It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perino:Whitehouse Won't Extend Jobless Benefits, Says People Should Just Find a Job!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Constitutional Scholar

wow

Guess you better read the terms and conditions again.

Participants can respond to anything that is publicly posted. There are no "private" conversations. U2U somebody if you want to comment in private.

And not being rude is another requirement.

Thanks, welcome to ATS and continue to freely state your opinions.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by zlots331

I wasnt being rude. You obviously didnt read the previous posts, yet you still felt it necessary to interject your opinion.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by zlots331
Originally posted by xxpigxx
Originally posted by pureevil81
reply to post by xxpigxx

Those benefits that you have paid into are technically for emergency purposes. You being proud, is not an emergency purpose.

Losing your job through no fault of your own making is the "emergency purpose" that unemployment insurance is for. jeez

Getting fired for cause or quiting a job are not eligible for benefits.

nuff said

That is not an emergency. it would be an emergency if every single job in the country was filled. Is it there to hold you over until become employed again? Sure! Is it there for you to mooch off of because the other jobs are to low class for you? Hell no!

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Zlots, do you have a job or are you currently unemployed?

If you are unemployed, what city do you live in?

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Constitutional Scholar

1) The question is really not pertinent to the discussion at hand.

2) But just to satisfy your curiosity, I am semi-retired, and continue to do consultant work for several national engineering companies out of my home.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

who said anything about taxes? taxes for your use of road ways are paid WHEN YOU BUY YOUR CAR.

you say 95% of people who CAN work do. by your figures thats still 5 percent who do NOTHING.

if your one of them, u2u me and we will get on craigslist immediately and help you find work.

if your hungry enough, then you are apt to do almost anything.

[edit on 9-10-2008 by drsmooth23]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by zlots331

I only asked because if you were unemployed I was going to find you a job today, in your home city.

Craigslist, backpage, and local newspapers are all filled with help wanted ads.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I think it is about high time to crash the system, declare a new Government and remove all the protections from former Legislators so that they can, for the first time ever, be subject to what they have done to us. I can think of a number of previously elected persons I would like to see dumpster diving and walking skid row.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Unemployment benefits are not a gift from the government.

Unemployment insurance is financed entirely by a tax on payrolls paid by employers. To qualify for benefits, you must have worked for an employer who was required to pay the tax.

So in reality in today's most of the employers that can afford to maintain the unemployment insurance are those that pay above average salaries.

For somebody that just lost a job do to outsourcing and downgrading of a company like those people that were working for the financial institutions that when going bankrupt they are now unemployed.

So to even hint that is jobs around the nation and that people are just lazy is just plain ignorant.

No wonder our nation is going down the crapper when people have to lower their standards of living due to lost of jobs and start working in McDonald to support the families.

Well they may be able to eat the burgers but that will no be enough to pay for their mortgage.

No everybody that are losing homes to foreclosures is due because they are lazy and living beyond their means.

For Many the economy is the one that has put them in that stage, in American no only jobs that were enough to maintain middle class are gone but also our standards of living are been downgrade.

The America dream is dying for many Americans everyday.

Facts About Unemployment Insurance Benefits Your workforce experts

www.sdjobs.org...

[edit on 9-10-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

you should read the lot of my post mate, i am aware that if you are hungry you will do anything for money, what i am saying is that you should be able to subside with dignity. when a man loses his dignity he often loses his moral compass along with it. overall this is not a good thing.

as regard a job, your alright thanks, i've got a job, and i've worked hard, with little formal education, and gotten myself to a point where it is now quite a well paid job. the real shocker is that i've done this in a welfare state

i'm not an american, i find it disgusting that you guys have the richest country in the world and are still unwilling to support the weakest in it.

by the way, i'm still waiting for a morally decent argument against a welfare state.

and 'scholar, please define where it clearly states in the US constitution that welfare is wrong. if it's not a matter of interpretation, it should be clearly stated. i'm quite familiar with the document, it's pretty straight forward and a requirement if you want to look into a lot of the NWO stuff, but i've never noticed that passage.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

you miss the point completely, as i would assume. ignorant, like i said.

i have missed 2 days of work in 8 years. i wont get off my ass ????

the point is, if i make 15 dollars an hour, why should i have to sell everything and have to work at mcdonalds? nobody should have to do that.

what about the fat cats that i have to pay more money to now, why cant they seel a couple of their mansions? how about one of their extra convertables?

i could go work at mcdonalds for peanuts, it is not below me, i am usually very humble

now unemployment benefits are there for a purpose, i have to use them for that purpose now, alot of people have to right now.

but when someone goes to work EVERYDAY and then get laid off, how is that our fault.

i am still doing pretty good, it could be worse, but the fact is, i make more in unemployment than i would at mcdonalds, why should anyone have to sacrifice like what you say.

you probably still wont get it, but i expect that from ignorant morons such as yourself.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

i totally agree with the moral compass thing. i saw a smart quote about the situation on another thread that essentially said "its like 1929 but without the morals"

also you should understand that 97% of all our wealth rests within less than 3% of the population.

there is nothing wrong with the theory of being proud of your country.

we get yelled at all the time for rushing across our borders to help other nations in need. alot of the yelling comes from very hungry Americans who cannot find their way out of the hole life threw them in. we have starving people in America, as im sure there are hungry people in your nation as well.

i have no problem helping people in need, i just think we need a stronger definition for the word "need"

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
6 months to find a job? And certain elected officials want more? Certain elected officials always seem to want more, don't they?

