It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Channeling Is A Load Of Rubbish, Right?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I'm starting this here because I'd like to avoid the New Agers on this one. Does anyone know of any even partially scientifically verified examples of this channeling stuff? Clairvoyance or anything else? I'm still open to telepathic communication but does anyone know of any reliable studies into this type of thing? Thanks in advance.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Well so far my first quote is this

[edit] Channeling
There are two main techniques mediumship developed in the latter half of the 20th century. One type involves psychics or sensitives who can speak to spirits and then relay what they hear to their clients. One of the most noted channels of this type is clairvoyant Danielle Egnew, known for her communication with angelic entities.

The other incarnation of non-physical mediumship is a form of channeling in which the channeler goes into a trance, or "leaves their body" and then becomes “possessed” by a specific spirit, who then talks through them. [10] In the trance, the medium enters a cataleptic state marked by extreme rigidity. The control spirit then takes over, the voice may change completely and the spirit answers the questions of those in its presence or giving spiritual knowledge. [11] The most successful and widely known channeler of this variety is JZ Knight, who claims to channel the spirit of Ramtha, a 30 thousand year old man. Others claim to channel spirits from "future dimensional", ascended masters [12] or in the case of the trance mediums of the Brahma Kumaris, God himself. [13] Channeling is popularly parodied in the "Doonesbury" cartoon where a ditzy female character is occasionally taken over by "Hunk-Ra," an assertive 21,000-year-old warrior based on Ramtha. Other notable channels are Jane Roberts for [Seth], Margaret McElroy for [Maitreya] and Serge J. Grandbois for [Kris].

Hossca Harrison is medium for a non-physical entity named Jonah. There is video of Jonah taking over Hossca's body and giving a message on youtube.

Sanaya Roman and Dwaine Packer channeled their own guides, Orin and Daben, to create a course called "Awakening Your Light Body." Sanaya Roman authored numerous books including "Spiritual Growth" This is their website - www.orindaben.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

Ill be looking up on this as I too want to know the science behind it all.

Personally i dont believe in it much. But if you do however believe in telepathic people, then whos to say what they are seeing or hearing isnt from another being?

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Weill, since I'm a "new ager," the ones with the answers, I guess I won't bother replying in length.

[edit on 7-10-2008 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
A group of scientists and psychologists did a study on J.Z. Knight who channel Ramtha. They concluded that she was "not faking it." Of course, it could be biased.
www.ramtha.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
To be honest I can give a perspective of having seen someone channeling as well as trying it myself. Excuse the post if it's messy and muddled I have quite a lot of things going through my mind being the middle of the week and school is in full swing

So far I have heard and seen at least three of my friends channel, of course this was back when I was first getting into New Age and all that, (moved through quite a lot of states haven't yet made a lot of friends at this point so it seemed pretty interesting.) One of them seemed to just be saying what they wanted, the way I found it easy to tell is seeing how the person normally acts before they even start the act (Such as being a close friend and basically spending time with them on a daily basis or something of the sort.) Some things he said were simply downright just his own words claiming to be the spirit that channeled him, while about...5-10% I'd say may have had some information give or take what I did or did not know about him.

Another friend (2nd one) who Is basically the only one I stayed in contact with after we all broke away from the new age stuff was relatively a new person in the way that it makes you think "Is he really being channeled through?" Of course being that I was young some things I didn't want to hear I blocked out and only took in what I wanted, of course I talk to him every now and then about it, and he just simply buries it away not wanting to get back into that (I suppose because we are all busy now that we are passing over that age of 20?
)

The third friend who was basically like a "Mentor" in this new age stuff, I wanna say I believed him 100% when I still getting used to it, but after I started to get the hang of it (new age - Astral projection and the sort) it probably only dropped about 5%, the only thing that I really noticed was his whole attitude had completely changed, I mean going from a 'gangsta' to someone who is afraid to go outside is a pretty big shift in my book (Granted he's in LA the 'bad part' so that kind of stuff you can't really do if your in a gang either.) Either way I guess I took it at face value for a while, and still pretty much do.

As for my experiences I will simply omit them from my "rant" or post, as I am actually still in debate with myself as to whether these truly happened or not. In my opinion they felt real because it felt as if my body was being occupied by two 'souls'. Then again if one chooses not to believe in souls my story is virtually null to them and this is why I choose to omit it for the time being (As well as not really wanting to look back onto those as I was about 14-17 when I was doing this; didn't start until I was about 15 I'd say though.)

My conclusion of channeling? Take it for what you will, most are primarily trying to get a message across which all seems to be the same. "Love" simply "Love" we have had numerous channelers saying that and yet why do we keep saying they are rubbish? Granted if they are trying to pass off their books to those then yes I suppose one could say that *Shrugs* then again if the person believes them to each their own right? Either way whether you all believe it or not, or whether my opinion swayed anyone it doesn't really much matter. One should simply look at the message first, then look at the person (Make sure they aren't trying to rip you off 20.00 on a book of things that they have already told you
.) I'm pretty sure one will not need a book on "Love" if the main message is simply "Love"

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Weill, since I'm a "new ager," the ones with the answers, I guess I won't bother replying in length.

Hi. Sorry if I offended you at all I just meant that I wanted to avoid the biased subjective opinions that I would get from most believers. I'm not saying it isn't true but I meant that I was adding the Channeling discussion to the Science forum as opposed to one that I predict would be more commonly frequented by New Age people. If you can provide something that could perhaps withstand scientific srutiny that would be appreciated. In theory person-to-person channeling on Earth could be tested for in conditions that would satisfy sciencey minded people.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
MisterE, no, I over reacted. I'm sorry. I am sort of touchy about stuff, just overlook it.

Anyway, I persoally do not channel.However, there have been numerous studies on the brains of channelers and such, and there certainly is a change that takes place when they go into their "trances."

Now, whether or not channelling is real or not, I won't venture to guess. Although, my personal opinion is that it is. I suppose that, like with so many other things, empirical prooof is not possible. It seems to be, at least to me, a matter of belief. You either believe in it, or you don't.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Here is a possible explanation for channeling. Although I don't buy into this explanation, I think it's possible:

MISHLOVE: You know, another research finding that has intrigued me is the work being done now on multiple personalities, where an individual who's considered highly neurotic and has different personalities, usually not very enlightened, they also show the same distinct brain wave patterns when the different personalities are coming through. Do you think there's a relationship there?

HASTINGS: It could very well be that some of the people who present themselves as channels are actually in a kind of benign or non-neurotic multiple personality, as though the channel part is a subpersonality of them -- maybe embodying greater wisdom or understanding than they might have in their own conscious self, but it still could be a part of them. Now, some of the research on multiple personality shows that even with people who are seriously disturbed, there is often one of their personalities that is a positive, constructive, wise helper, and if you can evoke that part of the person, then that part may help the other, disturbed parts get together and heal.

Channeling

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I can believe this only after OCT 14. Till then I have right to remain skeptical.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I cant really answer your question since im not eligble for it. But i can tell you a little story, back in 2000 my girlfriend at that time took a vacation with her friend to a land far away from our little country. She had a blast there until she was attacked and raped by 3 men, the thing is me and her considered and still do us soulmates, and the time she was attacked on i woke up from a deep sleep, confused, dazed and with pains all over my body. Be aware that we were seperated with 1000 of kilometers between us, but even that couldnt stop our telepathic connection of the horrific things happening. It wasnt like i could see it but i could feel her and i could feel her needs for help.

You can call it what you want but i know it was the real deal. We have gone over it several times and the timing matched down to a minute.

Best regards.

Loke.

[edit on 7-10-2008 by Loke.]

new topics

top topics

join