It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philippines angry at Enfield show

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Philippines angry at Enfield show

news.bbc.co.uk

Comedian Harry Enfield's BBC show has been labelled "disgraceful and distasteful" by members of the Philippine community in the UK.

A petition has been launched condemning the Harry And Paul show for a sketch in which one man urged another to "mount" a Filipina maid.

The Philippine embassy in London has written to the BBC and the Press Complaints Commission about the scene.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   

"This particular sketch is completely disgraceful, distasteful and a great example of gutter humour."

It accused the BBC and the show of "inciting stereotyped racial discrimination, vulgarity and violation of the maid's human rights".

The sketch was "tantamount to racism and [the] worst sexual abuse and exploitation of the hapless young Filipina domestic worker employee," it added.

The petition had received 328 signatures by midday on Tuesday.

And the law are the first to pounce on any of the public should we be racist or discriminatory in any way. So it should be for the BBC.

This is yet another disgrace for the BBC. Especially after Noel Edmond said he would fight any law or order to make him pay for a TV license. I think Noel calls it 'bonkers Britain'.

Yes, I am not happy about this.. it should not have been aired really...but have the representatives of the Philippines taken it a bit too far or do they stand justified seeing as their is a history of sex tourism going on in the Philippines where the UK and USA are mostly a part of. It is widely known that UK males do go to places like the Philippines for 'fun' rather than a holiday or genuine tourism.

I know, I've lived there and am looked at and frowned upon by various people until they realise why i am there. The rest just try to make as much money out of you as they can.

But I do have to stand in agreement with the claim of the scenes tastes and its portrayals as much as I would for any other.

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Can't people make jokes any more? what's the world coming to when you can't incite stereotypical racial discrimination and vulgarity? that's what jokes are about, there is always going to be discrimination and racism in jokes and if people can't take getting picked on a little don''t watch comedy shows

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pockets
Can't people make jokes any more? what's the world coming to when you can't incite stereotypical racial discrimination and vulgarity? that's what jokes are about, there is always going to be discrimination and racism in jokes and if people can't take getting picked on a little don''t watch comedy shows

I don't know, would you mind a few jokes about black slaves, Jewish noses or how about a few 9/11 jokes?

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien

I know, I've lived there and am looked at and frowned upon by various people until they realise why i am there. The rest just try to make as much money out of you as they can.

news.bbc.co.uk

My experience in the Philippines has shown me that virtually everyone there thinks/does:

Everyone who is not Filipino is in fact, an "Americano" who possess the odd qualities of being dumb, lazy, but somehow extremely rich. They think that all "Americano" go there to pay for sex, and if you walk down the street everyone stares at you or yells out "Hey Joe!" and also says "Gimme money" or makes a comment about dollars. The same thing happens when a Jeepney or Bus goes by. Most of them speak horrible English, but still act like you are an idiot when you can't understand them (I've noticed that people in China tend to do this as well). If you you're a male, you get treated like a sex object with money bags as a constant stream of women try to hit on you.

Most people I interacted with were greedy, shady, individuals who are just as prejudice as they are ignorant. The country is extremely dirty and littering is their national past time.

Worst country I've ever been to.

edit: I actually feel sick now.

[edit on 7-10-2008 by logician magician]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by logician magician

No not really, I'd take it with a pinch of salt, it's comedy it's to entertain and if you don't like it don't watch, it's not promoting hatred of the Philippines

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Political and racial correctness has nearly ruined comedy. If the BBC kowtowed to this type of crap, Monty Python, Benny hill and many other of the great sketch comedians would never have been allowed. Totally, thin skinned, PC crap. Like some have already said. If you don't like it don't turn on the Telly!!!
Zindo

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I am a Filipino in London.

I saw the episode and found nothing offensive in it. Actually, it was a good thing that such "thinking" was given life in the show because it showed how ridiculous some bigots can be. This opens a venue for discourse between how certain members of the British public view domestic helpers. In the show, it was actually the "northerner" and the "southerner" who looked ridiculous. By making the Filipina the object of "carnal desire", they have shown how some individuals who think so highly of themselves actually are, in substance, shallow and lacking of inherent human values.

The same can be said about how some characters in the show were "put to their places" by the Eastern European characters.

To the Filipino politicians, just focus on how you can make things better back home.

- Anthony, UK

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Man, I'd hate to see their reaction to the "juicy girls" working in Songton, Korea. What'd they do then, invade S. Korea?!? hahahah

Of course this is coming from a country that is renown for human trafficking and the drug trade.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
*Most of them speak horrible English, but still act like you are an idiot when you can't understand them (I've noticed that people in China tend to do this as well).*

Why is it that people somehow the world over to #1 get upset when people come to north america,be it on holiday,or to live,and they don't speak good english,or none at all,and than people get all upset...#2 than these people go take trips all around the world,and somehow expect people the world over to speak english,to make it "easyer for them"... ...So...When exactly is it finally an english speaking persons responsibility to figure out another language?...People who speak English are BY FAR the most bias and act as if "someone else" is an idiot,if they don't know English...