Has anyone else noticed that since they raised the minimum wage..... unemployment has gone through the roof? Hmmm.

NO but I have noticed that the entire GOP/CONSERVATIVE philosophy has destroyed our country financially... Hows that trickle going for you?

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Amen sister!

It is amazing that the nasty ANTI AMERICAN CITIZEN attitude comes from Americans.
Its like a strange form of penis envy that won't go away. It is based entirely on the concept that the majority of struggling Americans are LAZY...

These same people will defend the rich/corps. even while their country is falling apart.

DOW -678.91

DAMN that $.25 minimum wage hike!!!

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
When people cant find work, have no money and need to feed themselves or family they resort to crime and that costs your government more than unemployment benefits id guess

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

Are you a housewife or a child?.... you are obviously far removed from reality my friend.

I work at a High End German sports car dealership and have made over $100k for the last 3 years , I have a Wife & 2 kids and and live in the suburbs of NYC so my bills reflect that. My compensation is strictly commission only , which means I receive no salary so every dollar I earn I worked for and If I don't sell I don't get payed. Due to the current market people are scared and aren't buying. So I'm searching for a new job & I can't live off of $20 a hour. I'll make more money off of unemployment than I will working for minimum wage & I believe in working smarter not harder. SO yeah If I get let go should I go work for Mc Donalds next week or should I maybe do a work from home sales job , collect unemployment and send out my Resume until I can find a job that can pay my bills?.... what would you do?

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

what about the guys in the situations outlined in this thread? i'm happy to pay a few cents an hour to make sure they keep the dignity that kept them getting up every day for all the years they had work. i'm also happy to pay a few cents every hour i work so they don't need to go out and get three crappy jobs to support their family, leaving them no time to look for, and get, a decent job, but more importantly, they has spent all those years paying the state, as a whole, more than a few cents every hour and they should have a right to help now, if they feel they need it.

but, yeah, i see your point, it's difficult to define who is genuine and who is not. but it's not as if america has no model to follow, there are systems in place in almost every welfare state to make the determination, the easiest one for you guys might be that there is a requirement on the recipient to show that they are actively seeking employment but are unsuccessful, in other words, you get help if you show that you can't get work, (rejection letters or whatever) despite your efforts. if you don't make an effort, you don't get help.

how's does that sit with you as a definition of need?

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

That is the problem with many Americans they have not clue as to the circumstances that somebody in a middle or higher income may find themselves overnight and prompt them to live on government assistance.

Actually many people in this income level have some savings and investment that will allow them to support themselves until finding another job in the same pay range of the one the lost.

but then what happen when is not employment to fill the income gap?.

They will lose everything.

Is amazing that is OK for some to bail out the fat cats in Washington but is unthinkable to take care of the tax payer that is been scammed into the bail out when they find themselves jobless, see the CEOs of failing financial systems can go to California and join a high class resort to relieve stress, the regular Joe just get evicted from their homes..

Because actually is the middle class tax payer the one that is been scammed as the poor do not pay taxes at all.

[edit on 9-10-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

oh yeah i think something like that would be alright. we have stuff that is kind of like that in place, but its more of a tax form that you just fill in with numbers for a spread sheet.

think of all the jobs that could be created from a government/employer support authentication department. i know its not wise to kick people when they are down, but investigations into their situation may prove to find better solutions for their particular situation.

proof of trying to better your situation would be acceptable to me. However, I would LOVE to see the figures of welfare drawers who never finished high school or an equivalent program. i think that should also be a deciding factor.

I feel recipients in a way are investments. if a person doesnt invest in themselves why should anyone else?

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Thanks Marg,

Now that the thread has wandered back to the original OP I thought I'd jump back in (carefully).

I went to your link and found that N. Dakota is very similar to NY in the requirements to obtain unemployment.

For someone who has never had to use the system a couple of interesting points;

1) You must be willing and able to work.
2) You must actively search for work and report on that search weekly to the dept.
3) You must be willing to accept a position that is commensurate with your education, experience, and work history.
4) You must be willing to accept a wage that is reasonable with regards to #3, although not necessarily equal to your last wage, but based on local averages for that position.

Nowhere does it state that you have to run out and get a job at McDonald's, although sadly many times it comes to that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join