It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Economic 9/11' Exacting Grim Psychological Toll In U.S.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DirtyHarry
would you stand beside me and fight right along side me?

Speaking for myself: Hell yes.

I know a lot of people who would -- the trouble is leadership we can trust.

too many people have no back bone, we've lost that after the 70's

The people still have backbone -- it's our leaders that have become jellyfish.

P.S. Maxmars -- I've really come to enjoy your posts. Much respect.

[edit on 10/8/08 by The Axeman]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

While I agree with you I am not seeing it in my neck of the woods.
No panic, No worry, No talk just going out to eat, shopping at the mall, just a usual day in the heart of suburbia.
My husband and I are bewildered by the lack of concern around here, his restaurant continues to be full every lunch and dinner (and dinners at $25 a head) the moms that I converse with have NO CLUE. They are concerned with the latest gab fest, Desperate Housewives episode or how the PTA president is doing. Several times I have broached economic and political conversations with these women and they all look at me like I am insane and then someone quickly changes the conversation back to some petty subject.
In the last week I have stopped making comments to anyone in my community because it is worthless, they have no idea and choose to avoid all subjects. The only time that this community will wake up is if/when nothing comes out of the ATM, their credit cards get denied, equity lines get lowered otherwise it is business as usual around here.
My husband and I have prepared, we do not live off any form of credit, we do our research and are in touch with the situation but we are the minority by far.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
It is possible to have a point of view that does not look at the current economic situation as a discrete event, but rather just one more piece of being alive during the collapse of a major civilization. A particularly obtrusive piece, to be sure...

There have been a massive number of signs that this civilization is in collapse, for decades... everything from the dissolution of the community discussed above, to the kinds of packaging deemed necessary for small products and drugs ("tamper-evident") to the comparitive salaries paid to teachers and sports figures to "planned obsolescense" to the decay of basic infrastructure and more...

This collapse is a huge thing, and started a long time ago. It is now getting to the point that it is becoming obvious. Since it is such a huge thing and has the inertia of years, nothing that anybody does now will stop it. Some actions may lessen the impact, others may add to it.

I've found that for me at least, the best way to avoid stressing about it is to accept it is happening, and deal with it.

As to what lies ahead, civilization collapses can be messy. I will not be at all surprised when we see martial law in the US, with accompanying "terrorist" (or "freedom-fighter") attacks.

It will not be boring.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Couldn't agree more with the tone of this thread! Separateness, Ego, Greed . . . all to blame for the current conditions and I don't believe it's just a symptom of the current situation either. Governments and religion have been driving a wedge into civilization since we first formed cities.

I was just posting about this in a thread on spirituality, but it translates the same to society. Talks about emotional intelligence in relation to I.Q.
www.abovetopsecret.com...'

Our ablity to see how we are connected and our role as "neighbors" has diminshed increasingly over the years. Technology makes it so we don't have to rely on the community or our ties to the land, images have replaced inward reflection on subjects . . . and all the while our egos have expanded through material greed. Sad.

And those that think a revolution is needed are right . . . the question is will it be physical and violent . . . or social and peaceful?

[edit on 10/8/08 by solomons path]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
This is especially true with black people(I'm Black) who take to the brainwashing worse than anybody else.

You'd have old Black people who rather starve to death themselves than share the land, or their homes with familiy members who they see as having not worked as hard as they did.

Sixty years ago--before welfare, it was just the oppsosite. Extended families had no choice but to poole what they had and help eachother out.

Everybody is into this bootstrap and Daniel Boone mentality which is only about fifty years old in this Country(U.S.) Before that, this Nation was pure soclialism, first with slavery which is about as communist as you can get, and then about a hundred years of people helping eachother survive the end of slavery.

Capiltalism has only had about 60 years of success and during half of that it was in the process of failing.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by solomons path
And those that think a revolution is needed are right . . . the question is will it be physical and violent . . . or social and peaceful?

I'm thinking it will be a mix of both... there will no doubt be areas of pure hell, as well as enclaves of civilization in the real sense.

And those civilized areas may well be required to exercise some degree of violence in defense.

