off more than anything.
Kids, 18 months old, starving to death cause one person wants his cuban cigars and fur coats...

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Snift

Snift, we do give them food and other aid, it is the governments and warlords in countries like Zimbabwe and Somalia that take the food and medical supplies long before the people get to them because of the corrupt political systems. Wat needs to be done is to have the people rise up against them and take back their country, but they are too week to fight against a dictatorship with all the guns and ammo and the backing of the major super powers. It is well known that countries like the USA and Russia will back dictatorships when it benifits them and they make out on the deal. Weather it is for oil, coal, metals or other projects that companies like Halliburton can profit from, these dictators will remain in power.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I wiil go on record and make a prediction right now.

In about six months time, because of Mr. Mugabe's lifelong struggle to free his people's land and resources from a handful of greedy dragons, Zimbabe is going to be one of the few Nations in the world, where her people are going to be not only well-fed, but prospering.

The Zimbabweans has been fighting for 30 years what the rest of world has yet began to experience--the all out effort of the greedy to keep them in poverty and economic helplessness.

And I will guarentee you, people everywhere will be crying for a leader like Mugabe to rise up and lead them through the days to come.

Mr. Mugabe is 84 years old. The last of his kind. There will be no more.

But I predict the people of Zimbabwe are going to blessed among all Nations, that they had him. And that they stuck by him through years of sanctions and propaganda, overt and covert operations to destroy him and to keep him from making his people self sufficient by introducing to them back their lands, dignity and sense of empowerment.

[edit on 10-10-2008 by tdogg1]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
"Just look at their main industries:

mining (coal, gold, platinum, copper, nickel, tin, clay, numerous metallic and nonmetallic ores), steel; wood products, cement, chemicals, fertilizer, clothing and footwear, foodstuffs, beverages

The country should be rich and the people should live good but the people are not seeing a dime from the resources of the land but other people are.

Look at the economic aid:

Economic aid recipient: $178 million; note - the EU and the US provide food aid on humanitarian grounds (2000 est.)

Mugabe and his henchmen are living good while the people starve and their land is raped of it's resources. "

Yup...

Aint goverment swell...
African politics at thier finest...

But hyperinflation isnt something that is only in Africa.
Look at the Weimer Republic,over night thier currency went to nothing...

Is somethign similar about to hit the US?

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Update Zimbabwe

For the time being Mugabe remains a fly in the ointment , but basically a very encouraging outlook from Alf Field.

Zimbabwe: A Fresh Start
By Alf Field
Nov 11 2009 9:30AM

In February 2009 Zimbabwe was the only country in the world without debt. Nobody owed anyone anything. Following the abandonment of the Zimbabwe Dollar as the local currency all local debt was wiped out and the country started with a clean slate.

It is now a country without a functioning Central Bank and without a local currency that can be produced at will at the behest of politicians. Since February 2009 there has been no lender of last resort in Zimbabwe, causing banks to be ultra cautious in their lending policies. The US Dollar is the de facto currency in use although the Euro, GB Pound and South African Rand are accepted in local transactions.

Price controls and foreign exchange regulations have been abandoned. Zimbabwe literally joined the real world at the stroke of a pen. Money now flows in and out of the country without restriction. Super market shelves, bare in January, are now bursting with products.

I recently visited Zimbabwe in the company of a leading Australian fund manager. As a student of monetary history, I was interested to see what had happened to a country that had suffered hyperinflation. How did the people cope? How is the country progressing now? The current Zimbabwean situation is complicated by the fact that President Robert Mugabe is determined to stay in power whatever the cost.

The first part of this article deals with economics, the hyperinflation and current situation, which is a picture of recovery and potential vigorous growth. The second part deals with politics, both the historical aspects as well as current developments, which are extremely fluid.

We were fortunate to have private interviews with the Prime Minister, Morgan Tsvangirai, and a wide range of business leaders. This provided a quick picture of Zimbabwe past and present.

