It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maryland Police Put Activists Names On Terror Lists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   

The Maryland State Police classified 53 nonviolent activists as terrorists and entered their names and personal information into state and federal databases that track terrorism suspects, the state police chief acknowledged yesterday.

Full article here

www.washingtonpost.com...

[edit on 7-10-2008 by Trustnoone1987]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   

"I don't believe the First Amendment is any guarantee to those who wish to disrupt the government,"

We've known for a while the Government was abusing the "Terror Watchlist," but this is more proof. It's scary to think that this article was only referring to Maryland. What about all of the other states? I guess some think the 1st amendment only applies to some.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
That's just ridiculous. I'm sure adding them to that list grants certain powers over those people like phonetapping and whatnot.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   

...the surveillance operation, which targeted opponents of the death penalty...

wow... if you are against the killing of another human being, you are a terrorist.. and if you "WISH to disrupt the [current] government" then the first amendment is no gaurantee...
this guy is out of control. i bet he's a blast at parties, too..

[edit on 7-10-2008 by kidney thief]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Yes, but folks who believe we are living in a proto-fascist police state are just paranoid tinfoil hat types.

The check is in the mail, it's only a cold sore, and we are with the government, we are here to help.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by kidney thief

Those was my thoughts too. Although I might agree some protesters take it a little far, it's no reason to disregard their constitutional rights.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Trustnoone1987

Maryland State Police Superintendent Terrence B. Sheridan said the department is sending letters to activists, inviting them to review their files.

Gotcha! Then it's off to Guantanamo bay.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by mecheng

1 way ticket for us WOOHOO!!! I hope the got tshirts for us to wear...

ya I was going to mention:

"I don't believe the First Amendment is any guarantee to those who wish to disrupt the government," he said. Hutchins said he did not notify Ehrlich about the surveillance. Ehrlich spokesman Henry Fawell said the governor had no comment.

People read this and think its ok not to question government...

I wonder what was said about our 2nd amendment again......

Ohh ya... thats right.. the only reason is is there is for when they try to take it... thats right...........

Anyway its people like this who need to be in jail.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
ffs, did anyone, including the OP, read the link to the full story.

Police Superintendent Terrence B. Sheridan revealed at a legislative hearing that the surveillance operation, which targeted opponents of the death penalty and the Iraq war, was far more extensive than was known when its existence was disclosed in July.

*snip*

"The names don't belong in there," he told the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee. "It's as simple as that."

and

"I can't imagine getting a letter that says, 'You've been classified as a terrorist; come in and we'll tell about it,'" said Sen. Bryan W. Simonaire (R-Anne Arundel). Two senators noted that they had been arrested years ago for civil disobedience. Sen. Jennie Forehand (D-Montgomery) asked Sheridan, "Do you have any legislators on your list?" The answer was no.

it's good that these abuses are noted, but by spinning them to suit your own agenda you are just promoting the ignorance that is at the heart of the difficulties we face, your not a whole lot better than the people who carry out these abuses. worse in fact, you have no reason to do so other than self agrandisment. grow up OP. this isn't the entire government abusing the system, it's one lazy assed police department and it is being dealt with openly by the government your condemning.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Yes I read the article. Why were those names on a terrorist list in the first place? Why did the old police chief feel people who "disrupt" the government aren't allowed the same protection the Constitution gives everyone? It scares the hell outta me.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

... intelligence logs released by the ACLU, which described a "primary crime" of "terrorism-anti-government" and a "secondary crime" of "terrorism-anti-war protesters."

Sheridan said that he did not think the names were circulated to other agencies in the federal system and that they are not on the federal government's terrorist watch list. Hutchins said some names might have been shared with the National Security Agency

Oh... but its ok as long as they try and clean it up. Good luck. Once your name is on a "list" you'll never know for suer that they took it off.

[edit on 8-10-2008 by mecheng]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
i'm not saying that it was right that anyone was listed, i'm saying the OP and others were wrong to paint it as the whole government in on the plot to add protesters to the terrorist watch lists.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

i bet you wouldn't be saying that if you were one of those activists. to them, it will seem like the whole government is classifying them as terrorists.
and what makes you think other states aren't doing the same thing? this scenario in maryland wasn't brought to light until well after the surveilance began.

EDIT: and, the "whole government" doesnt have to be in on it for it to happen.

[edit on 8-10-2008 by kidney thief]

top topics

join