It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

!!! VIRUS WARNING !!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2003 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I received this, so, becarefull. May be it's an hoax, but may be not !

During the next several weeks be VERY cautious about opening or launching any e-mails that refer to the World Trade Center or 9/11 in any way, regardless of who sent it.

PLEASE FORWARD TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY.

For those that don't know, 'WTC' stands for the World Trade Center. This is very dangerous because people will open it right away, thinking it's a story relating to 9-11.

Do not open "WTC Survivor"...It is a virus that will erase
your whole "C" drive. It will come to you in the form of an E-Mail from a familiar person. I repeat, a friend sent it to me, but called and warned me before I opened it.

He was not so lucky and now he can't even start his computer! Forward this to everyone in your address book. I would rather receive this 25 times than not at all. If you receive an email called "WTC Survivor" do not open it. Delete it right away! This virus removes all dynamic link libraries (.dll files) from your computer.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS MESSAGE

posted on Jan, 15 2003 @ 05:32 AM
link   
You can't get a virus from simply opening an Email...it has to come in a form of an attachment...so don't open any attachments

Unless there has been a change in how viruses can be transmitted, however, I doubt there has been.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Jan, 15 2003 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Thanks FM, I know. The guy just forgot to say " do not open the attachement, called WTC ".

B

posted on Jan, 15 2003 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreeMason
You can't get a virus from simply opening an Email...it has to come in a form of an attachment...so don't open any attachments

Unless there has been a change in how viruses can be transmitted, however, I doubt there has been.

Sincerely,
no signature

That's not true Freemason! There are currently emails flying around the web wich cointains a small virus. Immediatly when you open it you're #ed and it instantly send itselves to other emails & keeps on doing that. I've had it once and I can tell you > not funny

I think the htmlcode in the email directly opens the attachment without you knowing of it so for a part you are correct

posted on Jan, 15 2003 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreeMason
You can't get a virus from simply opening an Email...

Not true. There are several ways pieces of code can self-launch simply by seeing the preview of the e-mail in your preview-pan when using an e-mail application such as Outlook. Even with the most recent security updates from Microsoft, there is a potential threat with embeded HTML that sources external JavaScript or VBscript and automatically runs when the e-mail is previewed.

Thanks to the recent efforts of hackers, there are now even ways to launch malicious code from within seemingly simple images. It's very difficult, but indeed possible.

You're correct about attachments. Never, ever, for any reason, open an attachment from someone you don't completely trust... and even then, only for attachments you are expecting.

posted on Jan, 15 2003 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Look guys, anyway, that's not so important after all.

I did this topic just to warn everybody, that may be, a virus related to the 9/11 & WTC event were on the net.

So, do like you want, you have been warned ! If you don't mind, that's ok for me, because it's YOUR computer and NOT mine !
Me, I did what I have to do : I warned you.

And for your email software ( outlook or another one ), you can create a fake email account.

Just named it " 0000 " ( four time zero ), but do NOT fill it with a real email adress. If a virus try to use your emails directory, he will try first with this account ( " 0000 " ), and will be block by it.

You'll be contaminated, but your friends will be NOT contaminated by you, because it will be impossible for the virus to reach them.

posted on Jan, 15 2003 @ 11:04 AM
link   
In reality, this particular virus is a "time virus". In other words, it's damage is the time you spend talking about it.

This one is a complete hoax, no such virus. Just a stupid time waster.

However, if you really want to protect yourself, get a new Macintosh running OSX. No viruses yet and there may never be given the way the Unix OS functions and a built-in OS-level firewall on every machine. Very nice.

posted on Jan, 23 2003 @ 12:18 PM
link   
screw windows run unix. whatever flavour u want, mac osx, bsd, solaris, linux whatever. virus's dont affect your computer they affect your operating system which in turn affect your hardware. windows allows any user to run anything, not a good idea... the reason virus's exist in the first place. anyway i'm not gonna get too detailed into that. also a virus can infect u just by opening the email. thanks to good ol microsoft (anyone seeing a pattern here) with their hotmail, outlook, outlook express (most common ones) they try to open attatchments within the email. why do u think u can see images just by opening an email, images are attatchments (just an example) so ppl be careful. dont open chain letters or email that has a strange title to it. oh and winston do some homework bud, please dont call virus writers hackers. yet another person who is brain washed by the media.

posted on Jan, 23 2003 @ 12:26 PM
link   
That name sounded familiar so I went to the urban legends page... www.snopes2.com and the following is what it said...

