It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Economic Independence - Will you Change?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I think people need to think through a plan in their heads, as to what they might need to do. When crunch time happens, there might not be much time for relaxed consideration of options, but if you've already plotted out the possibilities, you can respond faster.

/4ll9ke

Some photos to cheer you (if you need cheering)

/4dbwgd

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

I've tried growing tomatoes and yellow squash at least 3 times, so have my neighbors. We live in the city limits, and someone told me last year we can't grow them because there are no bees left. I read something on the internet that said you can trick them into polinating by lightly touching the inner part of the blooms. No luck there either so we've all given up. This is why I started another thread about wanting to get my sons and their girlfriends to all go in with me and sell our places and buy about 5 acres out in the country, where we can have the resources to survive better.

Er, sorry OP, this thread has gotten off-topic and I didn't help.

Let's get back to the topic of finding out who is and isn't willing to make drastic changes in their lifestyle.

[edit on 7-10-2008 by Bombeni]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

I don't believe our responses always need to be sudden or drastic. Certainly in these charged times, the impetus to prepare seems or is more urgent.

Saving money is what kicked-started us towards living minimally, and then the desire to make the transition to a possible grid off situation easier. Where we live, our power is derived from giant diesel generators, and it's not uncommon for the power to be out -- most of us have little systems to make that easier (battery-powered fans, etc.) Also, propane cooking is pretty common here -- also not electricity-dependant. Since our power is fuel based, when fuels have gone up in cost, so has the power. Plus, a person gets some comfort in the idea of contributing less toward oil/fuel dependency.

Transportation is another arena that is difficult, and involves serious choices, in that not everyone can bike to and from work or use public transportation. Sometimes sacrifices are required.

I don't think that your paragraph about pollination of plants was off-topic.... it's part of the whole picture IMO. When pollinating tomatoes, it's the vibratory action of the natural pollinators that causes release within the plant. My Mom always gently shook the tomato flowers, and that's the method I use as well, as we have no bees here. I'm sure you can do the same, as well as for your other yellow-flowering food plants. Here's a link to more info: www.pollinator.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
YEA !!!
At this point most of the beliefs the founding father's held have deteriorated beyond belief.
Can you imagine what they would say as they watched American citizens being arrested for standing on a park bench and speaking their minds on any subject they choose. As soon as they heard the police say "unlawful assembly due to lack of permit", their jaws would hit the ground.

I actually started thinking about this 6 months ago, along the lines of what skills do we (me & my husband) have that could benefit a society if things drastically change. Started doing everything I can to stock up. Met neighbors I only nodded to before. The list is longer but I know you only wanted a Yea or nay. Sorry for the rant.

[edit on 9-10-2008 by seejanerun]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by seejanerun

Yes, they certainly would!

Thanks Jane!

AB1

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
So Far:

Yea - 9
Nay - 1

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
YEA! To alphebetaone i`m all for it but until the people of this world learn to stand up for them selves there is not to much we can do for now.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by alphabetaone

voted for your basic idea -can we expand on it as to ways and means of making changes which will affect the world . i posted something on sizzles one post and i lost my original list due to hackers ,but there was something i posted there which kind of blew her mind and set it to racing .1 idea can blossom and bear fruit a little latter once the word and idea begins to get out.
at our finger tips is the greatest tool and weapon ever invented -our computers-instantly we can e-mail or send messages all around this world -just think of what we could accomplish if we the people stood hand and hand with one another and we all worked together with out any fear or indifference to one another no matter what your faith religion or beliefs are ,and skin color also has no bearing on any thing -put your differences aside as well as your precedences in other words -LEAVE YOUR EGOS AT THE DOOR .

WOULD YOU ALL LIKE TO TAKE THE FIGHT TO THEM AND WIN !
as i`ve had it with their crap how about the rest of the human race -SPECIES-

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
i've certainly changed to a more simple life (forced); however, as a result i have come to know that the simple life (no possessions other than clothing, a few books and absolute necessities) are all i need. i would love to have a bicycle and a backpack, fishing pole - things i am unable to buy because i live w/a complete moron and a male who knows everything so what should one do? i concerve on water, save cans, i do not throw food away and i have been screaming about this for some time now but no one listens............possibly a few.............i am so stressed at this point but i do know that when people get hungry they get angry so welcome to the North American Union.

sorry for the rant! YEA

[edit on 16-10-2008 by musselwhite]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
That makes thus far:

11 - Yea
1 - Nay

AB1

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Yea for me too, recently i thought about going to a new-age village where they did everything themselves but decided against it for the time being (want to be with friends and family for the time to come). But if the opportunity arises i will take it and if need be create my own.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Count thus far:

Yea - 12
Nay - 1

AB1

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Tally another Yea vote.

Since I've been reading about this global meltdown coming for more than five years, I've had time to make changes. Honestly, the changes began a few years ago. My dear husband and kids are FINALLY listening.

First thing I did was to cut up the credit cards. Nothing is bought on credit. I've stuck to that so our only debt is our home.

I've bought $500 cars. I've learned how to do minor repairs. I keep minimal insurance on them. In each trunk I have tools, oil, antifreeze, tranny fluid, etc so I hopefully won't have to call a tow truck.

I can/freeze food. We harvest our garden, I buy meat when it's on sale and of course, double on the canned goods. I had too many tomatoes and bartered them for grapes, for example.

I closed my business a year ago and took a job in an industry I KNEW would always be in demand until the end.... grocery. I can walk to work as it's only 5 blocks. If/when that goes bust, I do have skills such as sewing, construction, medicine, survival, etc that would be useful.

I'm now in the process of going through my house. I'm getting rid of/swapping anything that I don't think I'll have use for. The rest I'm organizing. I've been saving back things for too long that it almost looks like I'm a packrat!

One can never prepare enough for what might happen in the coming days, but I'm keeping a positive attitude!

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by alphabetaone

Count me in as well.. Ithaca, NY had a great system going..not sure if they still do or not..they are also working on an automated personal bubble car/transportation system as well (just trying to keep it from being a one liner lol)

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Thanks for replying you guys!

So far here's the tally:

Yea - 15

Nay - 1

AB1

[edit on 19-10-2008 by alphabetaone]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by picrat

can we expand on it as to ways and means of making changes which will affect the world . i posted something on sizzles one post and i lost my original list due to hackers

Hi picrat. Let me tell you my intent, in this thread I would like to see (numerics) how many people would actually like to do so. Then, after determining how many would, creating a new thread to solely discuss the ideas on how exactly to implement the changes, and what we can do, etc.

AB1

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by alphabetaone
in this thread I would like to see how many people would actually like to do so.
Then, after determining how many would, creating a new thread to solely discuss the ideas on how exactly to implement the changes, and what we can do, etc.

Jim Jones did the Peoples Temple thing down in the SA jungle...

he didn't have the internet to use as a brain storming sandbox either.

search: 'eco-village'... plenty of 'varieties' out there functioning right now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If i declare a 'Yea'.... then i could be put on a terrorist watchlist, not so far fetched .

[edit on 19-10-2008 by St Udio]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

The difference between me and Jim Jones is that:

a) I don't have mercury LOL
b) I'm not suggesting to actually do so, merely a scope of how people are willing to.

I am well cognizant of all the "Eco-Villages", I'm not certain they portray all the best options though. In fact, if you look at quite a few of them, they require a substantial investment simply to be a part of their "live off the land" municipality. That in itself would be somewhat counter-intuitive to the premise in a way. You know what I mean?

AB1

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Absolutely YES.

I've already started, with plans for more...

(No details, per your request...
)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join