It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man gets head stuck inside particle accelerator!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
www.wired.com...

When the proton beam entered Anatoli Burgorski´s skull it measured 200,000 rads,when it exited having collided with the inside of his head,it weighed in at about 300,000 rads.
Over the next few days, skin on the back of his head and on his face just next to his left nostril peeled away to reveal the path the beam had burned through the skin, the skull, and the brain tissue. The inside of his head continued to burn away: all the nerves on the left were gone in two years, paralyzing that side of his face. Still, not only did Bugorski not die, but he remained a normally functioning human being, capable even of continuing in science.
"This is, in effect, an unintended test of proton warfare," he claims. More to the point, he believes, "I am being tested. The human capacity for survival is being tested.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.
Mod Note: Starting A New Thread – Please Review This Link

[edit on 17-10-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Im not sure wether to laugh at that or not, probably not i cant imagine it was fun and left permanent damage. The perils of science huh! Very good find .

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I worked at the facility described in the article, in mid to late 80s, and this incident was widely known in the community of physicists, so there was no secrecy in all of this.

To be able to get that close to the actual beam one has to defeat interlocks and other safety mechanisms. I do not doubt that this was the case.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Isn't this how super hero are made

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
The link had a 9 page story that I found fascinating on a couple of levels. Not only is the account of this accidental "shooting" one to remember, but the story of the science towns provides a great insight into how a nation just winds down, and yet finds ways to go on living.

Very good post.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
wow, thats pretty crazy. I wonder how thats going to effect him in a few more years.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
This was a very interesting and educational read, I highly recommend taking the time to read all the 9 pages of the feature story. Fascinating to learn about these "science towns".

And what a welcome change from the constant stream of GLF threads that seem to be popping up every five seconds. Thanks for sharing!

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
So can he climb walls now and shoot spider web? Or when he gets mad, does he turn green? Otherwise, this is total fail.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

I was hoping he turned into... "PARTICLEMAN!"

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Thanks for the replies,I to was taken with the forgotten science town pages,its a very interesting and eyeopening read.
As for poor Anatoli ,I wish him all the best and its a testament to him that he still continued his work in science after the accident which,by all accounts ,should have killed him outright (I don´t think hes going to turn superhero though
).
Cheers Karl

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
on the brighter side of this (no pun intend) science will get to learn a wealth of knowledge from this mishap.

god speed anatoli.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
...To be able to get that close to the actual beam one has to defeat interlocks and other safety mechanisms. I do not doubt that this was the case.

Don't make that dude angry. You wouldn't like him when he is angry.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Just proves you can learn all the booksmarts and be a fancy pants physicist, but not everyone can learn common sense.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azador
Just proves you can learn all the booksmarts and be a fancy pants physicist, but not everyone can learn common sense.

Aww c'mon, aren't you being a little bit hard on the guy.....
...all he did was stick his head in a proton warfare particle accelerator

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
One of the parts of the story that piqued my interest the most was the part about the ages of the different sides of his face.
From what i read it would seem that the side of his face that was exposed to the particle beam "hasn't aged in 19 years".
It would seem that inadvertantly he has stopped ageing on one side of his face.
Studies of this man could possibly reveal ways of keeping peoples skin from showing signs of age, well as long as it can be done without the nerve damage.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by full997
One of the parts of the story that piqued my interest the most was the part about the ages of the different sides of his face.
From what i read it would seem that the side of his face that was exposed to the particle beam "hasn't aged in 19 years".
It would seem that inadvertantly he has stopped ageing on one side of his face.
Studies of this man could possibly reveal ways of keeping peoples skin from showing signs of age, well as long as it can be done without the nerve damage.

Full997 Thanks for the reply,thats an interesting thought.
The 'anti ageing particle accelerator therapy' may well be the new Botox

Heres a pic of Anatoli-he doesn't look too good:
www.cynical-c.com...
Cheers Karl

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggystar60
This was a very interesting and educational read, I highly recommend taking the time to read all the 9 pages of the feature story. Fascinating to learn about these "science towns".

Theres another pretty damn interesting article on secret Russian science towns and cities -it appears one community..

...created a corona of nuclear contamination dwarfing the devastation of the Chernobyl disaster.

..but the place wasn't even acknowledged to have ever existed by the Russians for over forty years.
www.damninteresting.com...
Interesting stuff

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
What in Hell was his head doing in a Particle Accelerator in the first place?!

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Holy crap...
I feel like making a black hole joke, but I can't bring
myself any further than just mentioning it.
This is rather crazy.
I would assume his health would be studied
to see what any long term effects could or
would be. Maybe the next Desmond from LOST.
Hope this guy is ok.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Picture
ow. must have hurt alot.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join