It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did god choose to make this universe?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Be for you read on, i would like to state that this is not a "god does/doesn't exist" topic. I personally don't believe in a god or higher being, I am merely curious about Christianity.

This post by Quantum_Squirrel struck me as interesting from my other topic which you can find here www.abovetopsecret.com... , and I'm not quite sure what the answer would be, or even if there is an answer. Does Christianity explain these questions? (once again, I'm not trying to disprove god or the views of Christianity)

If it is possible that time had a begining (big bang) its also possible it could have an end. Most theologians would Not want God to come into being at the beginning of time and cease to exist if it should come to an end.

And this is were Problems start to arise with 'God'

Could the designer have chosen a different universe, or chosen not to make a universe at all? .... if the answer is no, then God had no alternative but to create this universe and plays no role at all in the explanation - and so does not merit the title 'designer'.
Nature is reduced to a subset of the divine being rather than a creation of this being. in fact this scenario might as well do away with a designer altogether.

Christians, however, traditionally believe something quite different.

They believe that God created this particular universe as a free act: that is, God was free to not make this universe. but this comes with its own set of difficulties, because we can ask why it was that God chose to make this universe, as opposed to a lifeless one, or one with maximum suffering.

If the reply is 'it's unfathomable' then the chain of explanation peters out. If the answer is that the choice was blind then again the element of design is lost, because if the selection was purely whimsical, then the universe is reduced to a divine plaything.

But if the answer is that the decision to make the universe was a profound and considered one which proceeded from God's nature, then one is prompted to ask about the source of this nature. In other words who designed the designer? making God not god/designer/creator after all..

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
How would God cease to exist at the end of time? Doesn't make sense, God exists outside of time. God could create any universe he wanted to, of course. There would be no point in not creating a universe, the universe came into being for our benefit. That is why he didn't create a lifeless world or a world filled with maximum suffering, we wouldn't benefit from it. Some would say the "goal" for the creatures is to fill them with delight. The decision to make the universe wasn't profound or difficult, the decision was to create a creature, and fill it with happiness. The universe was created after that determination was made. The natural world we see is an emanation of God, that is the source. God designed nature, for the purpose I stated above.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
He created it because he could and maybe at the end of it we might become God's our selves and he can say, go play make me some univeses aswell, but first off I want to see if you are as fair as me in person as the basic law.

The Bible says something about individuals having their own kingdoms? What does that mean?

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost147

But if the answer is that the decision to make the universe was a profound and considered one which proceeded from God's nature, then one is prompted to ask about the source of this nature. In other words who designed the designer? making God not god/designer/creator after all..
If God's nature inside the universe was what it would naturaly be, that does not mean the universe was a natural outgrowth of the apparent physical nature of God. You can not apply the chicken and egg principle in this situation. The name of God is, "I am who and what I decide that I am". God planned the universe and once there was a dimensional space for Him to abide, He stepped inside the universe to finish the work of creation. What manifested as His material being was what would have been natural according to the universe he created but He did not make the universe to be a natural outgrowth of what He was before creation.

[edit on 7-10-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

If I was to take every sentence you wrote and stated the exact opposite of each one, that would be what I believe.
I am not trying to be mean or anything, just saving myself the trouble of going into detail, myself when it is more convenient to just say that.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
He/They created the universe because it was his/their final Science Project for College.
Or was it for High School?
Can't really remember which it was.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I have this idea that I play in my head sometimes when I think about this.

I imagine an infinite darkness. I imagine a conscious force, a single conscious force, in this darkness. I imagine this force is completely alone for all of eternity. Sound fun?

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
In my cosmology, god IS the universe.

The universe is an eternal process of organic energy transfer. We are but one form of manifestation of that eternal energy.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
God created this universe to be able to give and receive love. Hey... it's lonely being the big 3 O's.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

If I was to take every sentence you wrote and stated the exact opposite of each one, that would be what I believe.
I am not trying to be mean or anything, just saving myself the trouble of going into detail, myself when it is more convenient to just say that.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by jmdewey60]

Well I'd be curious as to what you have to say, no one has replied to anything I have said in the thread the OP linked, lol. But I suppose you aren't going to say anything, in which case there's no point in saying you disagree, I like details so please provide. Unless you're afraid or something, in which case I understand.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by ghaleon12]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost147

UMMKAY uh yer avatar is totally cracking me up! I will be happy to tell you what my take on the universe is ,but I have to wait ,right now I can't stop laughing ,darn it!