I often fall back on the mix of truth and nonsense in the saying:

"All the love in the world won't stop a machine gun"

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by The Axeman

I always said the same thing about being born in the wrong century. I think we will start seeing families living together again as there will be no other choice.
We have become so compartmentalized , that we do not know how to function as a whole. We have been led to believe the American dream is to do better than your parents, own your won home. We put our parents in nursing homes because we are too busy working for our dream than to take care of them.
This is a generalization of course.

I too would like to see families living together, working together, and being closer as a result.

Ama

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

Question is will there be an opportunity for all of that?

In generalization, yes. People living in suburbs or communities outside of major cities will have the ability to do that.

As for more rural families, depending on how bad the economy gets, will have have a harder time of doing that, seeing that they have to drive farther to get to work, and may not be able to afford a vehicle for every working body.

So possibly, and its a big IF, people may have to live together with friends or co-workers just to be able to have a roof over their heads somewhere close to work.

[edit on 10/01/2008 by DirtyHarry]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DirtyHarry
As for more rural families, depending on how bad the economy gets, will have have a harder time of doing that, seeing that they have to drive farther to get to work, and may not be able to afford a vehicle for every working body.

The ideal situation would be that the family works together *at home* to make themselves self-sufficient.

If the economy collapses, and your employer can't give you a valid check -- you still gonna go to work?

Better get to plantin' some peas.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I've been concerned about the economy for a long time, like others have here. I probably started about the impending downfall of the economy about 5 years ago. I was in high school and it helped me choose a career that should be safe. I always felt like I could handle it until recently. Things just seem so bleak, especially for my generation. My peers have no idea what's going on and hardly anything seems to be addressed to what their future will be like. No documentaries or anything, and I feel there should be because its important.

I sort of feel like I'm on the cutting edge and this anxiety is just going to keep spreading, until its easily apparent to everyone. It just seems like simply "existing" is becoming more and more difficult. College is becoming more and more required just to live, but the rewards (salary) gained from college seems to be getting less and less, and there are a good number of my family and friends that choose not to go to college and I don't know how they're going to make it. (Forgot to mention the crazy increases in tuition, my college bumped there's up from about $360 per credit to $575 in one year) The most worrying part of all this is the impact it will have on the younger generation, and I really hope it won't be that bad. Its like trying to build a house during an earthquake. At least the older folks have a house already built....(except its being foreclosed
)

[edit on 8-10-2008 by ghaleon12]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

You have expressed exactly what I have been thinking in the last year or so. How sad I am that my family is spread out across our country. How much more we could accomplish as a family that lived together on a large piece of land, all contributing. It is my goal and dream to live as self sustainingly as I can one day, and the best thing that could come from financial collapse, and depression, is communities coming together for entertainment and, well, community.

ETA, I had to quit listening to NPR, it was depressing me. I had to listen to pop, which is fairly upbeat, and now I am not nearly as depressed over my countries time of crisis. Personally, I would like to hear more discussion on how overinflated all of our markets were to begin with, and why we are calling this a huge crisis(thus inflaming tempers and psyches) when IMO it could simply be deflating back to a reasonable standard. Being hard up for cash is a great reason to make more friends, friends can always cheer me up for free.

[edit on 8-10-2008 by hotbakedtater]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
As long as everyone remembers one thing. This is a worldwide economic crisis. This is unlike anything we have ever seen because recessions/depressions and the like that use to affect only one country is one thing, but a worldwide economic crisis is completely different.

As one other poster mentioned, they couldnt believe the folks that have no idea that anything is going on. Also, i cant believe the number of folks who "are in the know" who think this is only happening in the US. Wow.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by DirtyHarry

Yes it would be harder, but I am looking generations down the line. The home gets passed through the family. It is paid off, members goto work, and expand the family land, or what have you. Just one idea.

You know, I have not felt safe in years. It does not matter what neighborhood I live in, I do not go out at night. I remember when I used to have a glass front door with an old fashioned keylock, would sleep outside on my trampoline just to enjoy the stars.

I have been saying to people for a while a depression would be much different this time around. The last one people were more moral. Now days people get shot over 5 bucks. People get shot because they feel disrespected.
People do not know how to handle conflict anymore. Its all about self pride and nothing else matters. So it will be much more dangerous this time around.

