It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop pushing your religion on me

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by outrider
reply to post by NOTurTypical

well, this is getting a little out of control, they are NOT on the opposite side of the sidewalk, they keep coming at the time school gets out, and stand there saying they will get out of the way when we take the CD.

Why did you state this?:

"the thing is, he cant be arrested, because he "technically" isn't on school property, he is on the sidewalk"

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   

fine then, i guess im going to block the way to your car the next time you try, see how you like it

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   

fine then, i guess im going to block the way to your car the next time you try, see how you like it

You didn't respond to what I said or posted.

You also haven't showed us proof that there is an amendment forbidding freedom of speech on school property.

and you haven't addressed why you originally stated that these Christians were not on school property.

Address these points.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by riley

about the ethics of christians preaching near schools.

Christians can share their faith anywhere they want to, so can Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, et cetra.

This isn't China yet, we still have a Bill of Rights.

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Last time I checked, (just now), the Bill of Rights is still in effect.

I'm an aussie and I didn't ask about the right to free speech but the ethics of trying to impose religion on other people's children by preaching outside schools.

Personally I think it's a creepy thing to do.

[edit on 8-10-2008 by riley]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by riley

Your certainly not wrong there, it's a pretty creepy thing to to IMO... Im a christian and Im saying that lol. I mean..... these guys have every right to stand out side the school and try hand things out, but not too much can be done unless they start causing trouble aside from the typical outrage from parents and students who also think its creepy.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by outrider

hello Outrider

no one can be forced to accept Christ by another Christian

as a Christian we are told to spread the Gospel around the world. If you turn on the TV you will see advertisments for everything, its not being forced down you throat, just offered.

Try to see it as the same. I am sure you have strong feelings about certain issues and would like to continue to offer an opinion on them??

disagreement will always happen. You do not agree with someone outside school but another may welcome it. no matter what the subject.

perosnally, I would tell them politely how they make you feel when approached in that manner.

david

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by funky monk
reply to post by riley

Your certainly not wrong there, it's a pretty creepy thing to to IMO... Im a christian and Im saying that lol.

I don't think it's christianity that is the problem but people using it to dominate or impose their will on others. The creepy part is not that they are "spreading the word" but they don't seem to have any respect for basic social boundaries. Approaching other people's kids is just asking for trouble.. reminds me of those loonies protesting at funerals.

I mean..... these guys have every right to stand out side the school and try hand things out, but not too much can be done unless they start causing trouble aside from the typical outrage from parents and students who also think its creepy.

I wonder how these sidewalk preachers would react if pagans handed out spells at christian schools? I doubt they'd accept the free speech excuse.

[edit on 8-10-2008 by riley]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I suggest you carry a sign saying, "I Worship the Devil". When you approach the area, pull it out and attach it to your shirt with a safety pin. Maybe you can make up a "prop" CD with a scary picture of Satan and "push" it on them. Do an Internet search and find some Satan-worship prayers and recite them while the rude people are within hearing distance. Try to "sell" your savior to them.

That's what I would do.

Accept the CD and then smash it on the ground right in front of them. And then ask for another.

Or, you could tell them that if they don't leave you alone, you're going to report that they tried to "touch" you in an inappropriate manner. No one likes child molesters hanging around schools. I am not suggesting that you actually report that, but yelling, "Stop touching me"!!! might get the message across.

Alternatively, you could report it to a school official. If what they're doing is illegal, it should get some attention.

Remember, you may not legally be able to stop these people from bugging you, but you can make their intrusion into your space unpleasant by using similar tactics.

I sympathize with you. And hope you come up with a creative and effective solution.

[edit on 8-10-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I'm an aussie and I didn't ask about the right to free speech but the ethics of trying to impose religion on other people's children by preaching outside schools.

Personally I think it's a creepy thing to do.

"Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven."

Jesus Christ - 30 A.D.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by riley

The freedom of speech is an "excuse" to you? And you're wrong, all people, *gasp*, even pagans, are entitled to free speech as well.

[edit on 8-10-2008 by NOTurTypical]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

BH I know you don't have faith but I always thought you were above this type of irresponsibility. Suggesting mockery, violence and threats because someone else is trying to share their views on faith is the very thing that inspires intolerance and hatred...

[edit on 10/8/2008 by kinglizard]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
kinglizard, EDIT: Thank you for editing your above response.

