It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush said... "go out and shop"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I have just been watching the Presidential Debate, and one thing that Obama mentioned concerning 9/11 really made me take notice. He said that after 9/11 Bush had told the people to go out and shop!
I looked at my wife somewhat amazed and decided to do some research as to if he had actually said this as we had both had never heard mention of this before. ( My wife is American, Im British, currently living in the USA but we were living in the Uk at the time of 9/11 )

Seems that he did in fact say this, and it has repercussions for the crisis that exists on the financial markets.
I found an excellent article in The Washington Post, that brings together these two incidents and even mentions that he also told everyone "go to Disneyland".

Click Here For Link

But he simultaneously urged Americans to carry on as if there were no war. "Get down to Disney World in Florida," he urged just over two weeks after 9/11. "Take your families and enjoy life, the way we want it to be enjoyed."

That is again painfully true today. The 2008 election finds the Pentagon cupboard bare, the U.S. Treasury depleted, the economy in disarray and the average American household feeling acute distress. Profligacy at home and profligacy abroad have combined to produce a grave crisis. This time around, telling Americans to head for Disney World won't work. The credit card's already maxed out, and the banks are refusing to pony up for new loans.

Is this something that everyone is aware of, or just something that I have missed before?? I had never heard this before and am surprised with the link to 9/11 and the present crisis.

I look forward to your responses, and sure hope that I have posted it in the correct forum.
Thank you.

[edit on 7-10-2008 by simon_alex0327]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I remember that.
Everyone was told to shore up our losses by spending and the EPA told everyone it was safe to go back to work near where the towers fell.

[edit on 8-10-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Yes I remember that too .
I was like DO WHAT >>.lol ....of course I shop anyway so he wasnt telling me to do anything new ...lol ...

Oh yeah it was also the year that a company contacted me by phone and convinced me I needed to merge my credit cards together to get some interests lowered ...he talked me into getting a Discover card with 0 % interest ..they also raised the amount for me to go further into debt ..my other cards also increased my spending ..LOL >.so now a few years later I am more than just a few dollars in debt but WAY MORE ..and it cost me 900 dollars to do that (Thats what that company charged me to HELP me go deeper in debt) ,,yeah I was a sucker ...

[edit on 7-10-2008 by Simplynoone]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by simon_alex0327

Actually it wasn't Bush or anything he said which caused the borrowing which led to this mess. Our mess came from the FED, when they lowered the rates back to an unprecedented 1% in 2002. What else should people do when faced with manipulated irrational interest rates, but borrow or re-finance.

No...as stupid as Bush is, his stupidity is only surpassed by that of Greenspan, who has now conveniently vanished off the face of the earth and has left the rest of us to pick-up the pieces.

[edit on 7-10-2008 by Gateway]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I have a question...

The "stimulus" package that was done earlier in the year in the US - isn't that the same sort of thing that Bush said after 9/11?

I haven't heard anyone mention the stimulus package in the media since this panic set in.

...uh so, did it work or no...

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

matt,

Just wait till next year, when we will be expected to payback the so-called stimulus in taxes. We are being royally screwed here...Government says, "here take a few hundred, but we will need several hundred billions from you...oh...an..uh remember to payback those few hundred next year!!"

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Gateway

Actually it wasn't Bush or anything he said which caused the borrowing which led to this mess. Our mess came from the FED, when they lowered the rates back to an unprecedented 1% in 2002. What else should people do when faced with manipulated irrational interest rates, but borrow or re-finance.

No...as stupid as Bush is, his stupidity is only surpassed by that of Greenspan, who has now conveniently vanished off the face of the earth and has left the rest of us to pick-up the pieces.

Thank you for pointing that out. It seems people have had the wool pulled over their eyes pointing fingers in all directions except for the one where the problem actually originated.

But regardless of the mistakes made in the past at least on the positive side of this debacle is that people are going to make smarter decisions with their money.

[edit on 7-10-2008 by Cool Hand Luke]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Ah yes, our all powerful leader and his infinite wisdom. George W. has got to be the dumbest President ever in our history.