We need to go backwards and step by step undo where everything went wrong. I personally blame the media as a main cause to the degradation to the community.

I do not see this happening . Too many people think this is normal.
Get the families back together. Thats a start.

Ama

[edit on 8-10-2008 by amatrine]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
The odd thing I noticed is that NO ONE I know is talking about the economy. Not ONE person. Nobody at school in any of my classes/ I run into.

I read on here often about how the troops are here to quell the violence & rebellion that's goign to happen because of the economy and read your post, Dimentional Detective startign this thread. I know you post truthful things and believe the article - it's just weird to not see it in my life. Are some parts of the country more affected than others?

It's like a movie, I feel like, jeez am I the only one here who even knows about this?

I live in a major Us city. But considering where I live, maybe it isn't a suprise why no one is sayign anything.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Using panic as a measuring stick for the actual health of the economy or the country is going to always make things look bad.

As a rule, people love to panic and act hysterical. It gives meaning to their lives, and gives them a way to explain why they are not in a position in life that they find satisfactory (because its something elses fault - the "economy").

Panic has no basis in rationality. I know someone who has been acting positively hysterical over the stock market even though neither him nor anyone in his immediate family owns a single stock.

The MSM and sites like rawstory make big bucks out of stirring up fear and making people panic. It gets the ratings, and it gets the page hits. I'd say don't fall for it as its a scam...but most of ATS sadly already has.

Is the economy going to collapse? Is the great depression nigh? In the opinion of every informed economist (those with a track record of being right) - no. But that doesn't matter, because if you can spread fear and scare people into thinking the great depression has arrived, its all that easier to manipulate them.

[edit on 8-10-2008 by LowLevelMason]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Sounds like a trifecta to me.
Perhaps this is what the web bot was predicting?

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Realms
The odd thing I noticed is that NO ONE I know is talking about the economy. Not ONE person. Nobody at school in any of my classes/ I run into.

Well imagine that! Try going down to a senior center where many folks have lost a significant amount of their retirement from thier IRAs. It's all they talk about!!

[edit on 8-10-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
The deaths are tragic for sure but.........

This is a mess of our own doing.

First we elected politicians that allowed the financial industry to police itself.

Also a huge majority of people do not live within thier means. Its really that simple IMHO. The proliferation of cheap, easy, and marginal credit, allowed people to finance a lifestyle they could ill afford. At some point you have to pay up. Don't get me wrong the banks are just as quilty in this whole mess.

SO perhaps this is a wakeup call for all of those people.

[edit on 10/8/08 by FredT]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by tdogg1
Capiltalism has only had about 60 years of success and during half of that it was in the process of failing.

You are wrong. This is not Capitalism's fault. We are not practicing capitalism in its pure form. We involve government and the free market together which creates these problems (as it did with the USSR too with Gorbachev). Capitalism did not fail.

Many people here yearn for a time that never existed. "Oh how I miss those old days when everyone farmed, laughed together and loved each other. It was perfect." Sorry, those days never existed. There were always problems. Always greed, worry, hardships, famines, inflation, deflation, unemployment, depression.

So get off your rocking chairs and wake up to reality. These problems have plagued humanity from antiquity, this isn't a "new" phenomena.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

Sure there have always been hard times, but if you could pick your poison , what would you pick. Of course this is all hypothetical.

None the less, yes greed was always there, but morals were stronger in times past than they are now. There was not so much decay in the family unit.

We have as time moved on, let things slip by, and given in on moral issues in society, and as we let each one go, we are crumbling. If people that died 100 years ago, came back to see what it is like today, they would be mortified.

Sure we have technological advancement , but we as people are going backwards. Maybe caveman bonked people on the head with their sticks over a piece of meat, now they shoot each other over pride .

Evil has always existed, but the amount of evil today that the average citizen of the world allows, is far more exuberant now that it ever has been. It comes down to selfishness. Do unto me and screw you. Thats what I see everywhere I look.

I am not on a high horse. I am on a pale one. I am saddened every day by what I see in society and always pray that there is something I can do somehow to bring some light in this world, no matter how small.

Ama

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join