It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA to settle suit over Katrina gun seizures

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   

NRA to settle suit over Katrina gun seizures

news.yahoo.com

NEW ORLEANS - City officials have agreed to return hundreds of firearms that police officers confiscated in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, part of a deal to resolve a lawsuit filed by gun lobbying groups.

The settlement agreement filed Tuesday in federal court calls for the National Rifle Association and Second Amendment Foundation to drop their case if the city follows a plan for returning guns to owners who had them seized by police after the Aug. 29, 2005, hurricane.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   

"I think it satisfies all our concerns," said Dave Workman, a spokesman for the Bellevue, Wash.-based Second Amendment Foundation. "The city for way too long has been dragging its feet on this. We're glad it's over and we can move on to other issues."

How about the primary concern that every citizen who was disarmed by these thugs was helpless as their 2nd ammendmant rights were trampled, pissed on, and then kicked into the gutter? Seems like that concern has in no way been addressed. This is one thing about the NRA which I don't like, they're far too quick to take whatever concession they can get and then call it a victory when, in reality, they lost the primary battle. They should have kept the screws on this until it reached the point where a federal court had to decide whether or not rights were violated to begin with, hell, the SCOTUS if possible, even. Instead we have a cockamamie scheme to return the firearms (almost certainly not to their original owners as the "we bear no responsibillity for ownership disputes" clause practically gaurantees happening) and no addressing of the underlying violation of the US Constitution.

In response, the city argued that federal law doesn't apply to the plaintiffs' claims against city officials "because the right to keep and bear arms has never been recognized as a fundamental individual right."

That final quote makes my skin crawl. Any city official who made that claim should be automatically relieved of duty and barred from ever serving in a public representative or supported role again as they have undeniably proven themselves to be enemies of the United States Constitution and, in turn, the citizens of this nation.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Originally posted by burdman30ott6

In response, the city argued that federal law doesn't apply to the plaintiffs' claims against city officials "because the right to keep and bear arms has never been recognized as a fundamental individual right."

Oh really...?, I share your sentiments on this, burdman.

Plus, the source for the above quote is attributed to the 'city', perhaps they mean the city's lawyer or spokesperson?, as I've never heard of cities speaking on their own.

Just to point out to the 'city', this, from last years' US Court of Appeals D.C. ruling:

www.foxnews.com...

In a 2-1 decision, the judges held that the activities protected by the Second Amendment "are not limited to militia service, nor is an individual's enjoyment of the right contingent upon his or her continued intermittent enrollment in the militia."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Even Bush agrees (at least publicly)

www.cnn.com...

"As a longstanding advocate of the rights of gun owners in America, I applaud the Supreme Court's historic decision today confirming what has always been clear in the Constitution: the Second Amendment protects an individual right to keep and bear firearms," Bush said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If one wants to guarantee their own Second Amendment rights, I say, be willing to use your firearms in support of it. I guarantee I am.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I'm convinced, somewhere along the line, all levels of government received a memo that stated the U.S. Constitution is no longer a valid document, upon which we base our nation.

I'm sure the "we never felt the Second Amendment has afforded citizen's individual rights" will be the new mantra of the government.

Makes it not quite the fight when Martial Law comes rolling down the streets.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Wow that last quote made me shiver. But what is new. To Bush the Constitution is nothing but a "God***m piece of paper" Scary times for America indeed. I think we are going well beyond France and into Soviet Union territory.

top topics

join