It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My own Country

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2003 @ 11:32 PM
link   
This one has been bothering me for a while. How is a part of a country can declare itself a seperate republic or the like? Litteraly removing yourself from the government and monatary system ,etc. Such as the "Quebec vs Canada" referandum. What is stopping me from buying a certain chunk of land and declaring myself the independant state/ province/ country of DONKLAND or something. id like to hear some informed feedback

posted on Jan, 14 2003 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Nothing stops you but the law//army.

You don't even need to buy the land.

Just say that your house and yard is your own soveriegn nation and that you can tax anyone who is on it (cable companies and such that run their cables through your property) and that you can shoot down any plane in your airspace....that sort of thing.

You can declare whatever you want, but then an army will surround you like in waco...

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Jan, 15 2003 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Hmm... I'd look up micronationalism if I were you.

Check out this site for starter's... www.micro-nations.org
(I think that's right...)

There are well over 100 different micronation's in existance right now. A few of them have long term plan's and have existed well over 20 year's or more now. Some are for fun, some are political excersise's, and then you have your serious one's. Depending on how far you wanna go into it, you can be a part of either one.

posted on Jan, 16 2003 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Well i checked out that site plus the LoSS (League of Secessionist States) site and the LMS (League of Monarchist States) site.
Okay, the only thing i can think of is this:
1> i am not some star wars geek sitting in my mothers basement. it struck me as a community of nerds and hopefull future mars dwellers.
2> im interested in possible tax implications (implications not fraud).
3> i would like to begin a seperate, for lack of better terms "state" where my government ends at my property line and no government has jurisdiction over me and my seperate "state"
4>im most interested in the legalities of seperatism (sp?)
5>what are my rights as a seperate state.

and so on.

if you have links, information or know of some serious seperate states please post them or tell me what you know.

thanks.

posted on Jan, 16 2003 @ 03:25 AM
link   
#3 will pretty much end you up in prison, or dead, and there really are no provisions for legal proceedures in secession, you pretty much just say it and see how if you can win or not

Which if the south couldn't seceed from the union, I doubt YOU can seceed from canada or where ever you are.

micronationalsim is for starwars nerds and dorks...they sit in their own little world and pretend to have power, when in reality they only have power over people who consent, if anyone gets disgruntled and wants to leave, there's nothing any micronation can do about it, because usually the course of action is violence and the Real Government would move in and arrest them.

Real authority comes from being able to enforce order in an area....contrary to utopian nerds or people who think freedom means the government can't tell you what to do...it is the job of the government, to keep the person down the street from killing you.

I think micronations are retarded...they only work because they don't tell people in that nation, to pay taxes...as soon as you order taxes to be paid, they'll begin to see a decline in people...in a sense a government is a SUPER large fraternity...you pay your dues, stay a free citizen, and in turn the fraternity builds stuff that benifits it...

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 01:02 AM
link   
k, well u should read some international law. Its my job so hell i guess ill just explain; for an entity 2 b considered a sovereign state it must
be able to hold self-monopoly on use of force to control and maintain the people. i.e. it must have a police force.
It must be capable of protecting its own soveregnty from outside influence. i.e it must have its own standing and registered army.
All relevant documents regarding international relationships must be recorded. i.e. there must be a public records system.
The Law must be formalised, i.e. there must be a constitution and courts.
It must also have its own parliamentary or governmental system.

not very simple, but they are violating un charters by sending troops to quell u if u comply to the statehood regulations...

and u'd need at least 1000 citizens

new topics

top topics

join