It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man gets head stuck inside particle accelerator!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles
reply to post by karl 12

Picture
ow. must have hurt alot.

Great pic - I bet he swore when that happened.

(Nice tentickle avatar
)

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Recent photograph tour around Chernobyl

www.grcade.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Personally I cant believe he survived that kind of radiation since its like 500 times the lethal dose... The man is lucky to be alive, let alone still have a functioning brain.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

It actually makes sense when you think about it. Yeah, it's way higher than the lethal dose, but it's also a very coherent beam; it was absolutely lethal, but only to the cells it actually encountered on the trip through his head. In a way, that's probably good for his sake as it doesn't leave anything behind (only slightly damaged or mutated) to become cancerous later on. A bullet's wake would leave far more widespread damage. I'm curious to know if inflammation and oxidative damage from such severe cellular trauma resulted in more diffuse brain damage though.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by ngchunter]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   

The left half of Bugorski’s face swelled up beyond recognition, and over the next several days started peeling off, showing the path that the proton beam (moving near the speed of light) had burned through parts of his face, his bone, and the brain tissue underneath. As it was believed that about 500 to 600 rads is enough to kill a person, Bugorski was taken to a clinic in Moscow where the doctors could observe his expected demise. However, Bugorski survived and even completed his Ph.D..[3] There was virtually no damage to his intellectual capacity, but the fatigue of mental work increased markedly.[2] Bugroski completely lost hearing in the left ear and only a constant, unpleasant internal noise remained. The left half of his face was frozen, due to the destruction of nerves, and does not age.[1] He is able to function perfectly well, save the fact that he has occasional petit mal seizures and very occasional grand mal seizures.

www.cynical-c.com...

It seems he was able to finish a PhD with virtuaally no damage to his intellectual capability.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Symptoms of traumatic brain injury, particularly mild injury, do not always include severe intellectual deficits. The symptoms can be quite subtle and include things like seizures and altered hearing, both of which he does suffer from. In fact, seizures are more indicative of a severe TBI than a mild one. Behavioral side-effects are common as well, and fatigue from performing mental tasks is consistent with a behavioral effect of some kind.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

I do agree with all that, and true he does suffer from the effects of epilepsy and other side effects. I was just trying to point out that it seems he was able to continue living a relatively normal life afterwards. It seems that he is even still alive. He is a very lucky man. I find it a bit sad that the Russian goverment wouldnt help him out after all those years of loyal service.

Bugorski continued to work in science, and held the post of Coordinator of physics experiments.[2] Because of the Soviet Union's policy of maintaining secrecy on nuclear power-related issues, Bugorski did not speak about the accident for over a decade. He continued going to the Moscow radiation clinic twice a year, for examination, and to commune with other nuclear-accident victims. For years, he remained a poster boy for Soviet and Russian radiation medicine. In 1996, he applied unsuccessfully for disabled status, to receive his free epilepsy medication. Bugorski showed interest in making himself available for study to Western researchers, but couldn't afford to leave Protvino and go west.[1]

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 24-3-2009 by pazcat]

<< 1   >>

join