It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stocks Tumble at Open

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

the bailout is a dog and pony show for the masses- the Feds have been putting in fiat money for weeks-

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by patriot jim

pumping liquidity into the markets is completely different from what the bailout plan does.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   

As a matter of percentage, the market is now lower than last week's 777 fall.

:shk:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
The lowest I saw it at point wise was 799. I'm curious to see what this will do to the world markets.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Number wise it might get there too loam.

At 14:56 EST it's 752.19 in the red...13 more minutes and we'll see if there's a freefall or not, and if so, could well be substantially higher.

AB1

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797

Originally posted by Wise Dome
The bailout didn't do anything but freeze the market.

People are not spending their capital if there's 700B out there. This is a FREEZE because we are covering the losses of companies with this nonsense.

The epic failure of logic in this statement is simply staggering.

First, the 700 billion isn't "out there", its a promise of 700 billion dollars to buy up assets. There is a freeze...because we are covering companies losses? Do you even read what you write?

The banks freeze up because they have these bad assets...then you say they are freezing up because we are going to take those bad assets off their hands? Honestly, are you really reading what you write?

The ignorance is staggering.

You want to defend this mess because you bought into it.

When I say the 700 Billion is out there, I mean that people will not spend there capital until they see how the 700B is spent and this is why you have a freeze.

I though that was easy to understand but for some reason that went over your head.

Since the bailout the stock market has been tanking because why should they spend there capital when they might get a piece of the 700 billion turkey that you and some others obviosly supported.

Yes, there's a freeze because we just passed a 700 billion dollar bill that we didn't have to. We did that to cover there losses.

Why can't you understand something so simple?

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

As a matter of percentage, the market is now lower than last week's 777 fall.

:shk:

Luckily I am sure a lot of people got out of this long before. The money will also be made back. There are some real solid stocks you can buy today that will surely rise in the future.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   

First, the 700 billion isn't "out there", its a promise of 700 billion dollars to buy up assets. There is a freeze...because we are covering companies losses? Do you even read what you write?

The banks freeze up because they have these bad assets...then you say they are freezing up because we are going to take those bad assets off their hands? Honestly, are you really reading what you write?

$250 billion was available immediately and that is on top of the over 1 trillion that has been poured into the system by the FED. Face it this bailout was never about unfreezing the credit market or saving Joe sixpacks 401k. This was a bank blackmail and since it was passed the market has fallen over 1000 pts and Im sure it will be close to 2000 or more when its all said and done. But I will say Im not totally pessimistic I am starting to do a little more shopping on these nicely discounted goods.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mybigunit

$250 billion was available immediately and that is on top of the over 1 trillion that has been poured into the system by the FED. Face it this bailout was never about unfreezing the credit market or saving Joe sixpacks 401k. This was a bank blackmail and since it was passed the market has fallen over 1000 pts and Im sure it will be close to 2000 or more when its all said and done. But I will say Im not totally pessimistic I am starting to do a little more shopping on these nicely discounted goods.

Exactly,

This was the banks saying bail us out or crumble and congress blinked.

Now we will be in the tank for more than a trillion dollars and we have a 10 trillion dollar debt because we will have to pay for the expansion of government to manage these assets.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Another poster mentioned this earlier in the thread, but just now, an in-studio talking head on Fox News again mentioned that safe sales were through the roof.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by netwarrior
I hate being right. I made a prediction several months ago that interesting things were going to happen when the dow went below 10k.

It appears that I was not mistaken.

Haha..no offense buddy but I think it's quite obvious and a given that 'interesting things' would happen if the Dow ever dropped 1000+ below 10k...

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
The bailout package wasnt designed to take effect immediately. Just because it was passed didnt mean it went into immediate effect. In fact some of the first monies involved with package wont be available for weeks. A lot of people on here act like this money has already been distributed to the banks.

Yes, but fear is what causes sell-offs. Wouldn't hope cause buyers?

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
This could be a dead-cat bounce just prior to a near closing sell-off, but the DOW is now back above 10k.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Looks like the anti-plunge team was there to save the day again

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

I can not wait to see the tab that we the tax payer will be forced to pay for all this.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by tide88
Luckily I am sure a lot of people got out of this long before. The money will also be made back. There are some real solid stocks you can buy today that will surely rise in the future.

Yep, like the companies that run the news. In seriousness, if you get a chance to check out Jim Kramer, the man understands. He can't predict the future, but he knows what can happen and why. He'd made mention of some companies profitting over banks having assets they can't unload:

Mad Money

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Lol and a final plummet before it's closing. It ought to stay below the 10k mark. It will make things more interesting.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I am having a hard time figuring out how the Dow was able to pull-off a 450-500 point from 800+ low. I have a feeling the bargain hunters is what is propelling the gains. The markets tonight will tell the tale where the Dow hits tomorrow. If the European and Asian Markets get socked again, then we will definitely see another 500 point drop...

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Another reason why this is going to jack up the economy is all the graduates and people looking for a job are going to have a tough time. I looked at my 401k and is says:

"Personal Rate of Return from 01/01/2008 to 10/03/2008 is -15.1%"

Now for me, I have some working years left, but this cripples those who were looking to retire soon...so we're going to have a lot of workers on the senior end of the spectrum still at their jobs trying to at least break even for retirement which means no turn-over on quality jobs. Also, companies may be looking to scale-back to reduce cost to make back gains. Recovery may happen, but I don't see how it would come quickly.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Another sign of massive, world-wide market manipulation (and a very easy way to appease the sheeple) is the sudden rise in strength of the dollar coupled with a dramatic decrease in the price of oil.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join