It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution stops here: Future Man will look the same, says scientist

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Evolution stops here: Future Man will look the same, says scientist

www.dailymail.co.uk

For centuries, writers have attempted to predict the future of the human race.

Some have argued that we are destined to evolve into super-beings, others that we are turning into dim-witted goblins incapable of anything more demanding than watching TV.

Professor Steve Jones, of University College London, says the forces driving evolution - such as natural selection and genetic mutation - no longer play an important role in our lives.

The people living one million years from now, should Man survive, will resemble modern-day humans.

But according to a leading geneticist, both visions are wrong because human evolution has ground to a halt.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.timesonline.co.uk

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
And here I had hopes of us turning into giant telepathic brains.

It's odd to me that if evolution is real that it would suddenly stop.

I suppose if this were true it would be sort of anticlimactic. I mean looking into the mirror I am now peering at future man a million years in our future.

He needs a shave.

- Lee

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
He is assuming that the median of humanity will stay the same. That is to say that on average, there will be no change.

However I am of the firm opinion that there will be a divergence in human evolution. While those of lower intelligence propagate faster and are more numerous, those with higher intelligence gain and impart more wealth and knowledge to their children.

While there may not be any physical challenges or threats to a man, there will always be natural selection by sexual choice. An intelligent woman is unlikely to choose a stupid man. Therefore assuming that mating is driven by commonalities, stupid people will end up with stupid people and intelligent people with intelligent people.

Compounded with this are numerous positive correlations between intelligence and wealth, health etc.

In short, Prof Jones may be correct about the median point remaining the same. But there will be an ever increasing divergence between the forefront and back ends of human existence.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I think we will go through a spiritual evolution and increased awareness. Maybe it's true that we will look the same...

There goes the theory that Greys are future humans

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I think the obvious change will be that of "races" or lack there of. I am convinced that in 1,000,000 years there will be no discernible ethnic groups left. Humans will meld into one group of very similar appearance. In fact, some are saying red headed people will be extinct in less than 100 years!

Another change I would not be at all surprised to see is that of sexes. I am not talking hermaphrodites, more like androgynous beings. This will be bought about by a "spiritual" evolution rather than a genetic one. This makes sense to me because if humans are to survive for another 1,000,000 years they will need to get over their petty differences with between the sexes, culture, color, creed etc. Only then can we truly advance.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer

While there may not be any physical challenges or threats to a man, there will always be natural selection by sexual choice. An intelligent woman is unlikely to choose a stupid man. Therefore assuming that mating is driven by commonalities, stupid people will end up with stupid people and intelligent people with intelligent people.

You make a great point. Think about this though....there are many intelligent males and females that will never find each other and will end up settling for someone that is less intelligent than they are. Also, we have to rank beauty in on this too. A good looking guy or gal who is intelligent is still less likely to hook up with an ugly smart person. Unfortunately if that's all they can find (a hot dumb person) that's who they propagate with.
like I said, good point, just food for thought.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Evolution will just transfer to other areas such as prosthetics, implants, medicines. We'll evolve ourselves through technology. We're already in the beginning of a transhumanistic movement.

Hey, that's funny that they talk about "dimwitted goblins" because I was talking with one of them earlier.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I for one would have t disagree here..

Just look at our pinky fingers and toes... in another 1000 or 10000 years they will be gone we will have 3 fingers and a thumb and 4 toes.

Evolution stops for no one and nothing, ever!

If there is one thing the laws of the universe teach us is nothing stays the same... everything changes, always.

To think that mankind will not continue to change and evolve is ludicrous.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   
We are still evolving, and will become even more powerful than we are now. Now we can communicate over large distances, see into outer space, travel at high speeds etc.

Humans are making ourself evolve to better our weaker feats. In the future we might end up as cyborgs that can communicate via brain implants to every other human, teleportation, lightspeed.... who knows.. WE ARE IN CONTROL.... evolution is ours to play around with.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Im not sure i believe that entirely. I can see how we would have stopped changing our basic anatomy, as we no longer have to adapt to fit our environment, we adapt our environment to fit around us, therefore pretty much anyone can pass on their genes without any bias towards anatomy as such.

However mate selection now seems to be a cultural thing, so there may well be some marked differences in the future, the theory that there will be a short squat and ugly offshoot of humans and a tall handsome athletic one probably has some truth to it due to cultural mate selection.

Bit over simplified of course.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Anice thought, but one that falls down if based on commonality of intelligence.

For example, one of my best friends is married to a genetecist who is at present working on her doctorate (the malarial parasite is the foundation for her thesis)

He on the other hand can best be described as "average" intelligence.

They have 2 kids, and plan more.

I can think of many other examples less extreme

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I actually think, as female choice is becoming more prevalent, sexual selection may play a significant part in the future of Human Evolution.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Sounds viable.

I also picture the future to be one of hermaphrodites, transsexuals and non-sexuals, but that's the present, isn't it?

