It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

who edited the bible?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
what is thought to be the worlds oldest bible is to go online soon after being digitized and it tells a very different story to the modern day bible.

the codex sinaiticus has lain undisturbed in saint catherine's monestry in egypt for centuries, where the dry climate preserved it. the monks say it was stolen in 1844 and was split between several countries. the separated books will become reunited for all to read next month

there are 2 extra books that are not included in modern bibles and they are pretty controversial.

it also says

The Codex - and other early manuscripts - do not mention the ascension of Jesus into heaven, and omit key references to the Resurrection, which the Archbishop of Canterbury has said is essential for Christian belief.

Other differences concern how Jesus behaved. In one passage of the Codex, Jesus is said to be "angry" as he healed a leper, whereas the modern text records him as healing with "compassion".

missing from the book is the story of jesus and the adulterous woman who was about to be stoned.

full story here

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Space aliens? I don't know, just throwing that out there. There is publishing companies in other quadrants of the galaxy, some nerdy bookworms that are 50 feet tall and 50 miles long! Scary.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by justyc
it also says

The Codex - and other early manuscripts - do not mention the ascension of Jesus into heaven, and omit key references to the Resurrection, which the Archbishop of Canterbury has said is essential for Christian belief.

full story here

This is misleading! The contentious passage is Mark 16:8-20, which originally ends with an empty tomb. All of the differences in Sinaiticus have been accounted for (read the footnotes!) in the NIV, which means that the only people this will surprise are those who have never touched a Bible in their lives or are still doggedly clinging to the 1611 King James.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by Eleleth]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eleleth

Originally posted by justyc
it also says

full story here

This is misleading!
[edit on 6-10-2008 by Eleleth]

well take it up with the bbc. i only quoted that paragraph from their webpage.

[edit on 7-10-2008 by justyc]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
its no secret sir francis bacon edited the bible...

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I would like someone who believes the current bible is the inerrant word of god to explain to me why this older bible is not and why god would have it survive all this time. I also would like to know why the older bible is more errant than today's bible. Did god not want the ancients to know the true word of god in today's scriptures?

Has god ever in any way put a seal of approval on any religion or bible?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
who edited the bible? On a material level, IMHO, probably politicians.

(feel free to ignore the rest of this post, the rest is merely an attempt to not make a one line post)

Here's how I look at it: Most christians are great people(I hope), Jesus, the latest incarnation of krishna, or the latest famous buddha, spoke the truth(I believe), but what was actually said and in what context, was manipulated by leaving out a bunch of stuff and loss of meaning through multiple translations and church interpretations, and all it does is help the political movements of the time as well as today.
I look at christian followers as students of Jesus/truth, but I look at most all churches and their teachings, as well as religious establishments as endowments of satanism or materialism or idol worship(same thing). Beware of the great deception right?
I base my theory on my own personal interpretation of the DSS and my own ceremonial meetings with LOGOS.

If you read the bible, without ever having an establishments or sect's opinionated interpretation bias your own interpretation, you probably will end up with more of an eastern philosophy than a western one. In fact, if you are really analytical about it, youll start to ponder what was left out through translation, which will lead you to some pretty interesting insights and liberating ideas.

All in all, the wondering of who what and why of the editing of the bible, I just have to deny all spoken confused human languages and all that they have presented me, and converse with god in my own non verbal materially detached tongue/experience of prolonged silence(meditation), and surprisingly, thats when god started speaking back quite clearly and my prayers started getting answered. I stopped praying within the duality that pastors and priests taught me to, and began praying with absolution gained from insight of the DSS, Bible and the Tao, and every single one of my prayers has been answered since.

So who edited the bible? ultimately on a spiritual level, God did, because through confusion, one ultimately finds clarity, it can happen no other way. God is all there is, everything else is illusion, when you look at everything that way, you begin to see the master plan in every single pixel of experience... You are God pretending to be you.
God plays the roles of both good and evil to ultimately show you a higher path, a higher dimension that is beyond the duality of this dimension, a higher path that ultimately leads right back into the source.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Ok I'll give it a shot.

The Bible you read today? That would have to be Martin Luther when he translated the bible so all could read it.

The original bible, a bunch of Priests, Monks or whatever you choose to call them locked in a cellar of the Vatican or where ever they went to try and translate it from the scrolls they had in ancient times.

If on a game show that would be my answer.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Who edited the Bible?

Almost everyone who got their hands on it.

Translators (even St. Jerome, who translated the first Bible into Latin) had to edit some lines... and some were fixed to be more "political" in the King James English version. But every version and every translation has been edited in some way.

The Bible itself is an edited manuscript made of 66 books (70 if you're Catholic) which were selected out of several hundred books and letters about Jesus and Christians and Jews.

