It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeland Security's Space-Based Spying Goes Live

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Homeland Security's Space-Based Spying Goes Live

www.inteldaily.com

(The Intelligence Daily) -- While America's attention has shifted to the economic meltdown and the presidential race between corporate favorites John McCain and Barack Obama, The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday that the Department of Homeland Security's (DHS) National Applications Office (NAO) "will proceed with the first phase of a controversial satellite-surveillance program, even though an independent review found the department hasn't yet ensured the program will comply with privacy laws."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
OK this one is difficult to place....,

It has political elements,
It has conspiracy elements
It has all the hallmarks of the ever-increasing assault on privacy by the DHS

I hope someone addresses this in Congress because they were NOT supposed to implement this on their own authority....

What am I saying? They can do whatever they want... and quickly, before anyone can react to it.

www.inteldaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

A new 60-page Government Accountability Office report said the department "lacks assurance that NAO operations will comply with applicable laws and privacy and civil liberties standards," according to a person familiar with the document. The report, which is unclassified but considered sensitive, hasn't been publicly released, but was described and quoted by several people who have read it.

[edit on 9-10-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Something confuses me on this subject. Spy satellites are normally placed into a LEO ( low earth orbit ) in order to maximize resolution. The birds have to fly with at least 8 - 8.5km/s if I remember correctly. This means that compare to the orbital speed of earth they can watch a single point on the surface for about a minute or so.

They can't be made to stop on one spot so, they have to go round and round with the whole rest of the birds we have up there. So why are these considered homeland security satellites if they in fact are just spy satellites?

All this is based on my assumption that these are deployed in LEO, some 200km above surface. Now a geosynchronous orbit would be much more preferred for "Domestic spying", but that orbit requires a distance of something close to 1/10 of the distance to the moon, seriously handicapping resolution and tracking quality.

Have a nice day.

[edit on 9-10-2008 by Manawydan]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
This thread really has potential.

I wonder why it has not been noticed by more members.

I am going to do some googling and see if there is anything I can add to the discussion.

Great find!

new topics

top topics

join