It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A couple of questions regarding planetary status

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Firstly, i know its a really old topic about Pluto not being a planet anymore, but i was thinking about it recently.

Firstly, im aware that pluto along with eris, etc. are considered dwarf planets, so its not like theyre totally lost from our respect. But does everyone agree with the definition of a planet? I heard soem scientists want Pluto to be a planet, and some other scientists are talking about demoting Earth. (although im not sure how true that may be) I think, in my own opinion, if it orbits a sun, and has a satellite, its a planet. Granted, this would erase mercury and venus from the planet chart, but i think with so many different levels of planets, there will be no planets in the future, all will be a sub division, jupiter? thats not a planet, its a gaseous planetoid. stuff like that.

Anyways, im sure there were posts like this a few years ago, but im just wondering no what everyone else thinks.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Personally, I don't care what they call it. Pluto is Pluto. The issue becomes a problem when my kids have to learn about it in school. What is the correct answer? What the teacher expects on the test, no matter what the current scientific community thinks of it.

There is an interesting write up on wikipedia here: en.wikipedia.org...

It is far from being a uniform agreement.

new topics

join