I see our genes specializing if they are allowed to evolve naturally and not be interfered with through artificial means created by man, because for the most part it's true. Attractive seeks out attractive, ugly has to settle on ugly. Another note is that, but not always true, better looking people are not as nice and considerate, are usually stuck up and snotty, whereas ugly people have to learn to live with being ugly so they tend to try to be nicer, smarter in an attempt to win over the emotions to add an aspect of attractiveness to their physical lack thereof, and often times those types do and they reproduce with an attractive female.

So these hypothetically elite Humans of the future will be smart and athletic, they will be everything that we already are, just more specialized and stronger, more connected to objective reality. One interesting point is. 1.) I also do always wonder what the color of our future race will be in a million years or so after everyone has culturally interbreeded and if we'd carry any prejudices then.

[edit on 7-10-2008 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   
He is forgetting about an important part, we are living in times of HUGE technology evolution, soon enough we will evolve with this technology and combine ourselves with it, because there would be many uses for it. This is our brains creating a new sort of evolution, I would still call this evolution natural, because our brains are natural.

We can pobably evolve ourselves through technology very soon, not waiting millions of years, people are going to do it themselves far sooner. Nanotechnology, machines, genetic maniplulation, dna manipulation etc etc

A lot of scientists are living in the past and forggeting about ho we are already evolving, I am communicating to you now from miles away! think about the present and future more! We are really at the beginning of our technology, the computers we have now may seem advanced, but it's just the beginning, in the future it will evolve so much you would not believe it now, just as those hundreds of years ago would not believe the now. Computers are probably the greatest invention ever?

Why has this scientist forgotten a most obvious subject?

[edit on 7-10-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
If he is talking about natural physical evolution he might be right. But he is totally wrong in my opinion about evolution overall.

Before we naturally evolve we would evolve ourselves through technology first! Nanotechnology, machines, genetic maniplulation, dna manipulation etc etc

In a way, that's still a type of natural evolution. Perhaps once we reach the critical point (if we have not already) where our survival is supplemented by more and more advanced technology, than their will be a type of negative correlation between genetic evolution and technological evolution. Certainly any technological evolution would happen much faster than a physical one with our current technology.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by WatchNLearn
I think the obvious change will be that of "races" or lack there of. I am convinced that in 1,000,000 years there will be no discernible ethnic groups left. Humans will meld into one group of very similar appearance. In fact, some are saying red headed people will be extinct in less than 100 years!

If our current rate of technological growth continues that won't happen. Some people will always love blue eyed babies, and science will be capable of genetically engineering them. I do not see black hair and brown eyes being the mandate of the future; people want diversity!!!

[edit on 7-10-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by logician magician

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
If he is talking about natural physical evolution he might be right. But he is totally wrong in my opinion about evolution overall.

Before we naturally evolve we would evolve ourselves through technology first! Nanotechnology, machines, genetic maniplulation, dna manipulation etc etc

In a way, that's still a type of natural evolution. Perhaps once we reach the critical point (if we have not already) where our survival is supplemented by more and more advanced technology, than their will be a type of negative correlation between genetic evolution and technological evolution. Certainly any technological evolution would happen much faster than a physical one with our current technology.

Yes you are right, just before you posted that, I edited my post

The fact is, we use our brains to survive, new technology will have many uses, entertainment and survival, it's naturally going to evolve ourselves. In my opinion.

If it's a good thing or a bad thing, I don't know, but I do think it will happen no matter what, and in my opinion like with everything else there are positives and negatives, so this will have that too, I'm pretty hopeful for the postives, because it outweighs all the negatives, in terms of medical miracles, cures etc.

A lot of authors of sci fi books have already gone into these ideas of the future as you all probably know haha.

We live in interesting times. Some of us don't realise that.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Furthermore, our evolution will certainly not stop. Sure some animals like sharks and crocodiles have been perfected so well for their environment they have stopped changing for a very long time now, but if the environment changes the animal changes.

In the case of humans we will continue to evolve, particularly our brains and immune systems, but perhaps our basic exterior design will meet our needs for 100,000 years or more and that will remain pretty much the same.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

Originally posted by WatchNLearn

If our current rate of technological growth continues that won't happen. Some people will always love blue eyed babies, and science will be capable of genetically engineering them. I do not see black hair and brown eyes being the mandate of the future; people want diversity!!!

[edit on 7-10-2008 by Sonya610]

Yes and men also want diversity in women too, and women want diversity in men!

In fact I believe there will be more differences, because if they start treating their bodies like fashion, who knows what will happen! lol

Anyway I think the next 15-30 years will give us a good idea of how fast we are heading in this direction or not. See ya in the future!

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
OK I know I've been watching too much x-men, heroes etc.

But this came to mind, what if some people evolve, probably through technology etc, but the rest of the people do not like it, and goverments and the people want to arrest, kill the freaks? calling them terrorists etc I think x-men makes sense because it's all about human nature, the humans natural fear of the unknown, the hatred humans can have because of this.

That is one worry.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join