It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

too much stuff turns on upon start up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   
is there some sort of start up menu where you can select what turns on and off when start up your computer? man all these programs open i don't want to.
i looked in the control panels but cannot locate anything.
it even seems like i have seen this before, but can't remember where. please help. thanks

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   
You mean the pop up?

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   
You can use msconfig. It is included with every MS OS from 98. If you havent got it, you can get it here

Use the start button and select Run.
Enter msconfig. Then the startup tag. Tick only those file you want to run at startup.

You should ALWAYS have the systray running.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   
You don't really need a separate program to do this, it's built in to Windows.

Start, then click "Run"
Type msconfig
Select the "startup" tab
Uncheck the programs you don't want to run at startup.

It's easy.

-B.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   
A free, tiny (40k), and self contained (requires no install) program you can download which will show you in one shot 'All Auto Starting Programs' and their location is AutoRuns by Sysinternals. Available for Win9x, NT, 2000, XP. Allows you to 'Delete' the entry, 'Jump To' it's location for editing, or quickly 'View Properties' of the file being launched all from one easy window.

Sysinternals AutoRuns:
www.sysinternals.com...

You may want to check out a few of the other Sysinternals Utilities as well. They have some of the Best Utilities you'll find online. Almost all of them are Freeware too!!

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
hey thanks again my pc starts immediately again, like it did when it was first built.

[Edited on 123131p://3112u by panchovilla]

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I know this guy's website has awesome instructions for removing pesky startup programs and services. It's imple and straight forward.

www.blackviper.com...

Take it from a fellow geek.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by darklanser
I know this guy's website has awesome instructions for removing pesky startup programs and services. It's imple and straight forward.

www.blackviper.com...

Take it from a fellow geek.

I know that site!! I agree that it is very informative, especially about 'Services' within 2000 & XP. He does a very good job of explaining them in terms that are easy enough for the novice user but still detailed enough for the geek in search of answers. Many good tips to be found there!! Good call darklanser.

Another GREAT site to keep in your Favorites is:
labmice.techtarget.com...

join