I have faith. I have plenty of faith. Perhaps just not in the same things you have faith in.

I didn't suggest violence against a person, but sometimes a violent action is just what is needed to get one's point across. If I were being assaulted by someone, I think violence is absolutely a proper response. And in my opinion, these kids are being assaulted by religion peddlers, taking advantage of the fact that they are a "captured" audience at their bus stop.

I did suggest mockery and a verbal threat of repercussion. These kids have no other weapon to wield against the adults, who should know better. If they're going to stoop so low as to assault children at the bus stop, then they should expect a retaliation of some kind. The reason people continue to push their views on others is because there are seldom consequences.

(And if you disagree with the word "assault", then you should reconsider the use of the word "violence". In this case, they go hand in hand.)

It's ironic that you would judge what I said as "ugly" and that I have no class and then approve of what these people are doing to these children, as my opinion of them is virtually the same. What they are doing is very ugly and they have no class at all. It would be one thing to hand out a flier and invite the kids to learn more, but to repeatedly assault an unwilling, captured audience with sermons and brainwashing is quite ugly and seriously lacks class.

But thanks for going to the trouble of making a post just so you could share your personal opinion of me, my maturity and intelligence, which have nothing to do with the thread topic.

[edit on 8-10-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   

How would you feel if pagans, hare krishnas, scientologists, satanists, etc. tried to "push" their beliefs and handed out pamphlets and CDs to your children at school?

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by outrider

Good post-Freedom FROM organised religion should be just as important as freedom for it.
Obviously everybody has an opinion on the existence (or non existence) of god (or gods) but thats it...just an opinion.
Noone knows anything for sure and these religious extremists (of any flavour)who attempt to forcefully impose their own opinions on others are nothing but insecure and irresponsible.
Don´t let these conditioned idiots intimidate you into beleiving anything-the luxury of arriving at your own conclusions is a very important value.
Cheers Karl

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Listen, without a play on words...without twisting intent ...without attempting to win some debate your direction to an 18 year old kid was irresponsible and beneath a woman of your intelligence.

These are your words:

Mockery = " I suggest you carry a sign saying, "I Worship the Devil".", "make up a "prop" CD with a scary picture of Satan and "push" it on them. Do an Internet search and find some Satan-worship prayers and recite them while the rude people are within hearing distance."

Violence = "Accept the CD and then smash it on the ground right in front of them. And then ask for another.".

Threat = "you could tell them that if they don't leave you alone, you're going to report that they tried to "touch" you in an inappropriate manner. No one likes child molesters hanging around schools."

This isn't exactly revolutionary thought you know...you don't need to be a christian to understand the above is inflammatory and irresponsible.

If doing what they are doing is against the law inform those that enforce the law...if doing what they are doing is against school policy then inform those that enforce school policy. If they are within their rights but you don't agree with their ideology then ignore them or maybe engage them in mature debate. Suggesting mockery, violence and threats is barbaric and only supports worldly hate, conflict and intolerance.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Jesus Christ - 30 A.D.

so your saying Christ said this, thirty years after he died

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien

How would you feel if pagans, hare krishnas, scientologists, satanists, etc. tried to "push" their beliefs and handed out pamphlets and CDs to your children at school?

Did you even read this post of mine???

"The freedom of speech is an "excuse" to you? And you're wrong, all people, *gasp*, even pagans, are entitled to free speech as well."

Apparently not.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by riley
I wonder how these sidewalk preachers would react if pagans handed out spells at christian schools? I doubt they'd accept the free speech excuse.

So you think the preachers at christian schools will be okay with them doing that? Will they just sit back and watch, acknowledging their rights to freedom of speech?

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Jesus Christ - 30 A.D.

"A.D." doesn't mean "after death".

Get off he internet and finish your education.

You were up past 1:30 am on a school night showing the ATS community that you have no idea what your Charter on Freedoms and Rights has to say.

Get real kid, you're embarrassing yourself.

Have you found that amendment to your nation's Charter that forbids freedom of speech on school grounds yet? Have you decided whether these Christians were on school property or off of it yet?

you're wasting your time and ours, back your claims up, decide on your facts, and then come back in here and we'll have an open discussion.

As of right now, this thread is premised upon hearsay and absurd tripe.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   

AD doesn't mean "after death", it stands for "anno domini", meaning "in the year of our Lord." In 30 AD, Jesus was 30 years old.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join