Full Text

Sidebar: If you aren't familiar with the author , Jim Sinclair often states: Gold is going to $1224, $1278, $1650 and then on to Alf’s numbers. If you aren't familiar with Alf's numbers , you can view them near the bottom of this missive.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

1. The UN has showed how corrupt it's "programs" are

2. If the people get hungry enough, they most likely WILL do something about it.

3. The US should not have to intervene in countries just because it's "sad" .. the last thing we need is another unbeatable war.

Maybe Zimbabweans should do something for themselves. If their monetary system isn't working, perhaps they should find a new way of dealing with things. I hear some are using only Gold in transactions.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

It's very difficult for the Zimbabweans to do anything because half the population is on food aide (~5 million) and thousands dying from cholera.

The only shining light in that country is Morgan Tsvangirai, who must be commended for his tenacity and dedication to his people despite being beaten and arrested numerous times. Couple that with many of his close friends and family dying around him.

Mugabe needs to be removed from power, but that won't happen when the African union get caught up in his propaganda, deceit and lies.

The situation in Zimbabwe is what makes me so angry at those who claim their governments (USA) are out to get them...How deluded to you have to get?

[edit on 13/11/09 by Chadwickus]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

It's very difficult for the Zimbabweans to do anything because half the population is on food aide (~5 million) and thousands dying from cholera.

Then they either need to learn community farming, or else perhaps there are to many Humans living in an area that cannot sustain that population. Mother Nature runs her course?

Mugabe needs to be removed from power, but that won't happen when the African union get caught up in his propaganda, deceit and lies.

I would love to see the African Union do something.

Not the UN (aka America)

Besides, what's going on in the DRoCongo is much, much, much worse. Money is the last thing on many of those poor souls' minds.

The situation in Zimbabwe is what makes me so angry at those who claim their governments (USA) are out to get them...How deluded to you have to get?

I agree.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
the African Union will do nothing to help them, the UN will do nothing to help them. They, along with all the other countries of the world, need to say NO to the UN, the USA/NWO, international bankers IMF / World Bank, Economic Hit Men and start governing themselves, throw out the off shore bankers who are abusing them and create a real economy, a real political structure. More people from better off nations need to help spread awareness in Africa of the foreigners techniques to enslave and depopulate Africa.

Africa is the biggest failure of mankind PERIOD. What a sad, sad shame. It hurts to see their suffering at the hands of our governments, corporations, and religions.

Remember, the goal of the World Regime is to have every country be like Africa. That is what we have to fight against. If Africa can not rise, none of us can rise.

[edit on 13-11-2009 by ats__fan039]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Zimbabwe was once known as the bread basket of Africa. They had a very productive farming system that exported all sorts of produce through out the continent and kept their people well fed.

The government then decided that the white farmers owned too much land so they implemented land reform, confiscation of land from productive white farmers and giving it to black with no experience on how to run a farm. The results have been disasterous.

Since the implementation of the most recent land reforms, only 300 of 4,500 commercial farmers remain on farms. The eviction of the mostly white farmers has been partly blamed by critics and aid agencies for Zimbabwe's worst famine in living memory, which left about two-thirds of the 11.6 million people facing severe food shortage.

Post-2000 land reform have been disastrous for the economy of Zimbabwe. Prior to land redistribution, land-owning farmers, mostly white, had large tracts of land and utilized economies of scale to raise capital, borrow money when necessary, and purchase modern mechanised farm equipment to increase productivity on their land. As the primary beneficiaries of the land reform were members of the Government and their families, despite the fact that most had no experience in running a farm, the drop in total farm output has been tremendous and produced widespread claims by aid agencies of starvation and famine. However, Mugabe's expulsion of the international media has prevented full analysis of the scale of the famine and the resultant deaths. What is not in dispute is that a country once so rich in agricultural produce that it was dubbed the "bread basket" of Southern Africa, is now struggling to feed its own population. A staggering 45 percent of the population is considered malnourished. Foreign tourism has also plummeted, resulting in tens of millions of dollars a year in lost revenue.

en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

join