It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disabled vet says Tucson kept him from voting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Disabled vet says Tucson kept him from voting

www.fox11az.com

A disabled veteran says the city of Tucson prevented him from exercising his right to vote last year.

Frank Vallejo, 48, filed a lawsuit in federal court against the city on Sept. 15.

Vallejo's attorney, Paul Gattone, said his client is suing former City Clerk Kathleen Detrick, City Clerk administrator Veronica Sainz and John D. Decker, an election poll site supervisor.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.democracyfornewhampshire.com
www.alternet.org

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
This is just another in a long string of voter/election shenanigans from Tucson and Pima County.

This may appear to be me supporting some sort of "GOP disenfranchises voters" propaganda, but please rest assured that is not my intent. Political party politics are a totally different ball game on the local level in Southern Arizona. Both parties have conservatives, pro-lifers, and pro-gun people in power. The only difference between the two parties in local politics is who greases who's palms.

I am offended at this story not because I care one way or the other who this man was likely to vote for. I am offended because he gave his health and well being to protect the very right that was denied to him: the right to vote. I totally get why Arizona has strict voter ID rules... when you live in a state overrun by illegals, you have to have some pretty strong standards to prevent them from illegally voting in this country's elections.

However, to not even follow the law and offer this man a provisional ballot and then allow him to go to the local DAV to obtain validation of his identity is outrageous. They basically just spat on his service to the nation and did so completely unabashedly. I sincerely hope they lose this case and end up paying Mr Vallejo a sizeable sum of money for violating his rights.

www.fox11az.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I hope he gets his money and I hope the officials involved get publicly shamed.

On a slightly different note, we recently had an local election here in Sydney Australia. I showed up at the same polling booth that I have always used only to be told that I could not vote there because I did not live in the area. After arguing the point they told me to go to another place, which I promptly did.

To cut a long story short I was sent halfway around Sydney to four different polling booths until, at the 5th location I finally lost the plot and started yelling and swearing at the polling officials as to what bullcrap they were trying to pull on me. I was finally pulled to one side and given a 'No vote' form, meaning that I elected not to vote and would not receive a fine for it (voting is compulsory in Australia). In the reasons box I wrote "Because after being sent halfway around Sydney to 5 different polling booths I couldn't give a rat's arse about who wins. Long Live Richard Dean Anderson!" coupled with a very nicely drawn middle finger.

Not sure why I told you guys that but I'm overtired and I'm sure there is some relevance in there somewhere

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I'm on the Vet's side, here too, burdman.

A military ID is good for nearly everything else, why couldn't the clerks
simply run his name through thier computers, ya know?

Hope he wins the lawsuit, but you know how hard it is nowadays to beat
any municipality in court; they're all in it together!

The article didn't mention the extent of Mr. Vallejo's disability; whether he
is confined to a wheelchair, or slightly physically impaired, or suffering
from PTSD, or what? Anyway, he and all other military service members
need to be given the benefit of the doubt, they are heros!

side: "A good lawyer knows the law . . ."
. . . "A GREAT lawyer knows the judge!!!"

top topics

join