It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Economic 9/11' Exacting Grim Psychological Toll In U.S.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   

'Economic 9/11' Exacting Grim Psychological Toll In U.S.

rawstory.com

Chicago-based psychologist Nancy Molitor told AFP the numbers of people seeking help because of finance-related anxiety had skyrocketed."In my 20 years of practice I have never seen anything like this, the anxiety is through the roof," Molitor told AFP, estimating she had seen a 50-percent increase in volume of calls.

The sense of bewilderment caused by financial crisis was comparable to the effect of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, Molitor said, impacting people of varying ages and backgrounds.

"This compares to 9/11 in terms of the impact, definitely. And it's significant that it isn't a Wall Street crisis as I see it -- it's affecting the entire consumer economy, and almost every individual that I see.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8-10-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
An elderly woman, killing herself rather than becoming homeless due to foreclosure...A father, losing everything financially, murdering his whole family then commiting suicide...Psychologist waiting lists sky-rocketing...

The toll of this just keeps mounting, and with the job market losing hundreds of thousands of positions every other month, and nearly another million homes forecasted to go into default / foreclosure in the coming months, this could be something that is potentially going to explode...

People can only take so much of a beatdown...

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I guess it's true what they say: Ignorance truly is bliss.

I have friends that don't have half a clue what's going on... it's like they live on a different planet. Sometimes I envy them, but then I think about what it would be like to be completely blindsided by what is going to happen here... then, not so much.

There have been a few that have turned to inward violence... before long we'll start seeing the signs of outward violence, just watch.

Really we are already, what with Fuld getting knocked out and all... but that's incredibly tame compared to what I fear is coming...

It's a sad state of affairs, indeed. Dark times.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It feels like they "want" or "need" us in a highly stressed, anxious state...whomever "they" are...To what end, is what has me the most worried. It's all right out of the controlling the masses playbook.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman

I have friends that don't have half a clue what's going on... it's like they live on a different planet. Sometimes I envy them, but then I think about what it would be like to be completely blindsided by what is going to happen here... then, not so much.

There have been a few that have turned to inward violence... before long we'll start seeing the signs of outward violence, just watch.

Really we are already, what with Fuld getting knocked out and all... but that's incredibly tame compared to what I fear is coming...

I hear you, we that think a little more outside normal thought have seen this coming for years. However we have been called crazy, conspiracy theorists, etc, etc. I wish I didnt know, I wish I could look at this and think it will turn around. However too many puzzle pieces are fitting together, and it seems that we are going into not end times, but different, harder times to be sure.

It killed me to read that story about the elderly lady, as well as the guys kids who were murdered by the person they should trust the most. It is a sickening world right now, and I agree that it is going to get worse. I have always carried a compact pistol for personal protection, however latlely I have been carrying a rifle as well with extra ammo. I dont want to be caught off gaurd, I believe things are going to get ugly out in the world. I hope it doesnt, but I think it is once people start realizing it isnt going to get better.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Cigarettes, heroin and alcohol are hard to quit also but there is light without them. I hold out hope that things are different this time due to the mixing of our cultures and our world wide connections thanks in part to the internet and satellites. We don't really NEED all the things we have been conditioned to believe we are less than normal if we do not have them.

We get to relearn to be frugal which will make us stronger in the future until the rich decide to pull the carpet out from under the system again.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

Yeah we're all going to be really frugal when the worthless paper dollar is deemed truly worthless, and we're back to a barter system.

You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to see the signs.

Emergency supplies, guns, ammunition, gold. All worthwhile purchases, IMHO.

Maybe I'm sensationalizing a bit, but I don't doubt as much as I used to that there could be a physical, violent Revolution.

I hope it doesn't come to that, I really do.

On the other side of that coin, I give you this:

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

So, how close do you think we are? Close enough to be scary, IMO.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I keep wishing that there was some way... The masses could be convinced to come together with their neighbours, instead of wanting to shoot everyone around when things get bad.

Self sustainable communities may be the future, and only those who comes together will make it that far

We have been pre-conditioned to not trust our neighbours. This was all intentional, as well as the "Two party system", to keep us from every being able to come together.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis
We have been pre-conditioned to not trust our neighbours. This was all intentional, as well as the "Two party system", to keep us from every being able to come together.

...as well as the destruction of the family unit...

I couldn't tell you my neighbors' first names, outside the two directly adjacent, and even then one of them is 50/50.

Why, oh, why didn't people just listen to Thomas Jefferson?! The man was a genius!

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by The Axeman

Don't worry, many of my neighbours are straight from Mexico, and don't exactly have the English thing down. I think most people are very distanced from those around them.

And the destruction of the family started, I believe, when women left the home to work instead of raise children and teach them values and respect.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I just found out that half of my retirement has been lost due to the stockmkt crash of O8.

My psychological state has turned to anger. I know who to blame.

Best scrap off Bush/Cheney or McCain/Palin stickers on your car.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis
And the destruction of the family started, I believe, when women left the home to work instead of raise children and teach them values and respect.

