It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally, NC Blue Lodge accepts Prince Hall.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Masons give nod to black brethren.

Richard Stradling, Staff Writer
Comment on this story

Members of the state's predominantly white Masonic organization struck down a vestige of the segregation era Friday when they voted to recognize members of the black organization as brother Masons.
The vote -- at the annual convention of the Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons of North Carolina in Winston-Salem -- follows years of frustration among the group's leadership, which each year had introduced a resolution to recognize the black group.

"Old ways, old cultures and old traditions die hard," said the group's grand master, David Cash, a Methodist minister from Kannapolis. "And that's why this is so monumental."

The black organization, the Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of North Carolina, officially recognized its white counterpart in 2004. Prince Hall Grand Master Milton "Toby" Fitch Jr. said that Leonard Safrit Jr., a former grand master of the white group who has become a close friend, called him moments after Friday's vote, as he has each year since 2004.

www.newsobserver.com...

I can only hope the same comes to my state soon. some may disagree, but I beleive until this is true in all southern lodges the hypocrisy of our fathers will remain our roadblock to our future.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8/10/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Amen brother. I had my first taste of this heated debate last month in our lodge. I am of the extreem minority in my belief that a mason is a mason. We talk about the internal qualities of a man and some still hold to the old (dare I say racist) ways. There has to be quite a bit we could share with our Prince hall brothers. I am just glad I am now permitted to talk about masonry with them. I would very much like to visit a lodge. From what I have seen they put on a great show with very well done floor work. If we truely want racism to end, someone has to take a few steps to start in the correct direction. In my opinion, this a a bunch of steps. I pray for the future.
So mote it be.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Indeed, such foolishness should have ended years ago. (Well, technically, it should have never started, but that's a level of revisionism that one can't do anything about...)

I always considered it a non-issue, and as a young Mason was slightly confused about the origin and need for Prince Hall lodges... you see, when I was raised, it was a black Worshipful Master who welcomed me and another black officer who gave my my charge. Right now, in my regular blue lodge there are 4 black officers, including two in the top 2 seats. So, again, the idea of segregated Masonry is inherently foreign to me. I hope for a day when it's equally alien to everyone.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Well I won't say all masons are masons....I take issue with atheism and the Grand Orient. But that's not about race , that to me is about philosophy and morality which IS at the heart of what makes a mason, a mason.

top topics

join