It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major Bolide Forecast Tonight; No Damage Expected

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
Thing probably burned so high up there is no good photos/video of it.

The opposite is in fact true - the higher up it became luminous, the better the chance of someone seeing/photographing it from further away! I expect at least somebody caught it, but we should find out soon enough!

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

Well there was a 4.6 seismic event in the Hindu Kush region at 2:52 .....but since quakes happen there all the time I am thinking it was not an impact.

Still.... Many amateur astronomers would have their scopes pointed at this thing right? Not one of them are ATS members.... Nobody has anything more to say on this?... Did the darn thing take up a parking orbit?!?!

What gives?!!

[edit on 6-10-2008 by titorite]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I haven't seen anything anywhere about it. No follow up.
News usually travels very fast these days... Strange.

Maybe it hit?!?!?!? LOL! Just kidding.

I'd say someone captured a streak. Hopefully youtube will have it soon.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Not necessarily. Depends on composition of the meteor and angle of entry. Both have a significant impact on how quickly and brightly it would burn and also how luminous said event would be.

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.

Originally posted by princeofpeace
Thing probably burned so high up there is no good photos/video of it.

The opposite is in fact true - the higher up it became luminous, the better the chance of someone seeing/photographing it from further away! I expect at least somebody caught it, but we should find out soon enough!

[edit on 6-10-2008 by princeofpeace]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
This article blog.wired.com... says that meteors of this size enter our atmosphere every few months. That's news to me. From reading ATS today, I thought this was a rare event.

The blog-article also states that there will be many astronomers filming this meteor's entry because it's the first one where we've had advance notice.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by carewemust]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Ok, let's start counting off the non-events.

Here is one. Tomorrow night at this time we will be laughing at all the many predictions of a terror attack...

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
My brother actually belongs to a club where both amateurs and astronomers meet in different areas of Arizona. This may have been his club that nailed this one. I will have to check with him tomorrow.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Thats what ive been trying to say!! This nothing new...happens all the time. Its just fearmongering and terror being spread by ATS surrounding the Oct 7th date. When the 7th comes and goes with nothing happening i hope folks learn to start taking ATS info with a HUGE grain of salt.

In other words, if you see it posted on here, dont believe because it is not gonna happen. Do the oppositie LOL.

Originally posted by carewemust
This article blog.wired.com... says that meteors of this size enter our atmosphere every few months. That's news to me. From reading ATS today, I thought this was a rare event.

The blog-article also states that there will be many astronomers filming this meteor's entry because it's the first one where we've had advance notice.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by carewemust]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   

y because it's the first one where we've had advance notice.

Yes - and that is actually bad news, isn't it?

The fact is most such objects aren't detected until they have already passed by the Earth.

Case in point:

On Friday, June 14, 2002, a humongous asteroid missed the Earth by a distance of less than 1 LD.

It was discovered three days later.

ORB

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Maybe it slowed down and parked in orbit after deploying it's cloaking device. Or...one of those Chinese guys who missed the bus. Maybe the secret government fired one of those particle beams at it from Australia and chased it away.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Actually, you have to realize that 9/11, wars and rumors of wars, the outcome of Bush's reign of terror and much more has been discussed here and has indeed come true. Among many other subjects, so its unfair to say that if you hear it here it aint gonna happen.

WE do not make these predictions anyway. We get them from different sources and bring them here, because that is what we do here, and dissect them and everyone has a choice of beleiving or not.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   

That goes without saying obviously. It could have skimmed only very thin atmosphere , but I'm talking about if it hit at a reasonably high angle producing a fireball, then obviously the height at which it becomes easily viable is bound to be a factor in how may people manage to see it.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Specific examples please of: "the outcome of Bush's reign of terror and much more has been discussed here and has indeed come true."

I just have to know exactly what these predictions were and what came true and if possible link to threads started before and after.

If not, this is just more ATS BS.

Originally posted by dgtempe
Actually, you have to realize that 9/11, wars and rumors of wars, the outcome of Bush's reign of terror and much more has been discussed here and has indeed come true. Among many other subjects, so its unfair to say that if you hear it here it aint gonna happen.

WE do not make these predictions anyway. We get them from different sources and bring them here, because that is what we do here, and dissect them and everyone has a choice of beleiving or not.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
www.spaceweather.com... will have updates in a bit.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Well this part from the website already isnt true: "ASTEROID IMPACT: If predictions were correct, asteroid 2008 TC3 has hit our planet"

It hit and disintrigated in our atmosphere....it did NOT hit the planet. More sensationalism.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Yep I hear ya there. Then again I guess our atmosphere is an extension of our planet, at least in their eyes.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Hello People!
I've been follwing this event, and a couple of minutes ago I was watching the news and they commented about some strange phenomena that appeared over the skies of Buenos Aires, Argentina at about the 19:00 (22:00 UTC).
They were telling that this was a strong and bright light, and it vanished some minutes after.

I took some pics of the screen so here they are.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by chicofernet

Not connected with the topic unfortunately. That's a sun-lit contrail, and we get them on ATS all the time. That is an exceptionally bright one though I have to say!

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Wow Cool pictures. Not what I was expecting though... I thought it would look more like a shooting star.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
update here..not too thrilling
spaceweather.com...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join