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
lol, lucid.

So far no one is actually answering the question on why god decided to create the universe. it seems that everyone is simply stating that it is for us. however, the universe came befor us, so technically we would be for the universe. which doesnt justify your logics ghaleon12. There seems to be no reason still why god had the whim to make the universe, there seems no point what so ever in its creation.

lol, invisiblewoman. see, this is why i love this cg avatar, everyone either fears it and needs to put tape on their monitor where avatars would be, or loves it, or laughs at it. what an amazing avatar *hugs avatar*

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Some of your logic I find very hard to follow, lol. How would humans develope or even exist without the universe? I sort of think we need it.. Could God create humans without the universe? To understand a lot of this, you need to have an idea of the end result.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Sorry, let me try to be more clear

this is what you stated

the universe came into being for our benefit.

Which would imply that humans were made first.

and if not, then the univers was indeed first, but then we were created later anywhere, and that wouldnt really benefit us because we simply started out there.

does that make sence?

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Im all honesty I haven't read most of the posts but I think God created the universe out of boredom. Maybe just because he/she/it could? Who knows.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Well I'd be curious as to what you have to say...

I was just saving time, thinking no one would really care what I thought. Looking back at your post, my little comment may not be all that accurate.
Part of the problem has to do with the original question that makes any attempt at answering seem a little off.
The word emanation seems odd to me and kind of goes along with the posed question about whether God actually designed anything.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
that seems to be the only logical answer to the creation of the universe. but i still dont buy that. does the bible state somewhere to why it created the universe? im sure its not just like

And then the lord was bored, and so he created the universe.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I am not a christian, nor do I subscribe to any religion.
However, I think, if an abrhamic god is god; the universe was created to give worth to "god". Without something to control, "god" is not "god".
So, if the abrahaic god exists, the universe was only created to make "god into god". In other words, god created the unverse for self-validation. Because "he" is a vain, human-like jerk.

My personal belief is that god = the creative/destructive forces of the universe; and the universe just is.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by floppynoodleson666

i completely agree. but if then that leads to another question. What was god befor he was a god?

lol. ill keep away from that though, we'll stick with christian beliefs for now as i know a bit more about them so i can actually make a feasible argument. thanks for the input though!

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Imagine an infinite loop of big bangs - big crunches
a "big bounce" .. or more of a "Big Breathe"

Whereas it never began and it never ends.

Where a sole amalgamate of ALL, which has resolved all imbalances, and corrected all flaws, where all matter has organized itself finally in perfect union with itself and perfect awareness..

This union of all, this complete and absolute completion of ORDER...
in an act of compassion and essentially... "loneliness".. explodes/implodes itself yet again into a BANG of total chaos, for the sole reason to experience more. To experience its/ourself yet again through its/ourselves. Through trillions of eyes.. through trillions of conscious organizations of matter (conscious beings)...

to experience all that there is to experience again... while all matter organizes and reorganizes itself through self-knowledge.. this one "being" this one "thing".. through multiple nodes of consciousness..
eventually reaches that same union again.. where it/he/she becomes..

the Almighty once again...

and the cycle repeats.

another implosion/explosion...big bang...
on to experience everything again...

he/we/it/she ... created "this" (that which we are experiencing) .. because there is only this to experience... and so much more..

Imagine we haven't reached the crest of the wave of expansion yet during this one expansion phase, thus we won't realize this theory until we see it's collapse.. or "embrace" happening... more so, that we as developed, merged souls.. would actually be the ones to CAUSE the crunch through our collective harmonized focused will.

I'm not Christian either, though was force fed every ounce of it's literature as a child...
If you are.. then the following may give you a bit more understanding as to what I'm portraying here...
Beyond a literal story-book interpretation of the mythological material.

Imagine the "Father" as the symbolic reference to the unionized Almighty that we eventually accumulate into.. only to "bang" into the "Son" ..giving birth to him...

The "Son" as the "Adam" the SPLIT the progeny of the explosion.. the result of the birth through the bang.. the "Christ" as the "crystallization" that perfect pattern that conscious organizations of matter eventually needs to put itself into... crystal.. the most geometrically and perfectly efficient method of transmitting data through itself.
Christ - Chrystal - Crystal...

And the Holy Spirit.. as the LITERAL REFERENCE to what we all are.. as I am describing now. One whole entity.. experiencing itself subjectively through itself.

P.S. - don't fear the reaper..

-

[edit on 7-10-2008 by prevenge]

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join