It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RBS shares sink, S&P cuts credit rating

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   

RBS shares sink, S&P cuts credit rating

uk.reuters.com

LONDON (Reuters) - Credit ratings agency S&P cut its rating on Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS.L: Quote, Profile, Research) on Monday, citing earnings and further writedown risks, just as its shares tumbled 20 percent as Europe's banks were hit by deepening gloom.

Standard & Poor's Ratings Services cut its long- and short-term credit ratings on RBS to 'A+/A-1' from 'AA-/A-1+'.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bloomberg.com
finance.google.ca

====
Mod Edit: Title fixed to reflect original article
Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 7/10/2008 by Badge01]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Royal Bank of Scotland could be in for some very rough times today. Take a look at today's trading and you'll see they are already down by nearly 10%.

A lot of predictions have been made about today. Could the collapse of RBS be the trigger event?

Interesting to note the gains experienced in the FTSE in early trading have been almost completely wiped out.

What are your thoughts people?

----I'm a long time reader and first time poster, so apologies if I screw up any of the links on my post.

uk.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

====
Mod Edit: Title fixed to reflect original article

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by liketoknow

I'll be curious to see who buys them out at a fraction of their worth. I think that as this unfolds we will start to see who is pulling the strings. JPMorgan seems to be making out pretty well in this whole thing. Let's see where everything gets consolidated to and then see just how much involvement they had in the whole ordeal.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by liketoknow

RBS will be the next, that seems to be indeed the case. The only it will trigger is a further rant from Salmond...

And unfortunatelly , probably loads more unemployment in Scotland.

====
Mod Edit: quote removed, 'reply to' linked

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jmlima

The share price is now tumbling. They've now lost 30.05% on the days trading.

RBS stock price

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Yep RBS dropping is extremely bad for Europe indeed. Bad for USA too as the sentiment carries overseas when extreme. Might see Bank of America react negatively today, if it still exists! (I don't know who's around anymore)

Today will be a classic DEAD CAT BOUNCE in terms of gains on positive exchanges, if any.
Usually on the way up, there is a brief pullback and a massive upward trend shortly thereafter.
Down works the same in a crash, it dives then rises and then nose dives.

We are talking short term pain, at least, so the motions will be daily extremes.

I don't care if the market goes up 2000 on any exchange today, it's coming down 4000 either way as I see it. I don't mean exact numbers but the ratio 1 up 2 down probably till Friday.

I just hope we get out of this damn rut soon.

[edit on 7-10-2008 by Atlantican]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Interesting enough, RBS predicted back in about mid summer, that the American economy was going to do into a meltdown this fall.

I wonder if they knew from their books, or if TPTB are making them "pay" for that leak now, or if it is just "stuff happens"?

top topics

join