It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perino:Whitehouse Won't Extend Jobless Benefits, Says People Should Just Find a Job!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Actually, welfare to anyone (rich or poor) is unconstitutional. All forms of it need to be eliminated immediately.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
The original thread title caught my eye mainly because the statement came from Dana Perino, who I firmly believe to be the demon daughter spawn of Dick Cheney. Comments have been made in the past that Cheney's compound is blocked out from Google Earth but I have found out that its just to hide the secret laboratory where he conducts experiments to create totally emotionless zombies who can be directed to spew nonsense and confuse reporters from what is really going on in government.

But now that I've read some of the posts here I have become somewhat troubled.

I'm taking a wild guess here but I think, now this is only my personal opinion, that some of the more negative posters have never been put in a position where their lives and livelihood have been destroyed by corporate greed.

Picture this scenario;
You are working for a company that under new ownership has decided to streamline operations to improve profits for their shareholders.
You are currently the facilities/environmental engineer with a staff of 20 in charge of the infrastructure and chemical processes for factories in three different states.
The company has always had a history of supporting the employees as integral to the success of the company.
The new ownership understands that several in the senior management will fight their plans to gut the workforce to send jobs out of the country and insist that they respect those workers who have given 20, 30, and even 40 years of their lives to the success of the company.
So they put their plan into place by first getting rid of the two vice presidents and three directors that will cause the most trouble and then methodically come up with whatever excuse they can to cut anyone in the company with more than 5 years of tenure and replace them with temps.
One of the directors is out of work for 13 months while sending out a minimum of ten resumes a week and interviewing within 100 miles of his home all while working the midnight shift at a gas station for $6.25/hr.
Finally, after withdrawing 80% of his investments (with penalties attached) to put food on the table and keep his house, he is lucky enough to revert back to a previous occupation as a water treatment operator, running a lab and digging ditches for the local water utility for $18/hr, down from $40/hr in his previous job.
You know what, he was considered one of the lucky ones because he wasn't around to see the looks on the faces of the people who lost their jobs and had no other skills to fall back on. They were factory workers and there were no factories left to work for. The ones that were still in business were so overwhelmed with applications that they finally stopped accepting them.

So, go back to living in your parents basements and play your video games. Maybe you'll have the pleasure of having this experience. And doing pick and shovel work at 54 is a great way to stay in shape. Sure beats the alternative.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
EXACTLY WHERE DO YOU THINK THE MONEY COMES FROM??? It's a state program/federal program...LOOK UP THE INFO~~~

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Constitutional Scholar
Actually, welfare to anyone (rich or poor) is unconstitutional. All forms of it need to be eliminated immediately.

Couldn't agree more.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by cw034

I'm not sure what your question means.

Where I live, unemployment insurance is deducted from every paycheck and the employer also is responsible for additional matching funds. These funds are then held in an account and distributed by the State. (Which is taxable by the way in my state, double dipping, paying tax on your earnings twice)

I'm not sure if the government has any other involvement other than setting limits as to the duration of payments.

Now I also don't know if these accounts are being depleted and supplemented by the government or not. As more people lose their jobs, which has reached outrageous levels lately, less deductions are available from the now non-existent paychecks and the employer matching funds will be gone also.

[edit on 9-10-2008 by zlots331]

[edit on 9-10-2008 by zlots331]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

Couldn't agree more.

Wouldn't that be something? It's hard to imagine a world without corporate welfare. I think it would be a better world if we could fix that.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   

reply to post by pieman

hmmm, well i guess that entirely depends on your particular interpretation of it.

doesn't matter anyway, one way or the other i couldn't give a fig, using constitutionality as a justification for anything is morally defunct. as my father would have said, "if the constitution told you to jump off a bridge, would you?"

if something is right or wrong you should be able to make an argument for or against it without a need to refer to the constitution. much like the bible, it is often quoted as justification for morally devoid beliefs.

so can you offer a good argument against welfare for those that are in need?

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
The American people in this nation has been taken for a ride with their taxes, people are been evicted from their homes by the thousands in many counties around the nation and what the American people are getting for saving the big fat rats in this nation with tax payer money? another slap on their faces so the commoners learn to stay in their place while the ruling elite play with their lives.

This what we get for sitting and doing nothing against the corrupted powers in our government.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by cw034
Oh please, you make it sound like we can just walk into any position. Must be nice to think so highly of your skills and so little of everyone elses. I was laid off in June for 7 weeks, was called back to my job, worked 1 month and was laid off again. I've worked for 30 years straight, and with the exception of being out of work on bed rest for 9 months when pregnant with my daughter, I've never not had a job or had to go on unemployment. For 29 years and 1 month I've paid into unemployment insurance...so now I'm a deadbeat because I have to use it. I should go get a job at McDonalds because I'm lazy??? And when I'm working crazy shifts at McDonalds when am I suppose to interview for the job I'm skilled to do, at a salary that I deserve to be paid??? You know what, I put my time, my sweat, MY TAX DOLLARS into unemployement, and I'm not going to accept any job because some politician who just bailed out a bunch of crooks thinks that I'm lazy. SCREW HER!! Maybe if these politician took some time to get all the damn illegal aliens out of this country, there would be more money in everyone's paycheck, and I wouldn't be paying 500 a month for health insurance through my husband company, while some Illegal is using the EMERGENCY ROOM as their free health care facility that is being paid by my 30 YEARS of taxes.

So...if I feel like sitting home on my big fat keester for a few months and collect...SO BE IT....IT'S MY DAMN MONEY THAT I PAID IN ALL THESE YEARS!!!!

Here . . . let me shorten that down for you:

I am to proud to work at McDonalds! It is beneath me!

Yep . . . that's about right.

