It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China cancels U.S. Military/Diplomatic Contact!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   

China cancels US military/diplomatic contact

news.bbc.co.uk

China has cancelled military and diplomatic exchanges with the US in protest at a $6.5bn deal to supply Taiwan with arms, US officials say.

A number of senior level visits and military-to-military exchanges due before November would not go ahead, the US defence department said.

The sales include advanced interceptor missiles, Apache helicopters and submarine-launched missiles.

China regards Taiwan as its territory and opposes US military support.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6-10-2008 by baseball101]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Hmm... this is interesting ... is the us trying to make the chinese look like the bad guys and possibly pick a fight or are the chinese up to something against the us? i wonder what will result from this and if it will effect our country at all...

Just as a side note i thought this was an interesting quote ... not really sure if this guys upset or what ...

"It's an unfortunate step," said US state department deputy spokesman Robert Wood.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
This is interestng. I'm no expert in international relations, but this seems like a pretty big deal to so drastically cut all diplomatic relations, especially with the amount of trade each country does with each other.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by drock905

ya i'm not too sure what to expect from this ... i'm pretty sure it's going to have a bad effect ... just to add to the long list of things that are causing strains on the us...

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Hey, I say let there be all the strains between the US and China. If we can quit importing so much and take back some of our US jobs, we can deal with some tension. It doesn't have to go to war. All we need to do is bring back some jobs and start fixing our problems back here. Maybe this would be a good excuse to do it. I realize it is more complicated than this, maybe just wishful thinking.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
This is big. China doesn't like other countries getting involved in the Taiwan issue. I remember reading sometime back that China would use military force to exercise its sovereign right over Taiwan or something like that? I don't like to jump to conclusions though. What does everyone else think?

[edit on 6-10-2008 by AnubisOfTheEast]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
We do way to much trade with China for it to halt! My God, they are giving us products from toys to food that are deadly! Plus we owe them LOTS of money. Don't think it will happen myself. Besides, who would make EVERYTHING we buy???

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
The west and China have been scrapping over Taiwan forever and a day.
There is really nothing new here no big deal.
They just like to argue about it but at the end of the day all country's need Taiwan unless we want to pay $400 for a toaster.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
i would love to participate in this thread but the OP's avatar is rather disgusting and i can't stand to have it in my sideview as i read...
i'm sure i'm not alone in my opinion even though no one else voices it.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Ongoing news discussion...

Here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join