It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How has the financial crisis effect you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
How have you been impacted? Is the impact real or is the impact more along the lines of worry and stress?

For me and my family, we have seen my retirement account take a huge hit. My wifes was in a cash position at the first of the year so hers is actually up a fraction.

Thats the real impact for us. But the pshycological impact is much more pronounced. We never keep cash at home or on us but we have slowly been increasing the amount we keep on hand. We keep the cars full of gas all the time, and I have stocked up our pantry to its fullest since the millenium bug fear. We have put off minor and major purchases for the time being even though we could pay cash for them just because we want that liquidity. That being said if the whole system goes down, the cash wont be worth all that much.

What effect has it had on you?

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
i just bought a home and am waiting for my mortgage to become final. So only stress if the bank will still give me the money

And furthermore...i only have depts and no savings...so no problem over here, i guess...

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
There must be somethig wrong somewhewre. Lets go to the root of the problem we are facing.

Do everyone of us still, at least by now, that our living syatem is THE right and best way of handling our economic, political or social affairs?

Lets think seriously.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

A big effect.

Without going in to too much detail.... I am currently in the process of, and have almost completed ,Selling my half of the business to my partner...for not such a good price

I feel that i need to get out of what I'm doing and take time to evaluate... the last few month have been exhausting,Both financially and emotionally.
I will still be relatively secure financially, but i don't know what the future holds so, it's hard to say.

But i am optimistic, i just feel now is the time for change and i am looking forward to the future.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
this hasn't effected me really at all.
thankfully...
but i am still young and i know that i will certainly be effected in the future.
this year (for me) i must say has been the worst year of my life, so far.. and if this all was effecting me on top of my personal reasons... i would probably be hospitalized.

take care
godbless.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
My Bosses offered me a great deal on the house I live in. I was to have gifted equity, and an automatic equity gain of $5000.00 per year for 13 years. But to do it I had to raise my rent back in December.

June was to be the month that I was to get the loan.

No loan. So for a Christmas bonus I got a 60% raise in rent!

Why me o'Lord? I would like to move on, but I can't because of the world meltdown. I'm stuck, and I barely get by.

On the bright side, I still have a roof over my head, I am debt free, and I have enough food to last me two years. Who knew? It's like I was never to have more than I need.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I'm laid off from work, who knows if they will even call me back. I've had to cut back on everything. My husband 401K is just about non existant. The only good thing was I took out a 15 year half pay mortgage and we only have 5 years left.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
For me, I'm very much sheltered, I have almost no debt and I am in the military, so I'll pretty much always have a place for me and my family to sleep and food to eat. My retirement account has taken quite the hit, though.

Now the rest of my family in TN are in a different position altogether. My mother has lost her home, been laid-off and is currently struggling to find a job. My father is doing fine for now, but worries about his mortgage rising in the future. The gas shortage hasn't helped things, either. All in all, I'm struggling to remain optimistic, but that's all we can ever do anyways, right?

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I haven't had any problems...

I'm still with my parents, but our home is in a neighborhood where houses are upwards of $1.3 million. I've got more room here than I would in an apartment, since it's only them and I.

I usually see Ferrari and Lamborghini sports cars in the neighborhood...

In addition, I recently graduated from college with a degree in engineering, and found a job only 15 miles from home. The salary is pretty good, so I'm saving just about everything I earn.

top topics

join