I really don't understand how George graduated from college, let alone became President.....oh that's right, I'm sure Daddy took care of that too.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

I thought of the stimulus package also as a comparison. The media here were telling you what HD Tv's to buy to best stimulate the economy! Why wouldnt you put it towards your existing debt?? All wrong... that coupled with the amazing philosophy... to get cerdit you need credit.
These things have been brewing in the US for far too long and all gone unabated.
Its about time people realised that having credit is not something to boast about.
Average credit card debt running at $8000 !
Source

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Cool Hand Luke

No problem,

What I'm hoping to hear is that someone finally coldcocked Greenspan at the gym or at his synagogue...like the good samaritan that took it upon himself to take out Lehman Brother's CEO.

Yes, it wont stop this recession/depression but it will MAKE ME FEEL a little better.

[edit on 7-10-2008 by Gateway]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Well, Bush sure didn't say "go out and shop". Gross oversimplification by Obama and used in the wrong context I think.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I remember being more than shocked by that remark to go out and shop.

I was still ticked off by the email I had received on September 10th labeled "Something's coming, something big" - the trader that wrote it then went on to say that the SAME trading that had occurred prior to the 1993 Twin towers bombing was once again happening and that certain investments were very likely to be profitable. I ignored that email that day and I lost a friend because of that coordinated destruction.

Follow the money for the REAL story. Money IS the connection.

Eventually, I believe there were some investigations and trading did take place before the incident but most of those involved had excuses for their trades. If you dig deep into all the aspects of the money trail concerning this - the rabbit hole goes very deep and into some very strange places - like Belgium, Pakistan, relatives of a former Intelligence head, profitable "insurance" arrangements and certain "banking" groups.

And Yes, there is a thin trail that links the present crisis to the events that occurred surrounding (before, during and after) what really occurred on September 11th.

Watch the next few months as certain "financial" consolidations take place prior to Feb 09. From what I can gather that month will be a pivotal time to keep an eye on for clues to some of the answers concerning the depth and real dangers of the current crisis.

Such egocentric foolishness is why there's a global meltdown.

I can only hope the balance shifts in favor of an honorable and fair outcome.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by YourForever

No, Bush said for us to go down to Disney World. That's much more effective since Disney World is such a vital part of our economy.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I just found another article where Hilary Clinton in 2007 also referenced Bush's speech about shopping.

Source

"What were we asked to do? Go shopping," she said. "I think America is ready to be asked to do something besides 'go shopping.'

Lets hope everyone is out today doing their part for the economy!

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Regarding the stimulus checks.

I am STILL hearing things from the President, about "people still spending their stimulus money", and "let's wait and see how the stimulus money helps"....

WHAT?

Is he really that out of touch, or just playing dumb? those stimulus checks, were long gone within a week of getting them in the mail or deposited into bank accounts!

And, for anyone not in the U.S..... yes, they absolutely did tell us, to take our stimulus money....go spend it, go on a vacation.... jumpstart the economy! Pffft...

I know ours went to gas, groceries, and BILLS.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Not to vouch for Bush but I think that was taken out of context--sounds like he was garbling a "Don't let them scare you out of living your life" message.

And BTW BOy George, I haven't even gotten my check yet.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I remember that too, he was telling us to carry on with our normal lives following the most traumatic event of our lifetime.

He meant "shop" to keep the economy going.

I'm surprised this just now came up.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by mattguy404
I have a question...

The "stimulus" package that was done earlier in the year in the US - isn't that the same sort of thing that Bush said after 9/11?

I haven't heard anyone mention the stimulus package in the media since this panic set in.

...uh so, did it work or no...

uhm does it look like it worked? I got the money, paid some bills, still in debt, was not "stimulating" enough obviously. I WANNA BAILOUT PWEEZE!

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Americans shopping is a good thing for the economy. Americans shopping is not what caused this economic crisis.

Now for Obama making a speech bringing up this quote is a good idea. Because most people really don't understand and Bush did say it so it must be bad.

As for Bush, good job. Americans shopping is what keeps the economy going. Company's get money and a growing company needs to hire more workers which means more people will have money.

What is not said here is that Bush didn't say go shopping with what you don't have. He didn't say get a loan from the bank and buy a new boat.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Can anybody find the video where he says: Take your family to Disneyland?

Translation:

GO BACK TO SLEEP!!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join