It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Website Redesign In The Works --- Sneak Peek...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
We've been working on a wholesale redesign of the ATS website behind the scenes and have a sneak peek at the new design of the main site home page for our members.

This redesign will not be as dramatic as past projects, such as the significant relaunch of ATS under the "Dark Matter" design nearly two years ago. Our goal here is to improve the overall user experience while updating the look and feel without a dramatic change (no small task).

Here is a preview of the current status of the redesign: new site home.
And you can compare with the existing old site home as it sits today.

While much of the overall structure of the content of our pages will remain the same, the new design of the home page will trickle-down into the entire site and will hopefully improve some lingering usability issues and provide more consistent and obvious linkages to wide range of content that has resulted from nearly 5 million posts.

Additionally, as "HTML Aficionados" will notice, the new layout is 100% CSS-driven for improved efficiency and display flexibility. So hopefully, the new design looks like this screen capture for most of our members and visitors.

(NOTE: The upper-right search box is not yet member-aware and is showing a log-in link, the live version will be aware if a user is a logged-in member or guest... right now it's showing what a guest will see. Also, some of the links may not yet be fully functional.)

Looking forward to your feedback.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Great redesign however I would have one suggestion:

Please make the links bar (home, states, feeds etc including recent posts) slightly more prominent. I find that this is usually the tool I use to browse ATS.

Thanks and regards.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Looks like the search feature has been revamped

Thanks for all your hard work

Also, I like how on the right side of the *advanced search* are all the links to important need to know threads: avatars, etc.

[edit on 10/6/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Is nice.

I, surprisingly, also have a tiny suggestion.
Could we have a permanent U2U link/shortcut at the top of the page instead of it showing up only when we have incoming.
It's a drag having to go through the "MemCenter" page.
Thank you.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
so is the search function going to be the same old google search or is it new and improoved, please say it's new and impooved..

looks good though, it feels a more logical layout

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Is nice.

I, surprisingly, also have a tiny suggestion.
Could we have a permanent U2U link/shortcut at the top of the page instead of it showing up only when we have incoming.
It's a drag having to go through the "MemCenter" page.
Thank you.

I also agree with this.

And I think my only other suggestion would be.....to have the "online" member status show in the users profile, as it does in the avatar section. The front page stats are not always reliable, as it shows someone logged in for up to an hour, after they have logged out

As it is right now, I have to go to the user's profile, find a post they made, go to that post and look in their avatar to see if they are currently online. Takes forever

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
so is the search function going to be the same old google search or is it new and improoved, please say it's new and impooved..

looks good though, it feels a more logical layout

I tried it out and it appears it might be the same, however, there are a few more fields to narrow down your search, including post author. Still need to play around with it

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I like the look of it
Nice work fella's. The only suggestion that comes to mind at the moment which has already been mentioned is making the links bar at the top more prominent. I use that bar quite a fair bit and I like the look of it as it stands now.

Apart from that a job well done

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I like it! When do you think it will be done being 'tweaked'?

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I dont like it .nah im jokeing .......one of the major draws for to ATS in the beginning for me was the way the site looks and the way it is layed out.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Really nice redesign. It looks much less chaotic and easier to use.

I agree with those who have recommended making the bar across the top a bit bigger. It's what I use to get around too.

Good work, and I think you'll end up seeing it pay off in more return visits as the site becomes more navigable.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Nice work, SO.

IMHO:

Good

Overall appearance slick.

"Hottest discussion forums right now" - an interesting addition. (In view of the number of forums, could a >> possibly be added to the right that would move the list left to bring in the next 9 in line?)

Tabs at the top neat. However they do look smaller than they deserve.

Forum list is now more prominent.

Liberal use of forum icons is nice.

Other Thoughts

The top 4 threads have a faint separator line, which to my eye looks tidier than nothing, which is the case lower down. Also a faint horizontal line between threads would arguably provide a tidier appearance.

Might it be worth putting the FAQ on the homepage? It might save a lot of 'I'm lost' threads/posts from newcomers.

'Stats' are very hidden at the bottom. Might they perhaps be better placed on a tab at the top? Such a thorough and interesting page - it seems a pity to hide it.

Large grey titles could perhaps be made to stand out more. Perhaps a little too subtle?

Seems like the 'Content Archive' has now gone.

The "You have 3 Messages" advert - normally a long rectangle across the top is not only still present, it screams at you in the form of a large square. Aaaagh! (Although I'd never click on such a virus-looking advert newcomers could take it for a - cheap-looking - integral element of the site.)

As I say, nice going, in any case!

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Aging Eyes here says that it is very appealing, especially the right hand column of ATS forums. On this I agree with greeneyedleo.

As for the direct link to u2u's one more mouse click isn't such a drag to me. One more mouse click hasn't killed us yet. But if necessary, the first choice under clicking the Member Center could be the u2u center.

I also like the overall color scheme being used, the blue-grey, white lettering. It is easy on the eyes.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
great work SO
really like it
it is very well aranged, much clearer than the current layout!
easier to find the way through

i second schrodiger's dog to have a permanent u2u button in the menu bar
and it would be really helpful to have the menu bar a bit more highlighted.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
...and I had just sent a suggestion about this like 2 days ago...

Was that a prediction?

Great work with the new design

[edit on 6-10-2008 by Taledus]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
You know what I want?

Navigation page numbers at the bottom of the "recent posts" thread. That way, I wouldn't have to scroll to the top every time to go to the next page.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I like it.

Looks very clean and smooth. Much more "adult" if that's the right word.

I'm actually surprised to see so many others in agreement of the pending change though.

I seem to remember outrage at each of the previous site redesigns.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I like it!

But as others have said, I use the links bar as my main tool for navigation and would also like to see that afforded a little more prominence.

The other think I think would be nice is to see a little... more on the screen with which one is first approached with. As it stands there are only 4 of the hottest threads displayed. I really like the list of newest threads with replies somewhere near the bottom. As I check the site fairly regularly I like to see whats new, especially new things with replies! Can that perhaps be moved onto the cover page?

Overall a fantastic design, I'm also getting the 'mature' vibe and am liking the creamy colours.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Nice, clean design. Intuitive nav bar. Easy on the eyes.

Overall, I give it two thumbs up!

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Nice color scheme.
..but the MSNBC section is still there.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join