It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spotless Sun: Blankest Year Of The Space Age

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Spotless Sun: Blankest Year Of The Space Age

www.sciencedaily.com

Astronomers who count sunspots have announced that 2008 is now the "blankest year" of the Space Age.

As of Sept. 27, 2008, the sun had been blank, i.e., had no visible sunspots, on 200 days of the year. To find a year with more blank suns, you have to go back to 1954, three years before the launch of Sputnik, when the sun was blank 241 times.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
We heard about August being almost a minimum on solar activity with only one sunspot for the whole month. Turns out the whole year is that way.

And it is a very quiet time. If solar activity continues as low as it has been, 2008 could rack up a whopping 290 spotless days by the end of December, making it a century-level year in terms of spotlessness.

The coming year will be very interesting in terms of the effect this will have on Earth's climate. Especially when you consider other aspects such as:

"There is also the matter of solar irradiance," adds Pesnell. "Researchers are now seeing the dimmest sun in their records. The change is small, just a fraction of a percent, but significant. Questions about effects on climate are natural if the sun continues to dim."

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
The calm before the storm.

I bet we can expect a pretty potent solar maximum in a couple years

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Shere Khaan

I counted sun spots daily for the AAVSO a number of years ago. I did it for 8 years.

This is not unusual. Cycles can miss by months, it's not exactly predictable. It'll turn around soon enough. The cycle length is an AVERAGE, not exact.

Gx10+NxK= the daily count

G=number of groups
N=total number of spots
K="K" factor which depends on the individual observer.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
No wonder I don't hear much about Global Warming any more.
Fewer Sunspots = Dimmer Sun = COOLER EARTH?

My backyard garden did well this year too..even with less than
normal rain.

Fewer Sunspots and Solar Flares seem to have more positives
than negatives for the Earth...No?

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by carewemust
No wonder I don't hear much about Global Warming any more.
Fewer Sunspots = Dimmer Sun = COOLER EARTH?

Things are still melting at an alarming rate regardless

My backyard garden did well this year too..even with less than
normal rain.

What were you growing? I struggled with some of mine
My green beans and watermelons thrived though!

Fewer Sunspots and Solar Flares seem to have more positives
than negatives for the Earth...No?

I am not entirely sure if its affects can be deemed positive or negative, as it's all part of the cyclical nature of our planet.

I think there are concerns associated with the coming solar maximum...

[edit on 7-10-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I grew Tomatoes, Hot Peppers, Zuchini and Green Beans. All did
wonderfully well..except for the green beans. Not quite sure what
went wrong with those fellas. :-)
-CWM (chicago)

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I have no doubt that it will turn around given the solar magnetic cycle which they believe causes the sun spots. The data being gathered currently is gold in terms of understanding the effect of the sun's cycle on Earth.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
The calm before the storm.

I bet we can expect a pretty potent solar maximum in a couple years

You're right, everyone remembers the consequences of the "storm" that came after the '54 sun spot deficit....so so so many lives lost to solar storms and global heating in the 60's and 70's

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
The sun's late? Maybe she's pregnant.

Second line

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I knew Sputnik would eventually come back to kill us all. And they said it was for "exploration". plucky is not amused.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Sun spots are passageways to the black hole inside our sun...according to this guy!

Nassim Haramein's theories also predicted that these sun spots suck in the "fire" , originally laughed at but now agreed upon by the mainstream scientists.

He also predicted that at the core of every Galaxy lies a huge Black Hole, again scoffed at but now...

website with videos

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by vick27
You're right, everyone remembers the consequences of the "storm" that came after the '54 sun spot deficit....so so so many lives lost to solar storms and global heating in the 60's and 70's

Not sure what joke you think you are laughing at.

I didn't allude to anyone dying as a result of a solar maximum, or any devastating terrestrial aftermath for that matter.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

That is exactly what I was thinking, this period will be followed by the opposite, lots of sunspots creating all kinds of problems for earth. Is that you in your avatar? I noticed that it looks a lot like your other av.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by carewemust

We had a banter year with our zuchini, our tomatoes were bountiful but small, squash and cucumbers were great, watermelon and pumkins killed over, green bean crop just sucked. Our gourds got bigger than ever!

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Makes sense!

I just thought it was rather odd that the global warming hysteria reached a maximum earlier this year while summer was unusually cold up here in scandinavia.

Hopefully this will be one grim winter... It would fit so well with the economical crash and everything... I'm sereious, I would love that!

Besides, we had the worst olympic games in 104 years. Gonna blame that on the spotless sun as well... "Even the swedish olympic team has its spots...the sun on the other hand, has none (for the time being)"

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:38 AM
link   
When was the peak or last solar maximum...2001. It has a cycle of 11 years so that would be the next maximum 2012...as per the Mayan calendar?

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by muddyhoop

Indeed the next solar maximum is estimated to be around 2012.

That's coincidence though, as the Sun's cycle is 11 years whereas the Mayan's Long Count is more then two thousand times that long

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   
if the sunspots don't appear, the solar wind diminishes,
a mild, low force solar wind is good for the communication satellites

but without the strong & uneven solar wind, the Earth's magnet fields & the radiation belts get outta whack, storms are less energetic, clouds be come more copious...
clouds can then become denser... reflecting incoming solar radiation back into space instead of building up as surface heat.

And if the quiet sun continues for a longer time we can possibly enter another mini ice-age.

remember, we are told ' there will be signs in the sun and moon...'
a 'quiet sun' could be what was meant in the warning... something quite unexpected!

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Coincidence? Not sure I follow you. They predict 2012 as the age of the 6th sun when The Sun aligns with the galactic equator. This alignment will cause the sun to be hit by all charged particles creating more Sun spots?

Forgive me I am no scientist, I am just trying to understand what is happening in these very strange times.

Did you watch any of the videos ie crossing the event horizon???

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join