Christian translators apparently tweaked a few passages in the Old Testament to make them appear to refer to Jesus.

The Book of Job appears to be an newer tale written (edited) into and around a much older tale.... and so on and so forth. Do some study on the history of the Bible (the book) and you'll find many interesting changes. Do some comparative reading, too, of the different versions of the Bibles (both the very old and the very new) and you'll see how people edited to make the Bible say what THEY felt Yahweh was telling them.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Who edited the bible?

Answer: People that could read.

If it was permitted I'd finish the post right there but since length is required. Here's some unsettling and sad history.

The Bible wasn't the "Bible" for a long time. Hell, people wrote the bloody thing. They wrote it way after Christ (Or whatever name you want to give him) was dead and his story lasted about as long as the event it records happened. After that it was up to word of mouth, which honestly may have been way more accurate than the people that wrote it down, and then the ones that wrote that down again before it ever got around to being all in one scroll. Then all those scrolls were gathered up many times and again before anyone decided to write those down again. They went through hundreds of translations, are still going through translations and some were lost. Of what survived and what got accepted that also was eventually funneled down and a Bible was written.

Then comes the Dark Ages. Some people, can't grasp this, but there was a really amazingly wonderful reason to call the Dark Ages just that. First of all, the greatest nation at the time which was also the one writing down and circulating Bible stuff just collapsed. Alot of chaos was going on and it lasted for 1,000 years. No nation came after that which was even closely equal to those that came before that time and that includes most of today's civilizations.
During those 1,000 years almost no one could speak and that remarkably declined. Most of even the "scholars" couldn't speak. Those that could read what they could of the Bible to others, and often not in a language they spoke. Most of those that could read, and again, that was very very few, couldn't read all that well.
They even forgot how to make paper and even lamb skin to record on. So they eventually gave in to scrapping off old documents for making copies of ones they felt were important. The very terrible result was that not only did they destroy their old documents, but they also managed to destroy most of the records of ancient history. Christians don't weep much over this unless it has Jesus of Nazareth written in gold letters to with hidden images of the Holy Virgin hidden all through the aging lines of whatever document. For the rest of the world's historians, it's a bit of a frustrating. And, more than a few good Christian scholars have wept over that loss.

Who reword the Bible? Some very stupid, very confused, and not all that informed people that often couldn't read. Who told them to rewrite it? People of not much greater caliber but great likeness.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Stumbled across this, not done watching yet.

Google Video Link

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Old_One
Who edited the bible?

Answer: People that could read.

If it was permitted I'd finish the post right there but since length is required. Here's some unsettling and sad history.

The Bible wasn't the "Bible" for a long time. Hell, people wrote the bloody thing. They wrote it way after Christ (Or whatever name you want to give him) was dead and his story lasted about as long as the event it records happened. After that it was up to word of mouth, which honestly may have been way more accurate than the people that wrote it down, and then the ones that wrote that down again before it ever got around to being all in one scroll. Then all those scrolls were gathered up many times and again before anyone decided to write those down again. They went through hundreds of translations, are still going through translations and some were lost. Of what survived and what got accepted that also was eventually funneled down and a Bible was written.

Then comes the Dark Ages. Some people, can't grasp this, but there was a really amazingly wonderful reason to call the Dark Ages just that. First of all, the greatest nation at the time which was also the one writing down and circulating Bible stuff just collapsed. Alot of chaos was going on and it lasted for 1,000 years. No nation came after that which was even closely equal to those that came before that time and that includes most of today's civilizations.
During those 1,000 years almost no one could speak and that remarkably declined. Most of even the "scholars" couldn't speak. Those that could read what they could of the Bible to others, and often not in a language they spoke. Most of those that could read, and again, that was very very few, couldn't read all that well.
They even forgot how to make paper and even lamb skin to record on. So they eventually gave in to scrapping off old documents for making copies of ones they felt were important. The very terrible result was that not only did they destroy their old documents, but they also managed to destroy most of the records of ancient history. Christians don't weep much over this unless it has Jesus of Nazareth written in gold letters to with hidden images of the Holy Virgin hidden all through the aging lines of whatever document. For the rest of the world's historians, it's a bit of a frustrating. And, more than a few good Christian scholars have wept over that loss.

Who reword the Bible? Some very stupid, very confused, and not all that informed people that often couldn't read. Who told them to rewrite it? People of not much greater caliber but great likeness.

Thank you for writing this post, it saved me doing the same thing.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Theres good evidence supporting the possiblity that Shakespear had his hand in a little editing on the King James version.

[edit on 31-10-2008 by 1Veritas]

new topics

top topics

join