It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What To Do About Derailment.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Isn't it about time that something is done about those who derail a thread?

I know sometimes warnings are given,but in a recent thread of my own no such thing happened even though i and several other members tried to keep it on topic.In fact,2 members have given up posting on it now,but i don't blame them.

I know such people can be ignored,but its not always easy to avoid debating with them.Especially if their views are ignorant,misinformed or just outright stupid.

Many threads have been the victims of derailment,some done quite deliberately,and not all of it done by trolls.

These people expect others to stay on topic in there threads,so why should they get away with derailing another person's thread??

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Every post made has an "Alert" link under the sig. section on the member.
All you need to do it click the "Alert" and a u2u page opens for the Mods only forum with a link to the post you have a problem with.

Just type a brief little bit about the issue with that post and send it on.

The Mods become aware of the issue and can take necessary action to put the thread back on the rails. Trying to argue with a troll or someone intentionally going off topic often makes the problem worse, and I just find life easier if the Mods handle it.

Hope that helps.....

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
If you come across any post that is off-topic or derailing a thread, please use the alert button that's located at the bottom of each post. This brings the post to the entire staff's attention for review.

Please bear in mind that ATS is a huge site, and there are only so many moderators. Any help we receive in this manner goes a long way into keep this place in tip-top shape.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Thank you both for your posts.

I guess i'm just venting my spleen as it can get very frustrating,as you no doubt know.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I find totally and utterly ignoring them to be effective too. Just keep plodding along as if they had never posted anything. They will eventually get fed up with not being reacted to and go and cry in a corner.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I quite agree.

I just don't know what all this GFL stuff is about? I'm really getting fed up with it - channelling and all that.

Also - I'm getting rather fed up with all this election stuff.

And Mars? Jeez, who cares...

What happened to 9/11?

On a serious note though, the best advice regarding thread derailment is to ignore it and hit the alert button. Most of the time these people are just looking to cause trouble.

Don't rise to it.

Peace,

MGGG

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

They often work in teams. Where one can feed off the other and eventually bring other people in on the derailment. I haven't noticed ignoring to be all that effective. I guess I am thinking about political topics though. Standard topics seem to be less prone to being derailed by multiple people.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
reply to post by Kryties

They often work in teams. Where one can feed off the other and eventually bring other people in on the derailment. I haven't noticed ignoring to be all that effective. I guess I am thinking about political topics though. Standard topics seem to be less prone to being derailed by multiple people.

I agree with this. I think the partisan nature of politics - which is ostensibly a 2 party system in many parts of the world - practically encourages 'in-thread alliances' based on a 'us against them' mentality. Whilst other polarisations inevitably occur, 'believers against debunkers' for example, I think the political threads see far worse examples of this than anywhere else.

I think alerting moderators is the most sensible option, but I'm reluctant to use it myself. I always feel like I'm running to teacher or something.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

I always feel like I'm running to teacher or something.

It's a matter of perspective.

Think of staff more as a cleaning crew. We mop up when the jar of sauce falls off the shelf and splatters across the aisle. We clean windows, we dust old furniture, we wash dirty laundry and take out the trash.

You can safely ignore us as long as our worst messes are from others and we'll leave sweets on your desk as a reward for your dligent care.

Best of all... we do all that for nothing.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Best of all... we do all that for nothing.

Ironically, that's one of the things that actually make me a little reluctant. It would be different if you moderators were paid and it was your job to sort out mess - all and any mess - but as it stands, I'm never sure.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   

As a general rule, I only hit the alert button if something is particularly objectionable and is way outside the T&C

Like you, I have a kind of "guilt" about "telling tales" but sometimes a post or a thread merits hitting the button.

In my experience the mods are not here as "police" but as more of an arbitration committee who are there to help, without stifling free speech as long as it remains within the T&C.

There's also an excellent thread here which pretty much sums up the role of mods - both as mods and members.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Ignoring them is obviously the best choice,but as i said,you can easily get sucked in.

If i have to send an alert,for whatever reason,i'm not gonna feel guilty about it,the rules are there to be followed by everyone.

To me it shows lack of respect,and i'm talking about those who are persistent offenders of derailment.

Most of the time the topic they try and steer the thread to can be found in another,yet they choose not to discuss it there.

The way i see it,there's deliberate derailment and then there's a more natural digression to a topic that is different but still within the realms of the OP.

Its the deliberate derailment that obviously causes the most frustration.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by budski

As a general rule, I only hit the alert button if something is particularly objectionable and is way outside the T&C

Like you, I have a kind of "guilt" about "telling tales" but sometimes a post or a thread merits hitting the button.

In my experience the mods are not here as "police" but as more of an arbitration committee who are there to help, without stifling free speech as long as it remains within the T&C.

There's also an excellent thread here which pretty much sums up the role of mods - both as mods and members.

Heh, I'm glad I'm not the only one regarding 'alert guilt'!

Thanks for the link.

new topics

top topics

join