It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asian Stocks Plunge on Credit Concern; Indonesia Halts Trading

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by dunwichwitch

Exactly. Keep your eye on who ends up gobbling up all of these assets.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I'm guessing it starts with an R and ends with a D.

Splitting the world fifty fifty with the other "R" named barons of the Western world. Talk about R&R...

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
They are still sleeping, you know.. people in America. They might wake up to a new economic reality tomorrow morning.

Russian stocks are trash, they're worse than china's.

I wonder how wall street will respond to this. You know I want to be optimistic about this and don't want to sound gloomy and doomy, but again this is pretty scary.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
the way the dow has been dropping, we won't make it out of this year.

just this week alone the dow has lost 1,383.96 points so far. that gives us 6.8 weeks until the dow reaches zero. The bailout bill according to Mr.Paulson wouldn't show any effect of slowing the fall for atleast 6 weeks. do the math, the market will be on the basement floor if not under it in 6 weeks.

There is nothing that can be done. its not a credit issue or a money issue its a trust issue. right now their is no trust even between banks. do you really think anyone can force banks to trust each other within a few weeks?

The Experts won't tell people that we have been in a recession for awhile now. why is that? they are afraid to admit that the old models are out dated and they have no way to stop the market from correcting itself. they have to let the monster loose. Every country can suspend trading in their market as much as they want. the truth is its only putting off the inevitable.

they have not learned the lessons of the past and now they will have to deal with failing to learn.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Rumor on the wire that Russian trading is halted until 10/10. I'll post a link if/when I find one.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Russia is trying to protect the price of oil. they are losing billions of dollars in revenue right now with oil trading below $100. Oil is propping up their economy if they lose their oil revenue they collapse.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2007

It would be one thing if they even appeared to be trying to calm the market. I mean, they passed the 700 billion dollar extortion act by threatening economic Armageddon if it didn't pass. Then they were all giggles and handshakes with each other, but have been silent to the people. They are just watching the economy burn and no one is even trying to calm people down.

I am so utterly disgusted at the "leadership" of this country right now..... there are no words....

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Here come the European markets. Paris down 4% on open, London FTSE down 3% and fluctuating hard, Germany down 3.5%.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Confirmation on Russia suspending MICEX until 10/10 is in.

IHT

Russian news agencies say Moscow's MICEX stock exchange, where most of Russia's trading takes place, has shut until Friday after opening with steep losses.

The MICEX index dropped more than 14 percent in the first half-hour of trading Wednesday.

The RTS exchange, whose index is widely considered the benchmark of Russia's markets, fell around 7 percent in the first 30 minutes and suspended trading for one hour, the ITAR-Tass, Interfax and RIA-Novosti agencies reported.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Relax, everyone. Market corrections happen. We are going to have a recession, and things will resort themselves, and then we will start growing again. It happens over and over and over...

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by anachryon

Wow...

That can't be good. I have been curious to see how a market reacts to that though. I will be very curious to see what happens when it opens back up. I would imagine another 10% drop right off the bat. You know people are going to be trying to get everything they can out of that market.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grumble
Relax, everyone. Market corrections happen. We are going to have a recession, and things will resort themselves, and then we will start growing again. It happens over and over and over...

and George w bush is a genuine born again christian.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

So, you are saying this is just a normal correction that happens all the time? Why are you the only one saying this?

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

i agree. It's ridiculous that they give away 700 billion to the banks and then its nothing - not a peep out of the leadership to calm the markets down. what is frustrating me even more is the whole europian banking situation. The leaders are giving statements which don't give too much comfort to the markets. Look at Iceland yesterday where the prime minister of the country goes in front of international media and blabs how bad things are - off course the stock markets are going to pick up on the negative vibe.

The worst thing is that the central banks of EU, are not taking a united stand to instill confidence into the markets. It's all about trust and confidence at the moment - but none to be found.

Talking about parity of the Aussie dollar - it seems like a thing of the past now. It's down to 67 cents now. I have to make some US dollar payments and had been putting it off till the Aussie $ goes back up into the nineties. Wish i knew then what i know now.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

your being very optomistic for someone with the name grumble... this is not merely a recession.. this is a co-ordinated collapse of the entire global economy in order to bring in the solution:

A ONE WORLD CURRENCY.. cashless.. microchipped population.. forget the Amero... thats just a rumour. Forget the Euro, that is going to collapse too. The economy is being purposely brought down and will gather momentum like a snowball effect. But we haven't experienced nothing yet... like a women having labour contractions, things will get steadily worse and worse before this new global currency is born..

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
i hear you. Bush is to busy counting his cut of the $700 billion and so is Paulson and Bernanke, they can't be bothered to try and calm the markets. but the more important question we should be asking do they really care? Bush is on his way out unless he pulls some stunt to stay in power. he's hoping that the market will make it to Jan. so he can dump it off on the next stooge.

the 'leadership' of this country is waiting until the last minute before they send in the troops for martial law to tell everyone to remain calm.

i did notice the 'This is Only a Test' emergency broadcasts a couple times tonight. usually they do it once a week late friday night.

going to have a recession, what dream world are you living in? we've been in a recession for awhile now. we're headed to depression area now!

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

Dont doubt for a second, that what is being felt around the world is unlike anything that has happened before.

fools like you said 6 months ago there would be no recession.
fools like you 3 months ago said the markets would rise dramatically after that days losses
fools like you say today that whats going on is normal, and tommorow will prove it.

Im sick of watching fools like you go on about how this is normal. it makes this website look cheap and nasty, and it makes humans look like utter idiots.

why cant some americans finally accept this government has driven the economy into the ground?
I say Americans, because it appears some in that country are the only ones left who believe this is normal and ok!

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
reply to post by Grumble

So, you are saying this is just a normal correction that happens all the time? Why are you the only one saying this?

I don't know why. Maybe it is because this is a site for doomsayers.

I sold my stocks in the Spring and put all of my 401K/IRA funds in money markets. To me it was pretty obvious that the market was ready to crash. In my opinion the only safe investment now is real estate, IF considerable care is taken to look for bargains. I am standing ready to plunge the 401K/IRA money back into stocks. I don't think we are near the bottom, however -- I think that will be a few months away.

I just don't buy the conspiracy theories about why this is happening. It looks like simple greed, stupidity, and incompetence to me.

The real danger now is to individuals. Fixed incomes will lose to inflation. Those without good job skills or secure positions may become unemployed. But that has been going on for some time already. To be effective in the modern world requires versatility and creativity, and that will simply be magnified for the next couple of years.

You have to look for the silver linings in these things. Every major economic shakeup can be seen as the revolution that so many yearn for. The key is to pay close attention and look for the opportunities it creates. Five years from now, you can be looking at all the new billionaires and wondering how they devised those brilliant plans for success when things were bad, or you can devise those plans now. It is a good time to be young.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   

going to have a recession, what dream world are you living in? we've been in a recession for awhile now. we're headed to depression area now!

Depression is meaningless term. It will be a recession of whatever severity (call it a depression if you like).

Chaos brings opportunity. You can be a victim if you like.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Depression is meaningless term. It will be a recession of whatever severity (call it a depression if you like).

you remember that when your standing in a soup line

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join