It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Real Scorpion King

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Maybe I could get some help from the �people in the know� here on ATS. The real Egyptian King known as �Scorpion I� supposedly created many things including astronomy, architecture, writing, metal working and many other advances. I�m having a hard time locating any information on the subject. Do you have any information you can share?

This is what I found regarding his creation of writing.

The Sumerian hieroglyphs have long seemed slightly older than the Egyptian ones. But since the discovery of the tomb of the Naqadan king "Scorpion I" (tomb U-j at the Umm el-Qaab in Abydos), this is no longer true.

Archeologists found writing on a group of small bone or ivory labels dating from 3,300 to 3,200 BC. Writing, here, means a symbolic representation of language, not pictures representing concrete objects.

The labels were attached to bags of linen and oil in the tomb of King Scorpion I in Egypt. They apparently indicated the origin of the commodities.

Like the symbolic systems of pictographs that preceded writing, the inscriptions contained symbols. Pictographs, however, are not truly writing, but rather drawings that represent specific words or objects.

Thus a pictograph of an eye might stand for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth. They are the earliest known writing.

Some Resources:

www.archaeology.org.../reviews/scorpion
www.archaeology.org...

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
This man was immensely important to the formation of a civilized culture. He brought forth the first alphabet, taught people how to build structures, how to work with natural materials and create tools and made us question humanities place in the heavens. Could he have been an Alien or Angel sent to earth to guide us.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   
you are conjecturing entirely too much, just because he made use of and supported writing etc., does not mean that he was the discoverer or inventor of such things. you have no proof, it's like giving alexander the great full credit for the fruits of hellenism.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I would think that if the earliest examples of writing ever found were from Scorpion I that IS proof is it not?

What else would we have to go on other than the earliest examples? Am I missing something here?

M...

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
I would think that if the earliest examples of writing ever found were from Scorpion I that IS proof is it not?

What else would we have to go on other than the earliest examples? Am I missing something here?

M...

Exactly Springer.

The only thing that could be earlier is pictures representing objects. This is a step beyond that, the first step. Meaning it�s the thing that lead to the creation of every alphabet of every language. It made the recording of history and the sharing of ideas through writing possible.

Archeologists found writing on a group of small bone or ivory labels dating from 3,300 to 3,200 BC. Writing, here, means a symbolic representation of language, not pictures representing concrete objects.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Here is some more information regarding Scorpion kings importance.

The macehead depicts a king of the Upper Kingdom whose name is indicated by the symbols of the rosette and the scorpion-King Scorpion. At first, some Egyptologists refused to believe that King Scorpion was real and thought it more likely that he was a mythical god, not unlike Horus, the Falcon King.

THE REAL SCORPION KING also explores the tremendous impact that King Scorpion had on Egyptian civilization. Above the roof of King Scorpion's tomb was a small mound of sand, symbolizing the primeval mound from which everything was created.

Pyramids would continue to evolve throughout Egyptian history, but even the Great Pyramid at Giza owes its very existence to the simple mud tomb of the Scorpion King.

The bird represents Horus, patron god of Abydos, defeating Set, patron god of Naqada. For the Scorpion King, this image marked the unification of the Upper Kingdom under his rule. This symbol would later evolve into an elegant and common hieroglyph symbolizing victory.

Evidence in King Scorpion's recently discovered tomb, and primitive writing in a remote location in Egypt's Western desert, is revealing that the foundation for Pharaonic Egypt begins earlier than previously believed. The evidence is forcing scholars to rewrite history, establishing a whole new dynasty of Egyptian kings, Dynasty Zero. The quest to uncover the Real Scorpion King is a journey to the origins of Egyptian Civilization and the birth of history.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer

M...

no; that's not proof, that's conjecture, it could have been a colleague or an associate of his that invented writing. what the present evidence shows is that writing existed at an earlier time than suspected. that's it.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 02:32 AM
link   
An interesting note is that the great Egyptian Pyramids are aligned with Orion�s belt.

Reconstructing the ancient skies over Giza reveal that at 2500 BC, the Southern shaft targeted straight at Al Nitak (the brightest of the 3 stars of Orion's belt), symbolising their identification with Osiris, their high God of resurrection and rebirth.

According to Greek mythology, it corresponds to the scorpion which was sent by Gaia (or possibly the goddess Juno) to kill the hunter Orion, the scorpion rising out of the ground at the goddess' command to attack. Although the scorpion and Orion appear together in this myth, the constellation of Orion is almost opposite to Scorpius in the night sky. It has been suggested that this was a divine precaution to forestall the heavenly continuation of the feud.

Scorpius also appears in one version of the fable of Phaethon, a foolish mortal who obtained permission to drive the Apollo's sun-chariot for a day. The horses, already out of control in their sky journey became scared when they encountered the great celestial scorpion with its sting raised to strike, and the inexperienced boy lost control of the chariot, as the sun wildly went about the sky. Finally, Jupiter struck him down with a thunderbolt to stop the rampage.

Resources:
www.geocities.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

join