It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats the point with religious tattoos?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   

So answer me this...... Whats the point with religious tattoos? I'm a Catholic Christian and from what I understand, tattoos are against our religion. So whats the point with all these people of tattoos of jesus or a cross, etc.....???????????

Have they missed the memo?

Does this go for body piercings too? What other religions have this rule?

Whats everyones opinions on this?

[Edited on 24-3-2004 by porschedrifter]

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
It goes against christianity?

Like it really says to not tattoo in their bible?

Or you just going to say that part about the body being a temple blah blah, oh yeah but if it is a temple, why not decorate it? and what about all the fat asses, I am just not being healthy would just be as big disgrace to the temple.

Anywho I agree somewhat, I am so sick of cookie cutter cross tattoos, and japanese chrs, and the same boring tribalness.

what happened to being unique?

About the religious tattoos, maybe they get them because they are proud of their religion and wish to show it off on their body like a billboard, trying to recruit me into a crazy ass cult, luckily I have already bought my pair of black nikes.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by porschedrifter

I'm a Catholic Christian and from what I understand, tattoos are against our religion.

Huh? I grew up Catholic. Even went to a Catholic school until high school and have never seen anything about tattoo's being against Catholicism. If it were, since they've been so popular during the '90's don't you think the Pope would have spoke out against them? I have a tattoo of a stylized cross I designed. The point is that I wanted to express myself with artwork in the form of a tattoo, and I felt that since a tattoo is permanent, it should be of something important to me. Does that make sense?

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I think you should've went with the one of Alfred E Newman. What me worry?

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Then my dad has been lying to me this whole time

22 and still cant get a tattoo!

hahahahah

"desicrating your body is against your religion"

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I think it is in Leviticus 19 about tattooing, but it says in remembrance of the dead. It also says not to wear clothing made of more than one material and more than one crop on your property. These rules are for the Jews, not the Gentile.

[Edited on 25-3-2004 by godservant]

[Edited on 26-3-2004 by godservant]

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Er, well, if you get a cross or crucifix tattooed on you, I think that would qualify as remembrance of the dead. An image of Jesus sans cross may be a different matter.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
It goes against christianity?

Like it really says to not tattoo in their bible?

Or you just going to say that part about the body being a temple blah blah, oh yeah but if it is a temple, why not decorate it? and what about all the fat asses, I am just not being healthy would just be as big disgrace to the temple.

Anywho I agree somewhat, I am so sick of cookie cutter cross tattoos, and japanese chrs, and the same boring tribalness.

Preach! Custom tattoos are the #.

what happened to being unique?

Unique? Oh Lysergic, that went out of style years ago.

About the religious tattoos, maybe they get them because they are proud of their religion and wish to show it off on their body like a billboard, trying to recruit me into a crazy ass cult, luckily I have already bought my pair of black nikes.

I disagree, I think people that get religous tattoos think theyre getting a free pass into heaven.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I disagree, I think people that get religous tattoos think theyre getting a free pass into heaven.

Yeah, I agree totally with you on that one.

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Why do you think that? Do people who have other types of tattoos have alterior motives as well? Or do you think that just because of the religious aspect of it, that then they MUST be trying to buy salvation. I know a guy with a tattoo of Godzilla fighting UltraMan. What is he trying to get a free pass to? I don't think it's the tattoo that's the problem. I think it's the open expression of ones religious beliefs that seems to be the offense here. Why is a sacred heart worse for a tattoo than Wile E. Coyote?

new topics

top topics

join