It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama & McCain - How to debate...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Due to being the subject of what I believe is suppression by what I can only call the ATS thought police, I pose this question on the topic of debate itself.

When one side uses terms to insult and degrade your candidate for the office of the president of the United States, whether it's Obama, McCain, or Ron Paul. Is it legitimate to be able to engage them in kind?

What should be rules of engagement when supporting your candidate?

How can we prevent being censored by the ATS thought police if someone who cannot handle debate is offended and gets their feelings hurt?

Let me know what you think?

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   

How can we prevent being censored by the ATS thought police if someone who cannot handle debate is offended and gets their feelings hurt?

Could you please give an example? I'm not sure I'm understanding what you are attmepting to discuss.

Thanks.

Jemison

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I suggest that you click the link in my signature to visit the Debate Forum.

Once there, read through some of the debates. There are even a couple Obama/McCain debates you could read.

As for your question, "Is it legitimate to be able to engage them in kind?"

Yes. But in a formal debate setting where the participants are aware enough to understand that the 'personal digs' are not personal at all.

Responding in such kind out on the forums is unacceptable because more likely than not, the posters are too passionate and already riled up. The liklihood that a thread derailment and irrational Ad Hominems to occur are much greater in this instance.

To my knowledge...a warning has never been issued in the Debate Forum proper. Perhaps you would prefer discussion there?

Edit to Add: Because I am a stickler for details, it should be pointed out that the process of debate and the Obama/McCain process are exclusive of each other. Your thread title is a bit misleading...

[edit on 8-10-2008 by MemoryShock]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
As directed early, please address your issue within the ATS issues thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

top topics

join