It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can't discuss the elections/politics at work?!?!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
MODS: I don't know if this is in the right place, but since it was pertaining to politics and the election, I put it here. If it is the wrong place, please move it.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is it still "permissible" to talk about the elections and politics in the workplace?

Now, just to clarify, I work for the government, so this is an odd situation for me.

We have a "guide book" for employees pertaining to political activity. All of it is pretty much easy to understand and fair. No political rallies at work, no campaigning at work, no wearing of political buttons at work, no running for public office while you are on duty, etc. Those I understand and agree with.

But, there are a couple of others that really bug me. One, no political bumper-stickers on cars. Now, personally, I don't like bumper-stickers, but still..... That's just ridiculous.

The one that really gets me is: Employees can discuss politics, the campaigns, and the election......as long as it is not during working hours. And, now, they are threatening employees with dismissal if they are caught talking about the election to each other during the day while they are at work.

Is anyone else going through this, at either public or private workplaces?

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
It is kind of ironic no?

Here we are, faced with the highest civic duty beyond participating in a jury, but you can't discuss it.

The most important single event in the country which happens every four years, and it can't be examined by the very people who it affects the most.

Disconnect? Yup.

Partisanship is one thing, politician/celebrity worship is another, but the future of the nation allegedly rides on the citizens consensus on it's political leaders. But the government is saying 'hands-off' topic.

Perhaps it's their way of reaffirming that which many have said. They don;t care what you think. They don't care about politics. They just want you to work productively, so you can be taxed. And maybe fight in a war for them.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Sorry if this has already been said but had to add...

How old are you, purely out of curiosity? - Politics an religion are never easy to talk about, even less at work because the people being addressed are hardly your friends. I'm sure you'd like this to seem like some sort of odd conspiracy for the upcoming elections but this is 100% normal. It's even cliche brother.

peace
J

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mortalengine

FYI....

I am in my early thirties and work at a military installation, and the guide book was written by higher ups in the military. It isn't like we are at Wal-Mart or something like that.

And, I don't remember mentioning anything about a conspiracy.....

[edit on 10/6/2008 by skeptic1]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
It is kind of ironic no?

It is considering who I work for. I was just wondering if anyone else was going through anything like this.

I know that this political season is heated, but implicitly stating that employees can discuss events anywhere but at work and threatening dismissal if one is caught discussing politics at work is a bit extreme.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I've worked for government in the UK a few times, and we were never told of any such rules here, however I soon tired of discussing these topics, as about 80-90% of people who work in government (from my personal experience anyway) appear very conservative, and I'm a bit too liberal, so people would end up hating me.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I work for a software developer, a very small company of about 7 people. We don't have any rules in the Employee Manual about discussing politics, religion or sex but i know better than that.

A few years ago, at a different company, I was on a 15 minute break outside and overheard a woman boasting about her christian religion, talking down about gays, and saying that anyone who didn't believe in Jesus Christ was going straight to hell and she had no sympathy for them. She ruined my break and honestly destroyed my opinion of her. I did the right thing and filed a complaint with the HR department immediately thereafter.

About 30 minutes after filing the complaint, a company wide email was sent out that said basically no talking about religion on company time, etc. The email then proceeded to call me out BY NAME as the person who filed the complaint. Turns out i was one of the only people in the company who wasn't a devout christian.

At my current job, I strive to make my co-workers more aware of politics. I don't want them to vote any specific way, but I do want them to vote with their brains. It's funny though because I was a Ron Paul supporter and yet everyone seemed to think I was an Obama supporter. I don't know why. I guess it's because I wasn't a McCain supporter and they all are.

top topics

join