It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ten guilty of subliminal advertising

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Ten guilty of subliminal advertising

www.theaustralian.news.com.au

NETWORK Ten used subliminal advertising during the 2007 Aria Awards, but the media authority will not penalise the broadcaster.

The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) today found Network Ten guilty of breaching the Commercial Television Industry Code of Practice during the broadcast of the 2007 ARIA Music Awards on October 28.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Still don't believe in subliminal advertising?? Watch this.
Subliminal messages in music and movies. Is it really there or do I just want to hear/see it?

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Wish they had fined them. This type of activity should be the enemy of fair trade and, dare I say it, demcracy. I guess it's only a matter of time before they start trying to work advertising into tv shows and movies subliminally.

Here's a good thread on some more examples:

www.abovetopsecret.com...&colorshift=yes

www.theaustralian.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Interesting post, thanks OP.

I'm not shocked at this, but a little surprised all the same. I did advertising at university (and I'm here on ATS!) so I'm not taken aback by the idea of subliminal advertising, or the lengths advertising will go, but I'm surprised it's still used in ways like this. It's a very crude way of getting a message across, despite it's effectiveness, and of course there's the legal ramifications too. I'd have thought the likes of subtle (and not so subtle) product placement &c usurped the need for subliminal advertising as well as the general increase in explicit advertising and sponsorship generally.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I have wondered why I have had an unnatural urge to eat multiple buckets of KFC ever since I watched that on TV!

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I remember watching the ARIA awards when they did this and seeing a quick flash of Telstra up on the screen and thinking wtf.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Kryties you better watch out i might sue you
You now have me thinking about KFC for dinner mmmmm

I don't see the problem don't all the tv stations do the same thing ? It's called will power Say NO mmmm KFC must have KFC for dinner Dam!! Kryties

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by duffster

I don't see the problem don't all the tv stations do the same thing ? It's called will power Say NO mmmm KFC must have KFC for dinner Dam!! Kryties

It won't be a case of needing will power soon. Most of us won't be able to afford half the things advertised on television and half the companies that advertise will go under anyway.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   
here is a vid if your interested

www.youtube.com...

olay can be seen during the switch to different scenes

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
i missed the story on media watch last year, so this is news to me..
..just another reason to hate rove..

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I despise Ten normally because they have really crappy timing and have nearly driven me to torrent with their [insert reality show here] episodes running 45 minutes past schedule.

They need to bring back lynch mobs.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:37 AM
link   
If they have to advertise I much prefer product placements because at least you know what they are doing. I always make it a point not to buy that product then.
Ten should have been fined for this so they dont do it again. Now Im sure they are thinking, "cool slap on the wrist lets do it again".

Just another reason not to watch too much tv.

[edit on 9-10-2008 by leearco]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by leearco
If they have to advertise I much prefer product placements because at least you know what they are doing.

I'm not so sure. If the hero figure takes a break from the patriot action and puts down his terrorist-killing weapon for a 'long, cool, thirst-slaking drink of Generia; brewed longer for your satisfaction', then maybe. Other times, it's a bit more subtle than that and whilst everyone picks-up on subconsciously, only some register it at a conscious level.

[edit on 9-10-2008 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I know binaural wave influence has been discussed here, but i know they have used sub-subliminal programming in movies and pop-culture media since the 50s or even before, its about repetition of an idea. syncromysticism cites this programming technique as syncs. What i believe though is that this was the earlier programming done, until they got higher technology.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
True, sometimes its less obvious. But as soon as it flashes to a logo on a product, it should be quite obvious.
Maybe there will one day be warnings with the content warning
"This film is classified PP, for product placements".

new topics

top topics

join