It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If it isn't Doom and Gloom or Martial law....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
It may just be me, but it seems that if a thread isn't predicting doom and gloom, politics, martial law, or a hoax it doesn't get attention. Has anyone else noticed this? Can anyone explain why this is?

Now I know that right now with the American politics and finical crisis going on people are putting there focus towards those two topics, but there is more going on in the world then just these subjects. So whats with all the repeat "I'm afraid of the troops" and "omg we're all broke" threads? Has ATS come to the point that the members don't care about anything else in the world other then these few topics?

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
well right now those 2 topics are on everyones mind. if the economy wasnt so #ed up ats would go back to the good ole area 51 and new world order threads.

its not us its the world around us

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
S&F...Everything's bad right now and people are too scared to use thier minds. I made a post in a similar fashion here...

I just hope this either all passes over soon or something is done. I would be happy with either choice.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
thats why i use the recent posts tab to navigate. at any given point you can look to your right and see the "hot topics" half of which are regurgitations of things written a thousand times before, and the other half are carbon copies of the topics above or below them. ATS is growing exponentially, and us noobs are ruining the site by not searching the "archives"

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by drsmooth23
thats why i use the recent posts tab to navigate. at any given point you can look to your right and see the "hot topics" half of which are regurgitations of things written a thousand times before, and the other half are carbon copies of the topics above or below them. ATS is growing exponentially, and us noobs are ruining the site by not searching the "archives"

Totally agree with this post.

Just to add one thought of my own and I believe this is shared with some other people:

We are watching what is quite possibly the most pivotal point in the history of the planet. People who have spent significant time researching why the planet is the way it is, and the true history that has been purposely hidden from the public, are seeing the potentiality of many theories coming true.

These are not like the typical days of discussing flouridated water and the such. In comparison to the potential crumbling of the world's economy at any given moment, many can't shed their light and attention to what currently seem to be virtually meaningless topics.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

The problem is I did do a search, but nothing hit the specific points I tried to touch upon...I would have posted here if it were not for the fact I was typing it out at the time this was posted. Perhaps next time I shall type in word then search for relivant posts...

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I think a lot of it lies in our unconscious thoughts. A lot of people are not only waiting for something to happen, but wanting something bad or good to happen. Whats going on in the world right now is the culmination point for a lot of people. Think of the world right now as a giant pressure cooker just waiting to explode.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
This economic situation is a really, really big deal depending on how long it lasts. If it were just the USA and not the entire globe then I would be more worried since I live in the USA.

Anyway, I don't think people realize how much our lives are going to change if this economic problem continues for any length of time.

Our entire way of doing things, the way we live and think it in the edge of being turned completely upside down.

Buying, selling, services, etc.

Ever been to Tijuana, Mexico City, or a Central American Country?

That is pretty much the same as cities in the USA/the USA will become.

Everything is of lower priority right now.

Prepare for a depression without the morals of 1929.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I agree with all the things you guys have said so far. I don't mean to take away from the situation at hand. I guess I am just tired of threads that spread the fear. I see so many people just repeating how afraid they are and "what should we do". I get the feeling that no one wants to take responsibility for anything and want someone to step in with a magic wand and go "puff, its all better know."

Sadly, it wont be that easy.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
...Damn, who told you about my magic wand...

I have a very bad problem with things that are going on, so I have been running some numbers in my head, but I won't bore anyone to death with redundant information that will just get lost in the mix. The only thing I can really say is that the mass of thinking here on these boards has been limited to about 0.0267% success rate at actually being beneficial to the situation.

I actually took almost the whole day off of ATS/BTS, and am disappointed with the number of responses between your thread and mine. While I agree that the $h@! is getting deep with not just the US, but the world, I do have to say with everyones concerns that no one has come up with the most logically sound idea that would eliminate the fear everyone seems to be going through...just ignore everything!

If it helps people, write everything down on paper, lay it out on the table, and just look at it. Notice how many problems you see with everything? Now, take the paper and burn it...that is exactly the position everyone should take who believes that approximately 500,000 armed Americans would stand a chance against just a meer 20,000 trained-to-kill soldiers. And yes, that 500,000 is the high estimated number of your fellow Americans that would actually stand to fight out of 301+ million Americans in this country.

