It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop pushing your religion on me

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Ahem:

Anno Domini [1] (Medieval Latin: In the year of (the/Our) Lord), abbreviated as AD or A.D., is a designation used to number years in the Julian and Gregorian calendars. More fully, years may be also specified as Anno Domini Nostri Iesu (Jesu) Christi ("In the Year of Our Lord Jesus Christ").

The calendar era which it numbers is based on the traditionally reckoned year of the conception or birth of Jesus. Before Christ, abbreviated as BC or B.C., is used in the English language to denote years before the start of this epoch.

en.wikipedia.org...

That's a freebie kid.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by riley
I wonder how these sidewalk preachers would react if pagans handed out spells at christian schools? I doubt they'd accept the free speech excuse.

So you think the preachers at christian schools will be okay with them doing that? Will they just sit back and watch, acknowledging their rights to freedom of speech?

I addressed that quote already. Please browse the thread before posting again, I'm done responding to the exact same arguments.

Or are you spamming for points?

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Spamming for points? What the heck are you talking about?
Okay I went back and reread your posts. So I guess you did address the freedom of speech.
I guess all the OP can do is just ignore these people or perhaps tell the other students the dangers of Christianity. After all, it is his right to speak out against Christianity in front of those Christians who hand out the CDs.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien

Spamming for points? What the heck are you talking about?
Okay I went back and reread your posts. So I guess you did address the freedom of speech.
I guess all the OP can do is just ignore these people or perhaps tell the other students the dangers of Christianity. After all, it is his right to speak out against Christianity in front of those Christians who hand out the CDs.

"Spamming for points" meant are you purposely posting to ask me questions I have already answered just to get more points.

And the OP can say whatever he wants to them, although based on his ignorance of many things, (His nation's Charter, the definition of "A.D.") I wouldn't suggest debating these Christians, well at least not in front of any girls he's interested in.

These Christians have freedom of speech, and if they are on school property and have been asked to leave then it's trespassing. The OP has freedom of speech too, he can stand there and state his beliefs too. I wonder if the OP has made up his mind yet if they were on school property or not?

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   

"Spamming for points" meant are you purposely posting to ask me questions I have already answered just to get more points.

Okay, I didn't mean to do that. I apologize.

And the OP can say whatever he wants to them, although based on his ignorance of many things, (His nation's Charter, the definition of "A.D.") I wouldn't suggest debating these Christians, well at least not in front of any girls he's interested in.

LOL.

These Christians have freedom of speech, and if they are on school property and have been asked to leave then it's trespassing. The OP has freedom of speech too, he can stand there and state his beliefs too. I wonder if the OP has made up his mind yet if they were on school property or not?

Right. If they are trespassing on school property or try to block students' access to buses, then they have broken the law.

To OP, how often do they do this?

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
three times in the last week, they were kicked out of town for disrupting the peace, and about that amendment, i never said there was one YOU said there was one, and said i should look for it, i never said there is a problem with freedom of speech, but when this guy almost makes me miss my bus and almost makes me walk THREE HOURS home, then i have a problem, i don't care if your Christian Jewish, or Jehovah witness, you seem to have missed the point here, I'm not angry at the point that they were preaching so much as I'm angry that people had to walk home, or get a ride because these people were to thickheaded to get out of the way.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by outrider
three times in the last week, they were kicked out of town for disrupting the peace.

Hearsay.

and about that amendment, i never said there was one YOU said there was one, and said i should look for it,

Don't lie kid, I posted what your own nation's Charter for Rights and Freedoms had to say. And you responded with this:

"guess what, it has been proven that it IS ILLEGAL to try to push your religion on people near a school"

In order for Freedom of Speech to be "proven" to be illegal to use near a School there would have to be an AMENDMENT to your Charter. That's the ONLY way your Charter's rights and freedoms can be taken away. You claim there is "proof", I have asked you to provide said "proof". (Which you refuse to do.)

Have you yet decided if these people were on school property or not? First you said they were not, then you said they were not.

[edit on 8-10-2008 by NOTurTypical]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by outrider

Can you give us a link to the news source if they have one of the event, maybe? Im interested and at least it will satisfy NOTurTypical

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
nope, no news link, and i must rephrase something, they weren't "kicked" out of town so much as they were told (by a number of people) that they were not wanted there.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
They sound like fanatics. Those are the type without modesty who like to try and force people to do stuff, in actuality they are pushing souls further away from God.

You ( if they block you ) you run over their ass, or walk right through them.

