It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush said... "go out and shop"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
He shoulda told everyone to go out to the movies! Anyone else remember the theatres were dead for at least 2-3 months after. Plus 9/11 totally overshadowed the launch of the much treasured iPod, which I will never buy.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
The markets were tanking for no reason and people were in panic mode. The already bad situation would have been made worse by people hording and failing to go to work or continue as normal. It would have also meant the Terrorists had accomplished what they intended, which was disrupting our lives through needless fear. At the time, both the Right and the Left lauded him for saying that.

Obama won. Bush is over. It is probably time to stop spending everyday looking for fault with Bush and start in on Obama.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Gateway

good samaritans is an over-statement.
persons - selected elite - that took Fuld off;
together with WAMU, AIG and others, is
nothing short of naked short terrorists.
the jury is still out, out of what territories
these coordinated attacks came but my
opinion is that no matter how smooth
Soros or Paulson (the hedgie) appear
on their testimonies to Congress, many
will not buy that, even if what they say
today is factually a truth. those who
pulled the trigger need to be found and
put to justice together with SEC elite
who enabled this debacle...

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I really thought that Bush had said "go out and shop" and also recommended traveling to America's great vacation destinations.
People had stopped spending in the gloom following 9/11. The airlines needed helping as their business had tanked and they were being bailed out. Tourism was down. Consumer spending was depressed.
Basically Bush was into stimulating the economy by exhorting the population to go out and spend.
The Republican position in 2009, now that they have just lost, is that everyone is cutting back - look at California, and that lower consumer spending is reasonable and a Government stimulus is outrageous.
The Republican response to the recession that the Democrats are facing is 180 degrees opposite to how they tried to deal with the recession they faced following 9/11.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by simon_alex0327

Does anyone have the precise and complete quotation of the famous shop-until-you-drop notion that President Bush made, and the date and place it was made? I need to be able to give the exact citation in something I am writing. Many thanks.

Howard

top topics

<< 1   >>

join