Ever ask someone in the military how many kills they have? Ever wonder why they would rather not talk about it?

But okay...the world is in financial ruins...the military is supposedly awaiting for the command to institute Martial Law upon the masses...people might be in fear, but we have guns. This is about the most redundant way to look at things. So what if the government that people claim the public has no control over is instituting laws to govern the people into oblivion. Ever heard the saying that sometimes it is just better to turn the other cheek? Now I am not talking about just giving into anything...that'd be stupid. What I am talking about is simply ignoring the fact that anyone is above you. Go about your day, do your work, pay your bills, and don't ask them for nothing, yet expect nothing in return. I can almost guarentee that you will be able to get more people aboard with this plan, than one that simply says "let's just fight back".

With my calculations, a peaceful stand would be far more easier to get the wheels turning more than simply fighting back. Now most of you probably have it in your head that a peaceful stand means gathering in some remote spot and picketing...not the case. Think of it as a rebelious teenager who doesn't want to do...let's say the dishes. He/she will not do them regardless of the consequences because thier give-a-damn has been muted by thier ego. Now think of this but on a much, MUCH larger scale. Let's say we turn the 500,000 fighting minds into a unified theory of getting things done where no one will get hurt, and everyone can go home at night and see thier family after work. Add about 1,000,000 to that number just by people positively sharing research to give to people that don't have a clue...that almost half of the US population by itself!

With that in mind, the most effective thing people would be able to do is what?...not pay taxes. Think about it...if half the US population just decided to quit paying for the Lexus or BMW that thier government officials get to drive on a daily basis, something will get done.

But that is just a small effect that could bring out a positive change. There are numerous other things the "masses" could peacefully do that would incite a change in the governments thinking, but I will leave it up to you to make the choice of a peaceful stand, or a fight-to-the-death with guys that have been trained.

-but then again, this is just another wild imagination at work, by a redneck, in the back woods of Tennessee...take it as you will.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
These "powers that be" are also not obscenely stupid. In fact, if everything people here say is going is all a part of some plan of theirs, they are extremely efficient at getting where they want to go.

Which brings us to this point: If you think Martial Law or some sort of World Government is going to be put into effect at gunpoint, where you might be able to contend with them, you're in for a shock.

There are weapons and techniques for taking control of a society far more effective than forcing one at-range, and they've developed them well over the last few decades. Fear works to keep a population in line for only so-long. To really keep control of a group sustainably, you need to give them the illusion of freedom and security (which are opposites on the same line, as it happens). It's worked quite well up to this point, the rich are truly getting richer. There's very little reason to go beyond what they're already doing, which is economic hegemony. This isn't going to be a battle fought on a field, people are not going to be so fortunate this time as to have an identifiable foe they can potentially match thrust-for-parry.

Giving yourself a name or a border makes you an easier target. Keeping it something innocuous such as "the economy" makes it a whole different enemy. Frankly, I think this financial crisis is the final blow in the "war" to solidify global economics, not the beginning.

[edit on 11-10-2008 by SimpleAnswers]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SimpleAnswers

Holy crap. Starred post. Couldn't be more spot on. I wish I had more to add to this. I don't. This is truth coming from the pores of humanity and it needs recognition as a beacon of light, honesty, and truth,

Well done SA, I hope you continue brilliant insight such as your post in this thread.

Peace

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
What's up with the "reply to" button....
Sorry for the absence. I tend to stay off the internet on the weekends.

to Taledus,

Excellent post and thoughts. I really cant see this generation or the next doing anything to stop any of these crisis. I think it will take generations of extreme servitude to instill the right mentality in people to stand up again.

As to the what will the trained members do...

I have been trained and tested in combat. I do not own a gun and will not pick one up unless it is to defend my family. I know what I can do with a weapon and what happens to me when the fight or flight mode kicks in. I try not to go back to those times. Personally I will seek a peaceful solution.

top topics

join