[edit on 7-10-2008 by Rory27]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Political correctness will be the death of comedy! It's sad, really.

My question is: who forced them to watch it?

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I reserve myself with all the observation and comments of forum members here. But to express my opinion, whom everyone is entitled to, I believe, in all walks of life, we need to be responsible for what we show, say, write, imply, suggest, etc. to human feelings. I do not want to associate bible verses, but people tends to forget what are the basic truths in dealing with humanity.
"He who is without sins let him cast the first stone"

I too have reservation about the country Philippines but one should study what or how a human being acquire a sad predicament in their lives. Can we blame such poor souls for no guidance and support of their upbringings? Who are we to judge?

This is a third world country where all nations across the globe recruit their manpower to run their businesses or corporations because of their work dedication and diligence, likewise their eager to learn, resilience and being fast learners.

We tend to quickly pass our judgment not realizing this scenario has been in the world since the beginning of time.

I could provide links as to where and what countries in the world, including the first world how they share the same polluted and corrupted livelihood.
But I won't as this would only lengthen this post.

Take it easy guys! Spread compassion and understanding than throwing arrows to every race. This is an imperfect world that require our God-given talents to make it better.

Leave legacy of love not only to your immediate family but also to the human sensitivities.

-vigpat

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Anything goes in comedy,or nothing does. It's an art form,an expression. Satirical racism is actually poking fun at the racists usually,not any race. I LOVE gay jokes,they don't offend me in the least. Why the hell should they? They're jokes innit.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rory27
*Most of them speak horrible English, but still act like you are an idiot when you can't understand them (I've noticed that people in China tend to do this as well).*

Why is it that people somehow the world over to #1 get upset when people come to north america,be it on holiday,or to live,and they don't speak good english,or none at all,and than people get all upset...#2 than these people go take trips all around the world,and somehow expect people the world over to speak english,to make it "easyer for them"... ...So...When exactly is it finally an english speaking persons responsibility to figure out another language?...People who speak English are BY FAR the most bias and act as if "someone else" is an idiot,if they don't know English...

[edit on 7-10-2008 by Rory27]

[People who speak English are BY FAR the most bias and act as if "someone else" is an idiot,if they don't know English...

English is an unofficial national language there. They speak it. They have a horrible entertainment industry there too so they watch mostly American made films and American music.

What I'm saying is that Filipinos will come up to you and start speaking what they consider English and then think you are stupid for not understanding them.

It goes far beyond the UK vs. USA English because it typically doesn't sound like English at all.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Absolute bloody nonsense. Stuff like this makes my blood boil and if this site didnt have such strict T&C i would really tell you how i feel. I saw the sketch and if any phillipino person is genuinely upset by that then then should go outside and immediately lie down in front of the next bus, as life CANNOT be worth living if they have so little humour or joy in thier lives.

For years we have had jokes about swedish au pairs and french maids without any sort of nationalistic outcry and im sorry, but if the french can take a joke then you should be able to as well.

Im sick of the right on PC brigade, which this smacks of, for gods sake, it was a comedy sketch on a comedy show. Are the ones complaining trying to say that no one takes the piss out of the brits??? Every US sitcom i see that has a brit appear in it pretty much has a go at our accent, our dental hygene, our fondness for cups of tea etc etc etc etc etc-just watch the simpsons! Mocking other nationalities (within reason, which this was) is a normal part of comedy EVERYWHERE in the world and for anyone to cry raciscm over that stupid sketch is just pitiful.

Do you ever hear of Brits complaining about this? I dont. So for anyone that was offended by this, grow up, get a bloody sense of humour and maybe concentrate your energies on the IMPORTANT things that are happening in the world right now. And if people gently mocking what your country is world reknowned for, ie the sex trade, offends you, then perhaps do something to clean up your act in your own damn country and we will have nothing to laugh at then will we

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by logician magician

Non native English speaking countries have their own style of speaking English of course.

When was the last time you heard a heavily accented French speaking English? How about a Singaporean?, Japanese, German, Spanish etc.

There was a case when I was having a conversation between two UK guys. A Scottish & an English. During the course of conversation, the English guy had to ask me once in while (If the scottish guy is busy doing other things or the attention was diverted somewhere else) if he does not understand some words.

Imagine, they are both from UK.

Philippines has a little over 100 dialects. Each dialect differs greatly from each other. And mind you, if a person who visits a place where there is a different dialect, that person, even a fellow Filipino is being treated as foreigner or an outsider. Just because they have a different dialect.

It's easy for a native speaker to look down on people who speak English as a second language (And can not speak it properly the way the native speaker does) yet I don't really see the point why it has to be.

new topics

top topics

join