I think it goes further back than that -- I'm talking about the destruction of the extended family unit. Where the whole family lived in the same home/ on the same land and all worked as a unit to survive.

Those days are so long gone it seems like a fairy-tale to me.

I've always said I was born in the wrong century.

As to the original topic, do you think it's an accident or coincidence that the correlation was made between this clusterf*** and 9/11?

Do you think the psychological impact would be more or less if you remove that correlation?

They keep saying "this is the lowest the DOW has been since 2003" or whatever -- think about it -- were we doing poorly then? No, it's the system. It's ever expanding and there's no end to it outside of collapse.

I was just talking to my dad the other day and he said he remembers paying $0.19/gallon for gasoline. Made me want to jump off a building.

Jeez, I need to go call my counselor now.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Best scrap off Bush/Cheney or McCain/Palin stickers on your car.

No love for Bush here, but if you think he's the cause of the problem you need ot look deeper. He exacerbated the problem to be sure... but this has been going on for a long time.

The real question is this: Is it a coincidence that all this comes to a head just as he prepares to leave office (or does he?
)?

For all the stickers (or the candidates) are worth, scrape off the Obama ones, too.

[edit on 10/8/08 by The Axeman]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
The problem is that when you inflict this on other nations you party, when it happens to you its a disaster and you pray for each other. Maybe Yankee christians should pray for the Iraqui's, Palestinians, Afghans, American Indians genocided and the rest of the victims you created in this world rather than prey for your daughters breast jobs....maybe...jut maybe things won't be as bad as they will be...ever heard of what comes around goes around?

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

yes alot of "our neighbors" are from mexico...but have you ever heard of the expression "You mess with one bean, you mess with the whole burrito!"???

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DirtyHarry

Exactly -- because their culture hasn't pushed them to sever ties and be a "loner" or whatever. Their family ties are strong, and their cultural ties are strong.

What do you think of when you think of American culture? Big Macs and Britney Spears? We have no identity as a people anymore, and that is intentional.

When one doesn't have support at home, one goes to a psychologist/counselor/whatever and pays them $150 an hour to do what one's grandmother could do if our culture hadn't been destroyed in the name of Corporations and greed.

They call it progress.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DirtyHarry

Yeah, perhaps there is a benefit to living in the middle of a little Mexico in Oregon. MAYBE they will keep the trouble makers out of the neighbourhood!! Lol

On the other hand, maybe they will decide I am worth killing when my dog starts looking tasty.

Never know.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman

i agree, sometimes i try to picture what must be going through the peoples mind that really dont have a clue of whats going on. have you seen some of the people at the presidential debates, talking about how their partys' candidate is so awesome and what he talks about is so true and its the only right way to go, VOTE (insert candidate) !!!!

its insane to see the people think and talk like that. i want to go to those debates, get on stage, kick the moderator out and ask my own questions, and keep pressing them till they actually answer the question. NO MORE DODGING the question or ATTACKING each other. *sigh* what i would do if i had an opportunity like that...

do you really think that? i know dark times are ahead, but do you think that the sheeple will be hearded by the german shephards, or do you think they will rally together and fight off the shephards as one group? honestly, i cant trust anybody to stand up and fight. people are way to scared...they dont want to end up in jail, tortured, possibly killed....for me, i would stand beside any one of you, but can i trust you not to run when the beating sticks come out and tear gas is used?? would you stand beside me and fight right along side me?

too many people have no back bone, we've lost that after the 70's

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I recall many years ago, a young John Kennedy Jr. on a talk show..., he said something that stuck in my mind;

The problem is (I am paraphrasing from memory here) that America has allowed herself to relinquish the concept of 'community'. In these times communities don;t really exist anymore, or if they do, they are a far cry from what we once had.

There was a time when parents would tell any child, if you see trouble or you need help knock on any door; knowing that ANY neighbor would unquestioningly assist and or protect any of the neighborhood kids. I don't even know 1/20th of my neighbors, what they do, or even their names.

I remember trick-or-treating on Halloween until well after dark, in neighborhoods I was unfamiliar with, and not having to worry at ALL about safety issues; now we fear our kids will vanish. I remember that picking up a hitchhiker was a 'good deed' instead of potential suicide.

Now we have the unusual stress of the engineered global economic collapse looming over all our lives. Like a catastrophe in slow motion, that we are consigned to simply watch and endure - waiting, in vain hope, for someone to tell us that it is ending, or there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

That word is not coming. Politicians power evaporates unless there is a crisis to address. They will ensure we remain fearful and anxious forever; because 'they' get to pretend they are going to 'fix' it for us. But they never do. Do they?

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

just as long as your dog isnt a little chihuaha

but i live in texas, and its insane out here, you actually need to know a little bit of spanish to get around sometimes lol

but hey, we're all crazy as hell so i think that there will be a little "Texas Rangers" rifleman group again like back in the 1800's

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join