All you complainers should watch that Will Smith movie, The Pursuit of Happiness. That story is a prime example of what you should be doing.

Pathetic, I tell you.

Just to name a few jobs . . . most restaurants are constantly hiring. School districts are always hiring. There is a school bus driver shortage. There is a deckhand shortage on tugboats. Heck . . . there is even day labor jobs!

But we are way to proud to accept those jobs . . .

What? those jobs won't pay the bills you have? Trade in the Cadillac for a Ford Focus (or a Prius for good gas mileage). Trade the plasma for a tube TV. Get a smaller house. Cut off the satellite and cable. Downgrade the broadband to dial up, or cut the web altogether. Leave the aircon off during the day, and use a fan. AT night, leave the windows open, instead of using the AC. Shop at Salvation Army, instead of Macey's. Walk or ride a bike, instead of driving. There are many things that can be done

There are no excuses for you to be mooching.

[edit on 9/10/2008 by xxpigxx]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

i cant even believe what youre saying, just bend over and take it up the ass because our government is corrupt, that is not how it works.

ignorant people suck.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

can you define need?

accident caused paralysis. thats about the only thing i can think of. some people claim obesity makes work impossible for them, but if they had gotten off their asses years ago they wouldn't be obese now would they?

to anyone who got kicked out of their home, was the home within your means to begin with?!?

i dont mind paying for kids to eat. parents, not so much.

hardship is a way of life. people who dont experience hardships are jaded. So are people who rely on others to do work they themselves are capable of. there are other industries beside fast food, and skilled labor usually nets around 10-15 an hour, not 7.

wasnt there a time when people started their own businesses? ok ok, banks arent lending, because we keep flipping out at people when they try and introduce capitol to the system.

iif you expect ANYONE to do ANYTHING for you, you can darn sure bet they will mold you into their little zombie.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman

hmmm, well i guess that entirely depends on your particular interpretation of it.

doesn't matter anyway, one way or the other i couldn't give a fig, using constitutionality as a justification for anything is morally defunct. as my father would have said, "if the constitution told you to jump off a bridge, would you?"

if something is right or wrong you should be able to make an argument for or against it without a need to refer to the constitution. much like the bible, it is often quoted as justification for morally devoid beliefs.

No need for any interpretation whatsoever.

unlike the bible, there is actual logic in the Constitution.

Of course I can offer an argument, actually I can offer many.

It isn't the job of someone to support me. It isnt the job of society to support anyone. Welfare is just another form of income redistribution.

Can you offer a good argument why the fruits of my labor should be taken from me and given to another just because they are in a rough spot in life?

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   

It isn't the job of someone to support me. It isn't the job of society to support anyone. Welfare is just another form of income redistribution.

I do believe you have entirely wandered off the point of the OP. We were talking about unemployment benefits, not welfare.

Unemployment insurance, read insurance, is something that is paid for by the worker and the employer through the workers wages.

Welfare is an entitlement given to a recipient who has made no contributions into the system.

Unless you have an intelligent comment about the OP, give up on the welfare diatribe.

Peace and love, baby

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by pureevil81
reply to post by xxpigxx

i cant even believe what youre saying, just bend over and take it up the ass because our government is corrupt, that is not how it works.

ignorant people suck.

Getting a job instead of a handout is bending over and taking it up the ass? I think the residents of Zimbabwe are he ones getting it up the ass.

At least you have an opportunity to do something for yourself . . . but no. You sit down and feel sorry for yourself, and cry about how there are "no jobs" when I just gave you two industries (that pay fairly well, BTW) that are desperate for workers.

Those benefits that you have paid into are technically for emergency purposes. You being proud, is not an emergency purpose.

That is EXACTLY what is wrong with this country, and EXACTLY why it is going to hell in a handbasket.

Edit: As for the ignorant part . . . I am ignorant because I want people to get off their butts and work to support themselves? Guess I am ignorant then. Guess my parents are too. My grandparents who went through the great depression must be the most ignorant ones in my family.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23(but not specifically)

that argument is nuts, by that logic people who don't drive cars shouldn't have to pay taxes for roads.

look, 95% of people will work if they can. this is the case in every welfare state in the world. a large chunk of the remaining 5% usually can't work, for various reasons. maybe 1 or 2% of the people just won't work, the worthless bum element, but then in all likelihood they will be in and out of prison so they'll be supported by taxpayers regardless.

the thing is, if employment is unavailable, there are those that normally would be working and contributing to the system who are unable to find work at that particular time and so they should be able to draw from the collective pool.

they will then work when they can and someone else will be out of work and the person that has been supported will then be supporting.

the important fact is that the support welfare offers should be subsistence level support. no-one likes to just subsist, but it does offer those that are normally contributing positively to society an oppertunity to endure the hard times in a dignified manner.

[edit on 9-10-2008 by pieman]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   

reply to post by drsmooth23

. . .

the thing is, if employment is unavailable, there are those that normally would be working and contributing to the system who are unable to find work at that particular time and so they should be able to draw from the collective pool.

. . .

The problem is people thinking that most jobs are beneath them. The problem is pride. There is no lack of jobs. There are plenty of jobs.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by zlots331

Actually I was referring to a post made by pieman, not you. You should stay out of conversations that don't concern you.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

100% correct.

If anyone here doesnt have a job, simply U2U me and I will provide you with at least 10 places that need people immediately in your city.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Originally posted by xxpigxx
Originally posted by pureevil81
reply to post by xxpigxx

Those benefits that you have paid into are technically for emergency purposes. You being proud, is not an emergency purpose.

Losing your job through no fault of your own making is the "emergency purpose" that unemployment insurance is for. jeez

Getting fired for cause or quiting a job are not eligible for benefits.

nuff said

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join