Virus name: WTC Survivor

Examples: [Collected on the Internet, 2001]

(FOR THOSE THAT DONT KNOW, "WTC" STANDS FOR THE WORLD TRADE CENTER......WHICH MAKES THIS VIRUS REALLY DANGEROUS BECAUSE PEOPLE WILL OPEN IT RIGHT AWAY.....THINKING ITS A STORY RELATING TO 9/11.....PLEASE BE CAREFUL.......

BIGGGG TROUBLE !!!! DO NOT OPEN "WTC Survivor" It is a virus that will erase your whole "C" drive. It will come to you in the form of an E-Mail from a familiar person. I repeat a friend sent it to me, but called and warned me before I opened it. He was not so lucky and now he can't even start his computer! Forward this to everyone in your address book. I would rather receive this 25 times than not at all.

If you receive an email called "WTC Survivor" do not open it. Delete it right away! This virus removes all dynamic link libraries (.dll files) from your computer. This is a serious one.

Origins: Quick on the heels of the September 11 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center came the "WTC Survivor" virus hoax. Although a virus could be harbored in a mail message bearing any subject line the sender chose, there was never a rash of disabled computers or deleted DLL files caused by e-mail messages titled "WTC Survivor" -- this one was a hoax from the very beginning.

Additional information: WTC Survivor
(Symantec Security Response)
WTC Survivor
(McAfee Virus Information Library)

Last updated: 5 March 2002

The URL for this page is www.snopes.com...
Click here to e-mail this page to a friend
Urban Legends Reference Pages � 1995-2002
by Barbara and David P. Mikkelson
This material may not be reproduced without permission

posted on Jan, 23 2003 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by decifer
oh and winston do some homework bud, please dont call virus writers hackers. yet another person who is brain washed by the media.

I have been involved in the front-line battle against hackers.

Perhaps you could help educate us as to why those who create viruses (applications to subvert network security and take control of a computer) are not hackers (who strive to subvert network security and take control of a computer).

Please help us understand.

posted on Jan, 29 2003 @ 05:10 PM
link   
the people who create viruses 9 out of 10 times are nothing more than script kiddies that dont know what they're doing. they use things called virus labs to "create" there own viruses because they think its cool and thats what they see "hackers" do in movies.

our technology wouldnt be at the state it is without hackers. hell we wouldnt even have the wheel if it wasn't for a hacker. when people hear the word hacker they think pimple faced kids sitting infront of a computer who just wanna cause damage. hackers are people who try to solve problems. computer hackers do not break into computers and try to steal information and credit cards and #. those people are plane and simple criminals. there is a difference between hackers and criminals.

you say you've been in the front-line battle against hackers. well then my friend if you are telling the truth then you yourself are a hacker. unless of course u just took a course that gave u a little piece of paper that says your a system administrator. which i believe you have because other words you would have not made the comments you have made.

so heres an idea for everyone, quit listening to the main media. pick up a book and read something. you'd be amazed as to what you'll learn.

posted on Feb, 1 2003 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Winston,

Virii don't try to gain control of the computer. They are designed to bring it down. Trojan's create a backdoor to allow the script kiddie to get easy access to the computer, and because of that, IMO, they are not true virii.

Hacker's are not virii creator's. They look for hole's in the service's a computer is running. Both remote and local. Once a hole is discovered, they exploit that to gain root on the attacked computer.

I have been involved in the front-line battle against hackers.

I'm sorry, but the frontline's of some hacker oriented RPG just doesn't cut it when describing what *real* hacker's/cracker's/ and virri creator's are. And yes, there is a difference between each type. Unlike what you happen to think, they can't be simply labeled as hacker. Everytime I see you post something about hacker's I realize you know less than you make it look. Your actually doing a simple form of hacking. It's called social engineering. Your trying to convince other's that your something your not. Simple, easy, effective mental hack. Truth is, you really know less than what you spew on about... Bravo and kudo's to you for trying.

posted on Feb, 4 2003 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Winston??? You there? lol

top topics

join