Religion is to be taught on different terms and times and they have no right to block you from cathing the bus.

I will pray for their souls that hopefully they find some sanity soon.

God bless you kid.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by outrider
nope, no news link,

So it's hearsay. Thanks for admitting that much.

and i must rephrase something, they weren't "kicked" out of town so much as they were told (by a number of people) that they were not wanted there.

I suggest buying tissues, they are guaranteed to freedom to believe what they want, to state their opinions, and that is freedom of speech. If you don't like what they have to say, then debate them.

You cannot deny someone the right to speak freely.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruth

You ( if they block you ) you run over their ass, or walk right through them.

Do you realize you are encouraging this kid to commit assault?

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth
They sound like fanatics. Those are the type without modesty who like to try and force people to do stuff, in actuality they are pushing souls further away from God.

I don't know exactly how the Christians were going about spreading the word but it sounds like they had a couple signs and were offering a DVD to those that chose to take one. Not sure how that would push people away from God....but I do know what would (quote below).

Originally posted by JesusisTruth
*snip* You ( if they block you ) run over their ass... *snip*

How can you damn someone for trying to share the word in a way you don't support and promote the above? You say they "push souls further away from God" which I agree can happen in some cases but you finish with the suggestion that you should "run over their ass" as some sort of solution. Did you even read what you wrote? How does running their ass over bring people closer to God? Don't you think words like that coming from a follower of God will turn more people away from God than the passing out of some DVD's about salvation?

I think you are a Catholic so is your comment just being flippant or it it just a way of showing your disdain for protestants? These are honest questions, I would really like to know how you justify what you wrote. Do you feel the same way about Roman Catholic missionaries?

Some of the responses in this thread are really shocking to me.

[edit on 10/8/2008 by kinglizard]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I apologize. No it has nothing to do with protestants.

The way the kid described it as if the people were blocking him from getting to the bus. That;s wrong. I'm not advocating assualt. I'm saying you push through them.

that was a mistake by me with my choice of words.

kid don't run over them. Just run around them. And I agree that they probably did that out of their heart.

God I need confession now.

sorry guys.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
I think you are a Catholic so is your comment just being flippant or it it just a way of showing your disdain for protestants? These are honest questions, I would really like to know how you justify what you wrote. Do you feel the same way about Roman Catholic missionaries?

Some of the responses in this thread are really shocking to me.

What did I miss here? Where was it stated that they were Protestants? How do you know that they weren't Catholic missionaries?

And I realize that this isn't very Christian of me, but if they were purposefully impeding my progress to means of transportation, I would walk through them. I'd feel guilty, but not much.

BTW, if they are acting to stop students from getting on the bus until they take a cd or listen to a mini-sermon, that may very well qualify as illegal detainment and be against the law.

Eric

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruth

Thanks for the clarification JesusisTruth. No worries bud...I know I've probably said worse on the board in a passionate moment.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by riley

The freedom of speech is an "excuse" to you?

Why yes it is!
A sane, rational person would not lie in wait outside schools for other people's children in order to accost them into joining their religion. Free speech or not thats just really creepy.

And you're wrong, all people, *gasp*, even pagans, are entitled to free speech as well.

..yet I have never heared of them laying in wait outside schools in order to convert/bully other people's children. Maybe they just respect other people's right to have their own beliefs? Free will is not just a christian concept.

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

I'm an aussie and I didn't ask about the right to free speech but the ethics of trying to impose religion on other people's children by preaching outside schools.

Personally I think it's a creepy thing to do.

"Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven."

Jesus Christ - 30 A.D.

I'm just wondering.. did you think ignoring my point and quoting the bible at me would make all this seem less creepy?

[edit on 8-10-2008 by riley]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by riley

'm just wondering.. did you think ignoring my point and quoting the bible at me would make all this seem less creepy?

I know you didn't ask this question of me, but I want to quote something from the Bible:
Luke 10:7 And in the same house remain, eating and drinking such things as they give: for the labourer is worthy of his hire. Go not from house to house.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by PreTribGuy

wow.. thats actually very apt. Glad to know know not all christians condone this kind of behaviour.

I was also raised christian so have a hard time believing Jesus would waste time handing out propoganda outside schools. Talk is cheap and I'm sure there are plenty of street kids that would benefit from some christian compassion.. doesn't take much to burn CDs.

[edit on 8-10-2008 by riley]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
to tell the truth, if it wasn't for people going from door to door, or advertising religion, i would probably be a Christian, but because religion has been perverted by the media, nope, i want no part of ANY religion.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join