It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Battle In Seattle!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I recently saw this FILM about the 1999 WTO riots in Seattle. Anyway, it's a far left Hollywood rant against corporations. Woody Harrelson is in it! It got me thinking though, what is wrong with Globalization? I personally love corporations. I like how they usually look after their employees with good benefits, bonues etc. Where in God's name would we be without them? The film annoyed me in that we (the audience) were supposed to feel bad/good about the rioters/protesters. I just got annoyed with them. What a worthless cause. I just felt bad for the WTO.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
If you want to see a more 'right wing' view of seattle 1999, then Alex Jones has a movie that covers it, I think one of the Police State series.

Anyway, with regards globalisation, I too think that it is probably inevitable, and maybe even desirable at some point. My problem with it is that I don't believe that people are ready for it yet, and there are problems with how it's being implemented.

One argument for, is that with just one state, who do you go to war with? However, on that same token, with just one state, if (or more likely when) it goes corrupt, who do you run to for help? Also many of the global bodies that are being set up are not elected by the people, so the current outlook of globalisation is not democratic.

Another issue I have is harmonisation of laws. We can see this is an aim from what we see in the EU, however this requires comprimises. Could you comprimise with for example Sharia law? Many people could not, and I am not knocking Sharia law, I'm sure those people who like that would not want to comprimise with our laws either.

Many peoples around the world are very nationalistic/patriotic, and just cannot accept this system yet. My personal view is that it will happen in the future, but we should not be trying to move too fast, if it is to happen, it should happen naturally. When people try to force it, it is usually for some personal gain, and as mentioned above, results in undemocratic bodies overruling us.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
are you flippin' kidding? must be a sarcastic post, correct? why would it be that you think corps are looking out for their workers? every benefit workers have earned have come from hard fought battles - from restricting child labor to safety regs to weekends to healthcare benefits. the list goes on and on. the chickens are coming home to roost here in America and the results of the pro-corp, anti-human theology that has held sway since 1980 will continue to profligate. good luck getting help from any soul-less corp when things get sticky - my bet is you'll be turning to your fellow humans not some artifice created in homage to greed.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Emma Smith

Thanks for letting us know your ideological leanings. What did you think of the Movie from a cinematic standpoint.

whaaa

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Ha! Well I think the movie was a little late, but it was still a decent story that needed to be told. I would of liked it better had it been done in the tradional fake documentary style, but all in all it was worth checking out. I won't spoil it for anyone, but there was a pretty alarming scene with Charlize Theron, that jarred me.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
If you want to see a more 'right wing' view of seattle 1999, then Alex Jones has a movie that covers it, I think one of the Police State series.

Anyway, with regards globalisation, I too think that it is probably inevitable, and maybe even desirable at some point. My problem with it is that I don't believe that people are ready for it yet, and there are problems with how it's being implemented.

One argument for, is that with just one state, who do you go to war with? However, on that same token, with just one state, if (or more likely when) it goes corrupt, who do you run to for help? Also many of the global bodies that are being set up are not elected by the people, so the current outlook of globalisation is not democratic.

Another issue I have is harmonisation of laws. We can see this is an aim from what we see in the EU, however this requires comprimises. Could you comprimise with for example Sharia law? Many people could not, and I am not knocking Sharia law, I'm sure those people who like that would not want to comprimise with our laws either.

Many peoples around the world are very nationalistic/patriotic, and just cannot accept this system yet. My personal view is that it will happen in the future, but we should not be trying to move too fast, if it is to happen, it should happen naturally. When people try to force it, it is usually for some personal gain, and as mentioned above, results in undemocratic bodies overruling us.

I can't really trust Alex Jones for accurate information. Don't get me wrong, I think he's an interesting person and probably has some valid points but he's too extreme for me.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
My guess is you haven't felt strongly enough about something to stand up and try to make your voice heard then.

These Corporations that you love rape the third world to give you those things you love. Those benefits you spoke of are gained through a long hard battle by the people that make that money for Corporations, the workers. I'm also guessing you don't know much about the history of Labour either.

Yes, Multinationals are good for us in the developed world but I think if you asked someone from a third world nation what they think about Nike, Vodaphone, Dow, Monsanto, Disney, Veolia et all, they may have a different opinion than your own.

Look into Bolivia and their fight against big TransNationals.

The history of the modern world is full of stories of the average person struggling for basic Rights against Corporations.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
No I stand up for plenty. I just don't really like Alex Jones because he's too extreme in his views of things. I like the happy medium. Like the expression goes "the truth lies somewhere in between".

new topics

top topics

join