It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you don't pay taxes should you be allowed to vote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Serious discussion here folks. If someone dose'nt pay taxes should they have the right to vote for the people and policys that tax paying people of this country will ultimatley have to foot the bill for? Better yet can you really even be considerd a citizen of this country if you don't support it financially since paying taxes is part of the social contract we make?

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by WisdomInChains

Can you show me in the Constitution.. in Enlightenment Ideology.. in the Definition of Democracy ...

Where it says "to vote you must first pay"...

No. Didn't think so.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Poll taxes are unconstitutional and were removed about the same time as the other Jim Crow laws.

But when 80%-90% of the population calls on their representative to oh, I don't know, actually represent their voice on a major issue and Congress says "Forget* you, peons", does paying taxes or not have any real effect on the elected's actions?

*the actual word was not "forget", but it helps the reader know what the actual word was by the magic of alliteration.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
[m

Everyone pays taxes. You pay when you buy toilet paper, clothing, drivers license, beer. You pay when you have job. You pay when you don't have job.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I have a few questions for you:

If you are completely politically ignorant and only get your opinions verbatim from a few, radical sources, should you be allowed to vote?

If you don't know the meaning of, let alone have the ability to use, critical thinking, should you be allowed to vote?

If you feel that every FACT is only a matter of opinion, should you be allowed to vote?

If you think that trickle down economics actually works, despite the fact that it has been PROVEN wrong time and time again, should you be allowed to vote?

If you were one of the people who voted for Bush in 2004, the worst president in American history, should you EVER be allowed to vote again?

It is people like you who used to think, and probably still do think, that only land owners should have the right to vote.....That only WHITE people should have the right to vote....That only MEN should have the right to vote.

You make me sick!!!!! Talk about un-American, un-patriotic, un-constitutional. You sir, or madam, don't deserve, and I think our founding fathers would agree, to call yourself an American.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
well, we ALL pay taxes.........even the non Americans who buy things in this country.....the food and gas tax..almost ALL goods and services are taxed.

I would not have posted this at all if I had SEEN ohiorivers post right above me.....

[edit on 7-10-2008 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Didn't people vote, before illegal income taxes were introduced?
So then how is it relevant?

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Once you subjugate a portion of population from participating in democracy, there's the danger of taking the express train to fascism.

158,000 Americans lost their job last month, I think they might like to have a vote and they fully deserve to.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
i dont think someone who hasnt payed income taxes there intire life should have a say in who the leader of the country is if said leader raises taxes there not going to be the ones paying for it

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I have a few questions for you:

If you only get your political opinions from one or two radical sources, should you be allowed to vote?

If you think all FACTS are just a matter of opinion, should you be allowed to vote?

If you have an inability to use your god given critical thinking skills and instead develop all of your ideas by taking what you hear on one or two propaganda driven radio or television shows, should you be allowed to vote?

If, in 2004, you voted for the worst president in American history, should you EVER be allowed to vote again?

People who think like you make me sick. You, and others like you, used to think, and may still think, that only landowners should have the right to vote...That only white people should have the right to vote...That only men should have the right to vote. I am sure our founding fathers would agree with me in saying that you go against everything they fought to create. You sir, or madam, don't deserve to call yourself an American.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
what are you blabbering about did ever once bring up sex or race i dont think people who are to lazy to work should be able to make decision that ultimatley will fall on the backs of those who do work

you tell me exactly what i stand against or what are forefathers would think since you seem to have it all figured out i dont deserve to call myself an american whatever buddy u come off like a pissed off school girl

[edit on 9-10-2008 by WisdomInChains]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Question....

Who, in your mind, pays NO taxes, at all, of any kind, in this country?

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   

"You don' t pay taxes - they take taxes."- Chris Rock.

And as others have said...everything is taxed (almost) so you constantly "pay taxes"

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
i was referring to income tax

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Well, here's the deal.

The people that get elected don't get elected to JUST represent and govern those that DO pay taxes. They get elected to represent and govern all in their district, their state, and/or their country.

They may do a pi$$ poor job if it, but that's how the Constitution is written. Unless it is changed, I don't see how any of the voting eligibility will be changed.....unless it is illegally, of course. And, that's happening right now.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Ok, so if you are saying that people who dont pay income tax should not be allowed to vote, I guess that means that military personnel in combat zones should not be allowed to vote?

usmilitary.about.com...

Being assigned or deployed to a combat zone also triggers a tax advantage in some locations. Congress and/or the President can designated combat zones as "Tax Exempt" areas. Earnings received while in these combats zone are excluded from taxable income. (NOTE: This only applies to Federal Income Tax Withholding (FITW).

I think you should think about the sorts of people that would be punished undeservedly by such a law. Not everyone who is currently not paying income tax is a deadbeat. There are lots of ways that can occur.

Edit; to add the link to my source.

[edit on 9-10-2008 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
alright fair enough but do you think those said deadbeats should get to vote

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by WisdomInChains
alright fair enough but do you think those said deadbeats should get to vote

Yes. I do. I think every legal American citizen should have the right to vote.

And, I wouldnt worry too much about the people who you think are deadbeats. Most of the time, the people who truly have no motivation choose not to vote all on their own. So there is no need to make a law to prevent it.

Edit; spelling

[edit on 9-10-2008 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

we are not a democracy we are a republic our founding fathers all were afraid of democracies

top topics

join